Close
Login to Your Account
Page 27 of 72 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    Way too complicated.
    Just make all firearms with and ammunition with electronic control.
    Establish-
    1- Exclusion zones where those arms cannot be operational.
    2- Deactivation modules carried by LEO’s to turn off weapons used by perps.
    3- Remarkably high fines and or prison terms for any arms in circulation without the “Peacekeepers” enhancements.
    As I said before, you clearly are an outsider (to firearms). I suspect you are also not too familiar with electronics either.

Cops have CONSISTENTLY refused to carry "smart guns" even though some technology has existed for years such as a reed switch operated by a magnetic ring. Any civilian with a functioning brain rejects them for the same reasons.

Also, there is nothing in such technology that couldn't be easily disabled, sometimes as simply as with a drop of super glue.

1. See my answer to 2 below.

2. If an external "deactivation module" can be widely provided to cops it can also be obtained (or cloned) by criminals. Then the exclusion zones could include liquor stores and even the apartment of a soon-to-be raped female gun owner.

3. The draconian penalties you propose for otherwise law-abiding citizens are typical of the gun control culture. They are proposals for tyranny and IMO prove how right the framers of the Bill of Rights were.

What is inherent in so many proposals that seek to severely infringe on millions of law-abiding gun owners is the implied suggestion that all gun owners are potential mass murderers or at least murderers.

That this kind of stuff is being posted on a gunsmithing forum would be ludicrous if it were not providing some valuable insights to gun owners who do not yet realize the tyrannical nature of the gun control movement.

Our motto is "punish the guilty and leave the rest of us alone" and we will continue to fight and resist these dangerous-to-liberty impositions proposed under the pretext of public safety.

2. Likes Joe Miranda, DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Kurt Learning;3400726]
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    Curious what the education experience is of the folks complaining about education here?
    QUOTE]

Over 250 college credits with degree in Mechanical Engineering.
    Five trade certifications. Mensa qualified. Sixty years experience with firearms. Thirty five as a dealer, even more as a collector.
    OK. Back in post #502 you suggest that US education has been turning us into obedient Prussian minions since something like the 1850's.

Then you tell us you, personally, have had way more US education than the average bear.

Question might be -- did all that education turn you into a marching minion as you apparently fear? Or do kids just learn things like mechanical engineering and still end up with some thinking one way about things like "I want to be a gun dealer and collector" and others another?

FWIW, only time a teacher or instructor even mentioned guns to me was an NRA instructor one summer as a kid. And with a similar way-long education background, it doesn't bug me that every kid doesn't see having a collection of guns as job one. Heck, some kids today don't even see getting a driver's license ASAP as a top priority -- who'd a thunk that??

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    Cops have CONSISTENTLY refused to carry "smart guns" even though some technology has existed for years such as a reed switch operated by a magnetic ring. Any civilian with a functioning brain rejects them for the same reasons.
    I made reed switches for a couple of years. I don't know how you could make a ring that would reliably close one mounted in a pistol grip. I can think of various configurations that would work, but not with the kind of reliability needed. All we would need is an officer shot dead while he tried to adjust his grip to activate the gun.

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Mike1974;3400735]
    Quote Originally Posted by [COLOR=#ff0000
    Kurt Learning[/COLOR];3400726]

get the fuck out

edit: quoting seems a bit off, ^ this is directed at kurt, NOT PeteM
    Please elaborate.

I was also an Army Pathfinder. Expert badges with the firearms.
    Certified for Law Enforcement. Top marksman in my graduating class.
    Certified by the NRA as a Personal Protection Instructor, Pistol Instructor and Range Safety Officer.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just got back from Target. Bought a few jars of peanut butter, some Milk Bone boxes, and a dvd.
    The kid's section had an assortment of weapons, namely something that looked like a scaled down XM-18.

The kids watch TV all day and learn about revenge and killing. And if they are lucky their parents bought them a XM-18. Wonder about that combination.

Watch the Dog's of War to see what a XM-18 can do. Great movie but it starts out a little slow when Shannon goes to the African country to do a recce.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    I made reed switches for a couple of years. I don't know how you could make a ring that would reliably close one mounted in a pistol grip. I can think of various configurations that would work, but not with the kind of reliability needed. All we would need is an officer shot dead while he tried to adjust his grip to activate the gun.

Bill
    These weren't reed switches. As I recall they had a plunger that was attracted to the ring and actuated .something like a transfer bar. I remember reading about them in magazines like Popular Science and the like. As far as I can recall this idea first surfaced in the 1970s. The idea was to prevent cops from being shot with their own gun but it was universally felt (by cops) that failure of the mechanism to fire was a greater risk.

"Smart guns" are a favorite of arm chair thinkers, especially among non gun owners. NOBODY I know would ever want one for the same reason cops don't and the concept of a smart gun that can be disabled remotely is a frightening idea. It ranks among some of the other "gun safety" ideas dreamed up by anti-gunners to increase the cost and complexity, discouraging less well heeled people from owning guns.

Smart guns, micro-stamping, serialized ammunition, taggants in propellants, registration of ammunition and purchase limits, etc. are all gun owner harassment cons. Ditto for imposing ridiculous requirements for licensing, requiring expensive and likely unobtainable insurance, etc.

I ought to know, virtually all of it has been proposed in Massachusetts at one time or another. The latest scheme is to require all firearms AND ammunition to be stored in a CERTIFIED safe. The certification requirements could be raised to ridiculous levels, raising the cost of safes massively. Not only that but they could change the requirements every couple of years making existing safes obsolete. You ought to see the mess a previous Attorney General made with handgun regulations. They were later codified into law.

Attorney General Harshbarger Fraudulent Handgun Regulations - GOAL.ORG

Approved firearms rosters | Mass.gov

Current law requires firearms and ammunition to be secured with some kind of lock. The intent of the law was claimed to be preventing access by children and other unauthorized users. Now they want to up the ante and make gun owners responsible for the acts of criminals (burglars). Instead, we've been asking for years that they increase the penalties for gun theft and aggressively prosecute. Crickets.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=PeteM;3400903]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Learning View Post

Question might be -- did all that education turn you into a marching minion as you apparently fear? Or do kids just learn things like mechanical engineering and still end up with some thinking one way about things like "I want to be a gun dealer and collector" and others another?
    I do not quote in partial for nefarious reasons, it just simplifies the portion I will address.

Yes, I think that years of institutionalized learning made me think more like a marching minion than I might naturally have become. Still I was not a particularly good student and aggravated some of my teachers by questioning too often.
    When I was told that President Kennedy was shot by a Marine using a Carcano, I did not immediately question that. Though a few years of firearms experience later, I did. When I was told that the North Vietnamese attacked our Navy in the Gulf of Tonkin, I didn't question that either. I didn't even think to question Weapons of Mass Destruction.
    But by 9/11 things did not smell right, so I started to play closer attention. And having a job that allowed me the luxury of listening to the radio, I tried to seek varying opinions and not just those that supported my preconceived notions. But when I heard the first news release on the Ft. Hood shooting, I knew I was listening to propaganda and filtered news. The announcer declared that the attack was not a Muslim Terrorist, when he could not have known that, and methought he protesteth too much.

When I retired a few years ago I decided to go back and examine my beliefs and challenge nearly everything. I think that nearly all of my teachers were very good, such that when I got to University, many of the courses were more like a review. I believed that I could trust math and the hard sciences to be unbiased, however I began to question some of the social sciences and the spin on history. That is where I could get some great differences of opinion, and test the stories with some concrete evidence.

The Engineering Degree wasn't entirely my own idea, but more of an action to appease my parents who were afraid I was a drifter. And of course they were right. I am. And I enjoy it. That probably doesn't fit the stereotype of an Engineer. Life is full of cognitive dissonance if you are paying attention.

Thank you for your sincere inquiry, I hope this answers your questions and I apologize if in doing so I have detracted from the original post.
    I hope that people will critically examine the evidence of my contentions as much as they might my credentials.

9. Likes Joe Miranda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

These weren't reed switches. As I recall they had a plunger that was attracted to the ring and actuated .something like a transfer bar. I remember reading about them in magazines like Popular Science and the like. As far as I can recall this idea first surfaced in the 1970s. The idea was to prevent cops from being shot with their own gun but it was universally felt (by cops) that failure of the mechanism to fire was a greater risk.

"Smart guns" are a favorite of arm chair thinkers, especially among non gun owners. NOBODY I know would ever want one for the same reason cops don't and the concept of a smart gun that can be disabled remotely is a frightening idea. It ranks among some of the other "gun safety" ideas dreamed up by anti-gunners to increase the cost and complexity, discouraging less well heeled people from owning guns.

Smart guns, micro-stamping, serialized ammunition, taggants in propellants, registration of ammunition and purchase limits, etc. are all gun owner harassment cons. Ditto for imposing ridiculous requirements for licensing, requiring expensive and likely unobtainable insurance, etc.

I ought to know, virtually all of it has been proposed in Massachusetts at one time or another. The latest scheme is to require all firearms AND ammunition to be stored in a CERTIFIED safe. The certification requirements could be raised to ridiculous levels, raising the cost of safes massively. Not only that but they could change the requirements every couple of years making existing safes obsolete. You ought to see the mess a previous Attorney General made with handgun regulations. They were later codified into law.

Attorney General Harshbarger Fraudulent Handgun Regulations - GOAL.ORG

Approved firearms rosters | Mass.gov

Current law requires firearms and ammunition to be secured with some kind of lock. The intent of the law was claimed to be preventing access by children and other unauthorized users. Now they want to up the ante and make gun owners responsible for the acts of criminals (burglars). Instead, we've been asking for years that they increase the penalties for gun theft and aggressively prosecute. Crickets.
    Yes,

I always wonder about these proposals. What part of "INFRINGED" is confusing?

11. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rons View Post
    Watch the Dog's of War to see what a XM-18 can do. Great movie but it starts out a little slow when Shannon goes to the African country to do a recce.
    Great book too. Interesting to realize what it took to move large sums of money and materiel around before the age of computers.

But I digress. I'm on the side of "Not one more gun law". In fact, most of them need to be repealed. I'm in the process of writing my elected officials who apparently are "negotiating a compromise". The only side that ever gives up anything (read: freedoms) is the conservative side.

We all have to sometimes travel through areas where we feel less safe, whether it's a dark parking lot, a business in a rough part of town, or a lonely road far from civilization, I feel a lot more in control of my destiny when I am armed, as I almost always am.

I haven't waded through this whole thread, but I'm sure someone has already quoted Robert Heinlein on the subject.

13. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

. . .

When I retired a few years ago I decided to go back and examine my beliefs and challenge nearly everything. I think that nearly all of my teachers were very good, such that when I got to University, many of the courses were more like a review. I believed that I could trust math and the hard sciences to be unbiased, however I began to question some of the social sciences and the spin on history. That is where I could get some great differences of opinion, and test the stories with some concrete evidence. . .
    Thanks for the response, Kurt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rex TX

"I haven't waded through this whole thread, but I'm sure someone has already quoted Robert Heinlein on the subject."

Not yet, which quote? He had a lot of good ones.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Way too complicated.
    Just make all firearms and ammunition with electronic control.
    Establish-
    1- Exclusion zones where those arms cannot be operational.
    3- Remarkably high fines and or prison terms for any arms in circulation without the “Peacekeeper” enhancements.

We all get to keep our guns but there will be places you can’t have them just like now..
    So I have to modify my extremely rare 1 of 2 known examples Trials rifle manufactured in 1904 by Mauser?

Let us say we followed through with your example. What would have changed with the Dayton shooting?

In the 30 seconds it took for the police to respond, 9 people still would have died?

The only benefit would be the guy would get fame and fortune, three square meals, a warm cell, a bachelors degree, a book deal, a movie deal, and 30 years of tax payers footing the bill for his defense lawyers.

That is of course... just my opinion. I am curious as to how you would think that works?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    "If you don't remember anything else, remember that in the United States we change our government every four years and without firing a single shot."

I would like to take a second look at that assertion and ask to what extent it may be true.

This video has a wealth of evidence and information that is new to most people. Long, but a very condensed education. Bookmark it for later.
    JFK to 911 Everything is a Rich Man's Trick
    YouTube

Certainly I am not questioning your patriotism or intellectual integrity. However this may help to illustrate my point that we accept what authoritarian figures tell us without questioning them.
    Abraham Lincoln was shot by John Wilkes Booth. However much of the rest of the story doesn't entirely coincide with responsible investigation.
    James A. Garfield was also shot and killed while in office.
    William McKinley was also shot and died.
    Then there was the shooting of John Kennedy. And it may well be considered that one of his great contributions was to instill in the American psyche a healthy mistrust of media and authority. To quell the rash of pesky investigations into the official story, the CIA invented and circulated the derogatory term, “Conspiracy Theorist.” So obvious is evidence contradicting the official story that half a century later the documents remain unavailable to the public (despite President Trump's promise to unseal them.)
    Honorable mention goes to Warren G. Harding. There is credible evidence he may have been poisoned.
    There have also been plans and attempts against Andrew Jackson, William Howard Taft, Theodore Roosevelt, Herbert Hoover, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Harry S. Truman, Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, George h. W. Bush, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, Barack Obama and Donald Trump.
    Admittedly, some of the methods employed devices other than firearms.

Then there is the scenario of eliminating candidates to prevent their election, which includes notably, George Wallace and Bobby Kennedy.
    If you want to see an obvious case of cover up, check into the Bobby Kennedy shooting. More shots were fired (and of a different brand) than the capacity of Sirhan Sirhan's revolver.
    If you want to make some serious inquiries, ask who would become president if the attempt on Reagan had been successful. And know that the family of the attacker were personal friends of the Bush family. And again, it was reported that more shots were fired than the capacity of the firearm. Hinkley shot a President of the United States and is out of prison. Doesn't pass the smell test.

I do not question that students are bad because they because they believe their teachers, or citizens because they trust the news. Nor do I condemn teachers that are forced to follow an outline and exclude provocative material. Nor the Newscaster that is just reading a script.
    But when the script precludes the event (as in the collapse of bldg. 7,) one should ask just what is going on.

If a teacher implies that the regime changes in the US take place peaceably, are those that readily accept this assertion with out question doing so because they are born without the capacity for critical reasoning, or do they accept the premise because they are conditioned to do so?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You would have to modify the gun to mount such a device in a way that it couldn't be readily removed and like Fal Grunt, you would see major resistance if you tried to hack on my Fabrique National Browning shotgun. In any case, it would be pointless. Presumably it would use a radio signal or some other radiation. Within a day a method of shielding it would be all over the internet.

Re magnetic rings, I can see a system where there is a magnet embedded in the grip that would be attracted to the ring regardless of the ring's position as long as it was close. Funny, I made a ring like that once. A technician I worked with had an uncle who was gambler. He thought a crap table was rigged with a magnet to influence the dice and wanted a ring that would be tugged when the magnet went on. I made one from steel and gold plated it to look like a wedding ring. I gave it to the technician and never heard any more. I hope I didn't buy the guy a pair of cement overshoes.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

. . . JFK to 911 Everything is a Rich Man's Trick . . .
    Flip side is that every conspiracy theory cited isn't true.

FWIW, textbooks now have what seems to be the truth on the Gulf of Tonkin incident. First ones to figure that one out were war critics.

And back when Bush was pushing the false WMD narrative, there were contemporary voices of skepticism.

Fair enough we get lied to a lot by people with a vested interest - whether it's justifications for the Vietnam (Gulf of Tonkin) and Iraq wars (WMD) or cigarettes, tobacco, opioids, and burning trillions of tons of fossil fuels being good for you. It's been pretty much educated kids who figured out otherwise along the way.

Might add that vested interests include the NRA itself, spending lavishly on itself and less than 10% by some accounts on its original gun safety/education mission. Most now goes to politics, PR, and fear-driven fund raising pieces.

One useful thing about having skeptics both left and right of center is that they sort of keep tabs on one another. And, I suppose another way to reduce violence in our culture is to continue to have respectful conversations between them - at least as long as the facts at hand are respected.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pete, I like your civil nature, and hope that sometime you can view the video.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The problem with most of the conspiracies is that they require a degree of loyalty that would be difficult to maintain without whistle blowers giving them away. There certainly is collusion or cooperation between wealthy and influential people, but to keep it as an organized association with a single set of goals seems too difficult.

Re WMD, it was obvious that Saddam wasn't purifying uranium because doing it in complete secrecy means you are not processing very much. OTOH, you can make chemical and biological agents on almost any scale and they did.

When Colin Powell made his infamous WMD speech, I said that we would see the day when he apologized to the public for it.

The point is that this has all come out, possibly not every detail, but overall.

A leaked memo indicates that Trump is working in an executive order allowing him to censor the internet on the grounds that he wants to limit obscenity. You know- things like obscene Democratic postings.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Until the extreme political divide in this country changes nothing of any substance will get done. Everything is politicized, when even the smallest of conflict arises Republicans jump on one side the Democrats the other. The NRA seems to be more extreme one way while the gun grabbers go more extreme the other. I must say I believe most gun laws are useless as criminals and the mentally deranged don't follow them. What I don't understand is how any one or any organization could be against red flag laws. The extreme on one side wanting no civilians to own guns and the other even thinks crazy people should have them. On the other hand some of the issues that gun grabbing liberals care about are laughable. People wanting to ban so called assault rifles get a lot of press. A lot of candidates use that as a big part of their platform. Do these people realize blunt objects kill more people yearly than all rifles combined? Also personal weapons as in bare hands and feet kill more yearly than rifles also. Some people get boiling mad about so called assault rifles being legal, most of those people would not know a Co2 pistol from a 9mm.
    Last edited by Dualkit; 08-19-2019 at 09:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rex TX

"I haven't waded through this whole thread, but I'm sure someone has already quoted Robert Heinlein on the subject."

Not yet, which quote? He had a lot of good ones.

Bill
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.
    Robert A. Heinlein

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Whether the authorities be invaders or merely local tyrants, the effect of such [gun control] laws is to place the individual at the mercy of the state, unable to resist.
    Robert A. Heinlein

...I am opposed to all attempts to license or restrict the arming of individuals... I consider such laws a violation of civil liberty, subversive of democratic political institutions, and self-defeating in their purpose.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.
    Robert A. Heinlein

An armed man need not fight.
    Robert A. Heinlein

24. Likes 9100, tdmidget, DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As I said before, you clearly are an outsider (to firearms). I suspect you are also not too familiar with electronics either.
    Et al...

Hard to know where to start.

I guess the beginning.

Way too complicated.
    Followed by a even more complicated solution might have been taken as indicating that the post was off the cuff/not serious...
    It struck me as sort of funny that 9100 came up with good guys bad guys marking system.
    ‘Colors’ is as old as warfare itself and what he is describing is a battle tactic to discern friend from foe.

The Webster Groves police vetoed the idea of arming teachers on the grounds that if an officer saw a person not in uniform waving a gun, he would likely shoot immediately.

I have contemplated a fix for that. Issue guns with flat sides like many semi autos and glue a strip of colored reflective material on each side, then cover it with black tape. The teachers would not know what color it was and neither would the patrolmen. The dispatcher would have the only other sample, also covered so anyone planning an attack could not find out what the color was and put it on his gun. When there was an active shooter, the dispatcher would pull the tape on the station's sample and announce it to all the officers and, of course, the teachers would uncover their strips.

Comments? Naturally there will be.

Bill

PS it further occurs to me that teachers might be issued some sort of adhesive patch that was sealed in a bag so any attempt to open it would be visible. Maybe even issue spray cans with some colored dye they could spray on themselves. I'll be you folks could think up a few other markers.

PPS what would keep the shooter from walking in peacefully and disarming a teacher and/or taking his patches?

But...
    I’m willing to defend that hill to the end.
    After some coffee...