What's new
What's new

Boring Bar Question

gbflyer

Plastic
What is preferred for a small diameter solid carbide boring bar that has some reach to it? I see various models by Kyocera but there are so many choices that my head starts swimming. They all seem short, 1/2” or something. I tried to grind my own and I unsurprisingly snapped it off.

Minimum bore diameter will be your guiding factor, so how small you wanna go?

I've had good luck with Maritool's solid carbide insert-type bars. They start at 1/4" OD with .31" min ID. SOLID CARBIDE BORING BAR .250 MariTool

If that's not small enough, preground from Micro100 would be my next choice. https://p.widencdn.net/3dj8ro/Micro100_FullCatalog 6xD seems to be about the limit of their preground units, but they get as small as 0.050" min bore with .400" DOC.

Minimum bore diameter will be your guiding factor, so how small you wanna go?

I've had good luck with Maritool's solid carbide insert-type bars. They start at 1/4" OD with .31" min ID. SOLID CARBIDE BORING BAR .250 MariTool

If that's not small enough, preground from Micro100 would be my next choice. https://p.widencdn.net/3dj8ro/Micro100_FullCatalog 6xD seems to be about the limit of their preground units, but they get as small as 0.050" min bore with .400" DOC.

Excellent, very helpful. Thank you.

I’m not knowledgeable about insert tooling. I’ve got a few I seem to get along with but just out of sheer luck.

If a guy was looking at boring barrel steel material or similar, what would be a good insert? I have a manual lathe and I’m limited to about 800 rpm. Past that and it throws the belt[emoji1]. I’m working on a sight project for a model 92 clone and I don’t like what’s available commercially.

Thanks again for the guidance.

Still boils down to how small you wanna go. You boring pilot holes for #0-80 screws or rechambering a Mk45 deck gun?

I would like to be able to get small enough for a 8-40 screw for one application. .250 for another.

Why do you want to use a boring bar in this instance? Tiny holes mean tiny reaches. I would use a drill ( and ream if that much precision is needed.) A gun drill would probably be best (but not cheap) if the hole is really deep.

boring bars have a stickout length to diameter ratio
obviously when you get much above 5 you start have deflection issues
1" dia thats 5" stickout
0.1" dia thats 0.5" stickout
when you 2x stickout length deflection is 2x2x2 or 8x more
when you 3x stickout length its 3x3x3 or 27x more deflection
its one of those laws of the universe. it is what it is

Back