YouTube

2. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mhajicek View Post
    Regarding homemade firearms in California:

YouTube
    Not surprising. A very high percentage of people on this forum (excluding the poseurs) have the skills and tools to create firearms. Only laws and the desire of most people to conform to them prevents it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    Not surprising. A very high percentage of people on this forum (excluding the poseurs) have the skills and tools to create firearms. Only laws and the desire of most people to conform to them prevents it.
    I waited 18 months and finally got the tax stamp for my suppressor which cost me $1000 for something I could make myself with drops in a day or two. The people who make these laws are the same types who decry hunting because you could just go to the supermarket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Remember that guns that are still current today like the Mauser 98 and 1911 were made on machines that are considered primitive today. I could make one of them , or an AK or AR in my shop, every XXXing part from scratch, including rifling, just mount the barrel on the 4th axis of my CNC mill and synch it to the X axis. I made a .22 pistol when I was 13 on a 9" Logan lathe.

You could ban ammunition, but we could still turn out casings. Primers might be more difficult, but they were all made by ordinary people and can be made again.

Bill

6. Likes Scottl, mhajicek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    Remember that guns that are still current today like the Mauser 98 and 1911 were made on machines that are considered primitive today. I could make one of them , or an AK or AR in my shop, every XXXing part from scratch, including rifling, just mount the barrel on the 4th axis of my CNC mill and synch it to the X axis. I made a .22 pistol when I was 13 on a 9" Logan lathe.

You could ban ammunition, but we could still turn out casings. Primers might be more difficult, but they were all made by ordinary people and can be made again.

Bill
    Many years ago I saw a rifling machine built by a shop teacher who was seriously into black powder in the days before replicas were widely available. It was based on the ones used 200 years ago but had some modern refinements to make it easier to use. Basically it was a rotating hardwood cylinder with spiral grooves that mated with guide pins. It was mounted in a frame with a large Tee handle at one end. The rod with the tooth that cut the rifling was pushed into the barrel and then pulled to scrape a shallow groove, pulled out completely and then rotated to the next groove on the cylinder before the process was repeated. The originals used paper shims to increase depth for each pass but I THINK (it was a long time ago) this one used a fine pitch setscrew for quicker adjustment. As I recall, it also used metal shafts and bearings.

Like the originals it was time consuming to use but produced very accurate barrels, according to the builder/owner.

8. Likes mhajicek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

take away the kids smart phone and internet,
    then boot the over indulgent parents in the butt.
    it's not a coincidence that school shootings started
    a few years after the use of the internet became wide spread,
    and you were bad if you didn't just give the kids what ever they wanted
    and bad behavior no longer had consequences.

that almost every teen started playing doom and the other first person shooter games
    hasn't helped.

just play a few games of fortnite it will become clear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tons of things are affecting Gun violence. Guns left in cars which end up stolen and in the hands of criminals.
    Violent video games.
    Single parents too busy to spend quality time to properly guide their children.
    And of course... the war on drugs. I’m all for having laws to prevent drug abuse. But damn...I’ve witnessed the evolution of the War on Drugs... and the only results I see is that drugs are easier than ever to get and drug abuse and related deaths are 10 times higher than 40 years ago.
    It’s just not working to help drug abuse. It’s broken. Maybe it’s time to rethink the war on drugs.
    Reminds me of prohibition. That didn’t work either. FWIW.... deaths of police officers killed in line of duty seem to now be approaching the all time highs set during prohibition.