What can we as individuals or a group do about gun violence? - Page 100
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 100 of 101 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101 LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,000 of 2015
  1. #1981
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    People's Republic
    Posts
    3,102
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    225
    Likes (Received)
    2098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottl;3440825s
    , part of the motivation for removing Trump is his success confirming judicial appointees.
    The motivation for trumps impeachment is that he is a criminal and an incompetent

    that fact that he is usually unsuccessful in his criminal endeavors is irrelevant
    Last edited by gustafson; 11-13-2019 at 07:47 AM.

  2. Likes Greg White liked this post
  3. #1982
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    peekskill, NY
    Posts
    24,367
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    4477

    Default

    How about suing gun makers to stop gun violence? Oh, that pesky "can't sue gun manufacturers
    law." right?

    Oooops:

    Docket for 19-168

  4. #1983
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    176
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    57
    Likes (Received)
    142

    Default

    re: suing gun manufacturers

    Unless the injuries were caused by design or manufacture defect, there is no basis for the suit.

    The courts are not likely to proceed in a suit that sues Bic Pen because someone wrote a bad check.
    Ditto a suit against Ford because someone backed over your bicycle.
    Ditto a suit against Revere Ware because someone burned dinner.

    However, the courts may do anything they wish, and very little surprises me.

  5. #1984
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    peekskill, NY
    Posts
    24,367
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    4477

    Default

    [QUOTE=Kurt Learning;3442612
    However, the courts may do anything they wish, ...[/QUOTE]

    Or, NOT do anything they *don't* want to. Read the USSC decison....

  6. #1985
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Webster Groves, MO
    Posts
    7,254
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1821
    Likes (Received)
    3303

    Default

    This is dredging up old memories. Circa 1950, a St. Louis detective told about a guy he didn't like, so every time he saw him, he arrested the fellow and held him 20 hours for "questioning" as they could back before the police were hamstrung by nonsense like the Miranda and other civil rights decisions. One day the detective got a tip that his victim was carrying a gun and intended to kill him. That gave him the excuse he wanted and he arrested the guy, found the gun, and sent him to prison. Another story was about someone the police wanted to hassle, so they held him for 20 hours, then when they released him, had an officer on the sidewalk to turn him around for another 20 hours, and repeated and nauseam.

    That's the problem with methodology that might produce useful results. There will always be someone to abuse it.

    Bill

  7. #1986
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    2,175
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    999

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    That's the problem with methodology that might produce useful results. There will always be someone to abuse it.
    and the answer to that is .....


  8. #1987
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    People's Republic
    Posts
    3,102
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    225
    Likes (Received)
    2098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Learning View Post
    re: suing gun manufacturers

    Unless the injuries were caused by design or manufacture defect, there is no basis for the suit.

    The courts are not likely to proceed in a suit that sues Bic Pen because someone wrote a bad check.
    Ditto a suit against Ford because someone backed over your bicycle.
    Ditto a suit against Revere Ware because someone burned dinner.
    I tend to agree with this

    However, the logic behind the opiod lawsuits is similar

    There is a point at which a manufacturer is responsible for their own marketing.

    The opiod manufacturers were not just passively sitting back and selling what the market wanted

    Again, I agree with your point, but the gun makers should not be uniquely protected compared to other industries

  9. #1988
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Posts
    531
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1344
    Likes (Received)
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Learning View Post
    re: suing gun manufacturers

    Unless the injuries were caused by design or manufacture defect, there is no basis for the suit.

    The courts are not likely to proceed in a suit that sues Bic Pen because someone wrote a bad check.
    Ditto a suit against Ford because someone backed over your bicycle.
    Ditto a suit against Revere Ware because someone burned dinner.

    However, the courts may do anything they wish, and very little surprises me.
    I have heard -- and I hope it's untrue -- that a car manufacturer was successfully sued because the shadow from a car caused a person to not see a bump in the sidewalk and trip on it, injuring themselves.

  10. #1989
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    People's Republic
    Posts
    3,102
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    225
    Likes (Received)
    2098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yan Wo View Post
    I have heard -- and I hope it's untrue -- that a car manufacturer was successfully sued because the shadow from a car caused a person to not see a bump in the sidewalk and trip on it, injuring themselves.
    [I have heard]

    oh brother

  11. #1990
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    282
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    87
    Likes (Received)
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    I tend to agree with this

    However, the logic behind the opiod lawsuits is similar

    There is a point at which a manufacturer is responsible for their own marketing.

    The opiod manufacturers were not just passively sitting back and selling what the market wanted

    Again, I agree with your point, but the gun makers should not be uniquely protected compared to other industries
    What marketing? The hate-filled, self-projecting left owns 95% of all of the media market to advertise on and bans any form of firearm advertising even for stores that just want to sell accessories. The only way that the punk in question would even see a firearm ad is if his mom, who he murdered, to steal the gun SHE BOUGHT, was a subscriber to a magazine dedicated to fire-arms.

    So tell me from up on high on your soap box of BS, how did firearm advertising cause this?

  12. Likes Scottl, DrHook, shpxnvz liked this post
  13. #1991
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    People's Republic
    Posts
    3,102
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    225
    Likes (Received)
    2098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CAMasochism View Post
    What marketing? The hate-filled, self-projecting left owns 95% of all of the media market to advertise on and bans any form of firearm advertising even for stores that just want to sell accessories. The only way that the punk in question would even see a firearm ad is if his mom, who he murdered, to steal the gun SHE BOUGHT, was a subscriber to a magazine dedicated to fire-arms.

    So tell me from up on high on your soap box of BS, how did firearm advertising cause this?
    blah blah blah blah

    boring

    hate hate hate

    go buy a point

  14. #1992
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    282
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    87
    Likes (Received)
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    blah blah blah blah

    boring

    hate hate hate

    go buy a point
    Answer the question you damn coward.

  15. #1993
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    People's Republic
    Posts
    3,102
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    225
    Likes (Received)
    2098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CAMasochism View Post
    Answer the question you damn coward.
    the question?

    that you the right wing radical is hate filled and show it with your every posting?
    that you cannot imagine anyone disagreeing with a political opinion and not being full of hate because you yourself are filled with that hatred?


    oh not that question?

    It was an example, not a legal argument

    go buy a point

    coward indeed

  16. #1994
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    282
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    87
    Likes (Received)
    239

    Default

    I'll answer for you then. Marketing had NOTHING to do with what happened. It's just money and ONLY about money. There are no morals involved. At best it's some grieving parents being taken advantage of by soulless lawyers and politicians looking to make money and a name for themselves. At worst it's parents selling off their children for a buck.

    I had nothing to do with that shooting, NOBODY had ANYTHING to do with it other than the shit who did it. SO LEAVE THE REST OF US THE HELL ALONE.

  17. Likes mhajicek, Scottl, DrHook liked this post
  18. #1995
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    4,217
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4489
    Likes (Received)
    4376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    I tend to agree with this

    However, the logic behind the opiod lawsuits is similar

    There is a point at which a manufacturer is responsible for their own marketing.

    The opiod manufacturers were not just passively sitting back and selling what the market wanted

    Again, I agree with your point, but the gun makers should not be uniquely protected compared to other industries
    OK, using your logic shouldn't the makers of violent movies and video games also face liability for mass shootings?

    The reason the gun industry was protected is because well-funded anti-gun organizations were backing these lawsuits as part of their goal of eliminating ownership by civilians. Congress chose to act after complaints from constituents. These lawsuits are in the same spirit as former Massachusetts AG Harshbarger using his consumer safety authority to harass gun manufacturers by creating onerous "safety" requirements that prevented many well built high quality handguns from being sold in Massachusetts. This is the same Harshbarger who harassed licensed gun owners by encouraging police chiefs to attach a "rider" to all firearms licenses with additional restrictions that went way beyond the "Reason for Issuance" which was already at the discretion of chiefs.*

    * Typical "Reason for Issuance" examples included "Target and Hunting" or "Personal Protection". Harshbarger encouraged additional restrictions such as only while traveling to and from a range, only while hunting, or only while carrying large sums of cash.

  19. #1996
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    4,217
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4489
    Likes (Received)
    4376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    blah blah blah blah

    boring

    hate hate hate

    go buy a point
    Typical diversion tactic after being called out by the truthful statement that most media advertising is controlled by gun haters who won't allow gun ads. CAMasochism was 100% correct in pointing that out.

    If you wish to claim otherwise, PROVE your point by showing examples of gun advertising in "mainstream" media.

    The real negative advertising for firearms are the violent "entertainment" productions controlled by the same people who control most advertising. Without those and the obsessive news coverage of violent events there would likely have been far fewer mass shootings.

  20. Likes Yan Wo, DrHook, shpxnvz liked this post
  21. #1997
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Posts
    39
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    31

    Default

    In theory DWI accident victims can sue Busch beer. They advertise on the side of racecars so it's obvious they're running a marketing campaign demonstrating alcohol and steering wheels go hand in hand.

  22. #1998
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dewees Texas
    Posts
    2,351
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    27
    Likes (Received)
    633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CAMasochism View Post
    I'll answer for you then. Marketing had NOTHING to do with what happened. It's just money and ONLY about money. There are no morals involved. At best it's some grieving parents being taken advantage of by soulless lawyers and politicians looking to make money and a name for themselves. At worst it's parents selling off their children for a buck.
    I do not think it is about the money, I think the goal is to bankrupt Remington, then make a run at the rest of the gun manufacturers.

  23. Likes Scottl liked this post
  24. #1999
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Temecula, Ca
    Posts
    2,850
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1278
    Likes (Received)
    3680

    Default

    you guys have been debating this for 100 pages and have yet to come up with a solution. Meanwhile a bunch of kids got shot up this morning. Thanks for nothing

  25. Likes fusker liked this post
  26. #2000
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Posts
    531
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1344
    Likes (Received)
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    you guys have been debating this for 100 pages and have yet to come up with a solution. Meanwhile a bunch of kids got shot up this morning. Thanks for nothing
    What is your solution, Larry?


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •