What can we as individuals or a group do about gun violence? - Page 31
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post

There is nothing more important than free speech.
    Nothing.
    That is why it is the 1st amendment
    And a good way to insure we will have that into the future is to protect the 2nd amendment.

Sorry about double post

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh, BTW I also want public information that you have one.
    dee

Oh, BTW Your seriously suggesting publicizing the names of gun owners?
    Will that plain stupid idea include address, type and number of weapons, work schedule, phone number and where a front door key is hidden?
    Beyond ridiculous.

3. Likes Kurt Learning, Scottl, mhajicek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    That is why it is the 1st amendment
    And a good way to insure we will have that into the future is to protect the 2nd amendment.
    Right. Under Ceausescu, Romainians had to get a permit to have a copier. Notice that in such places, when there is trouble, the first thing they do is shut the telephones off. The dictators know who the enemy is and it ain't your AR15. It's the row of keys I am tapping on right now.

Bill

5. Likes tdmidget, Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Not only "possible" it was long used in formal training. "Aggressor" forces never had the headcount of the trainees. We amplified our effect by having several small fires going in, for example, a simulated Vietnamese village that was the target. As the opposing force approached, a few handfuls of 7.62 NATO BLANK ammo was pitched into each fire, and we melted back into our ambush positions and tunnels.

Within a few minutes those rounds began cooking-off like loud popcorn, creating the impression the invaders had come under fire from several positions - which were not actually manned. As they tried to ID the source and return fire, we opened up from other, concealed, positions.

Live rounds, rather than blanks, could still do injury - the firefighter case - but do not have anywhere near the velocity they would develop in a proper firearm's chamber and barrel.

2CW
    Hatchers Notebook covers this. Basically without a barrel to contain the burning gases, the bullet goes a few inches and stops as it runs out of puff. Full text of "Hatchers Notebook"

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Nobody's taking your guns, today, or in the immediate future.
    Yes, but only because we won't let them. It's not because some aren't trying. Many of the leading figures of the gun control movement have written in the past that their ultimate goal was to ban private ownership completely. They only changed their sales pitch to "reasonable regulation" after realizing the extent of the opposition to a total ban. Step by step, piece by piece, law by law they are still working toward the same goal.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Nobody wants
    to pay to treat mental illness, and further the percentage of mentally ill people who become
    red-pill shooters is about one percent. All shooters are crazy but only a tiny percentage of

mentally ill people become angry white guys with guns.
    No, the percentage of mentally ill people who commit such acts is WAY below one percent. Most (but not all) mentally ill people are more a danger to themselves than others. I don't know where in hell you get your "Facts".

"All shooters are crazy" . LMAO over that one! But at least it shows you're not prejudiced against gun owners.

Here you go again, "angry white guys with guns". What about angry ????? guys who HATE guns, yourself included. I put in those question marks because it is absurd to always be bashing "white guys" unless you yourself are either non-white or crazy. Otherwise it's basically begging to be genocided some day.

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Where do these guns come from? They don't just fall from the sky.
    Is there any way to reduce this supply side? For sure there is enough inventory that it would

take a long time but maybe we could chip away at it.
    Bob
    They actually have a pretty good idea where most come from. The problem is they do little about it. One point rarely mentioned is that if they aggressively enforced the existing laws there would be far fewer cases to prosecute vs endlessly recycling the same small amount of hardcore criminals over and over by arranging short sentences. Likely the Criminal Justice Industry would have to start reducing staff if they really got tough on crime. The political candidate pool in the U.S. is full of former prosecutors who brag about their records but couldn't be elected sidewalk monitor if their real record were known.

8. Likes john worden, digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    They actually have a pretty good idea where most come from. The problem is they do little about it. One point rarely mentioned is that if they aggressively enforced the existing laws there would be far fewer cases to prosecute vs endlessly recycling the same small amount of hardcore criminals over and over by arranging short sentences. Likely the Criminal Justice Industry would have to start reducing staff if they really got tough on crime. The political candidate pool in the U.S. is full of former prosecutors who brag about their records but couldn't be elected sidewalk monitor if their real record were known.
    There are some people that don't deserve to take a breath of free air, my nephew is one of them. He is currently in the Idaho Penitentiary and it looks like he has parlayed his 2-5 years for attempted strangulation of his girlfriend into some extra time. He had 9 stints in juvenile hall for crimes like breaking and entering, drug sales and possession, he also pushed an elderly female teacher to the ground, that got him kicked out of High School. He is a sociopath, he has no remorse for any of his victims. He said the female teacher made him mad and deserved what she got. As an adult he tried to steal a car and when a neighbor tried to stop him he pulled a knife. On that one his take was "The guy was going to try to hurt me, he is lucky I didn't stab him." The guy has had counseling, been medicated, coddled, given the hard ass treatment, and nothing works.

He is now 25, I last saw him at 18 when I gave he a job as my last ditch to straighten him out. By Googling I found that at 19 in 2013 he was sentenced to 2-5 years for attempted strangulation of his girlfriend, plead down to domestic assault and battery. Since he is up for parole again in 2020 with sentence satisfaction in 2023 he obviously has acted up while in the can, he has been denied parole multiple times.

He will eventually kill someone, he already could have 3 times that I know of. There is no cure for people like him, every method on fixing him failed, he is just an evil piece of human trash. Our system allows people like him to go in and out of jail until they finally kill someone and get locked up for life. He should have been institutionalized for life by the time he was 18 or better yet thrown off a cliff.

10. Likes john worden, digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    He should have been institutionalized for life by the time he was 18 or better yet thrown off a cliff.
    This story reminded me very strongly a saying my mother used to say with gritted teeth to my brother and I.

I BROUGHT YOU INTO THIS WORLD AND I WILL TAKE YOU OUT OF IT.

12. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    This story reminded me very strongly a saying my mother used to say with gritted teeth to my brother and I.

I BROUGHT YOU INTO THIS WORLD AND I WILL TAKE YOU OUT OF IT.

I like to look people in the eye and say "I came into this world screaming and covered in someone else's blood... I'm not afraid to go out the same way."

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    I like to look people in the eye and say "I came into this world screaming and covered in someone else's blood... I'm not afraid to go out the same way."
    Not sure what you mean by that. The story I told was of my nephew who to me was nothing but a coward who prayed on the weak. He was diagnosed with anger issues, strangely enough even when he was 6'2" and 200 pounds his anger issues only manifested themselves when he was around women or men who were frail and weak. To me that is where modern psychology is a joke. My nephew never had anger issues around me and his mother sent him to live with me a couple times after he was 16, and I employed him when he was 18. His anger issues only were a problem when he was around someone he thought he could easily whip in a fight. Oddly to me modern psychology gives him an excuse for his behavior and that is a complete joke. If a person has anger issues they should flare up the same, whether they are around a little old lady or a dude that could mop the floor with them.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The brains, not just minds, of violent criminals are different than those of other people. I have hope that someday this will be rectifiable.

Psychopaths' brains show differences in structure and function

Criminal Minds Are Different From Yours, Brain Scans Reveal | Live Science

That said, if such abilities are developed they bring the danger of governments altering their citizen's brains to make them conforming and submissive.

16. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are some people that don't deserve to take a breath of free air, my nephew is one of them. He is currently in the Idaho Penitentiary and it looks like he has parlayed his 2-5 years for attempted strangulation of his girlfriend into some extra time. He had 9 stints in juvenile hall for crimes like breaking and entering, drug sales and possession, he also pushed an elderly female teacher to the ground, that got him kicked out of High School. He is a sociopath, he has no remorse for any of his victims. He said the female teacher made him mad and deserved what she got. As an adult he tried to steal a car and when a neighbor tried to stop him he pulled a knife. On that one his take was "The guy was going to try to hurt me, he is lucky I didn't stab him." The guy has had counseling, been medicated, coddled, given the hard ass treatment, and nothing works.

He is now 25, I last saw him at 18 when I gave he a job as my last ditch to straighten him out. By Googling I found that at 19 in 2013 he was sentenced to 2-5 years for attempted strangulation of his girlfriend, plead down to domestic assault and battery. Since he is up for parole again in 2020 with sentence satisfaction in 2023 he obviously has acted up while in the can, he has been denied parole multiple times.

He will eventually kill someone, he already could have 3 times that I know of. There is no cure for people like him, every method on fixing him failed, he is just an evil piece of human trash. Our system allows people like him to go in and out of jail until they finally kill someone and get locked up for life. He should have been institutionalized for life by the time he was 18 or better yet thrown off a cliff.
    This is where our legal system is a joke... however, it is a slippery slope. I imagine from the stories you told this guy did try to kill his gf and in such a case it is pure BS he can plead any charges 'down'. But on the flip side, if you (me, whoever) were charged with domestic battery for defending yourself (not like a real fight, but maybe grabbing your nutjob ex's hands to keep her from poking your eyes out!) you should have the opportunity to plead your case. I know trial by jury and everything, but not sure I would trust them either.

Unrelated story (well to OT), there was a mistrial called in a murder case in northern IN because a witness testified the defendant had previous drug problems and convictions...

"The jury now knows he had a significant criminal record. He went to prison"

WTF?!? Isn't that relevant to the case??

Cannibal trial: Judge grants mistrial in case of Joseph Oberhansley

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Plea bargaining completely breaks the legal system in both directions. Guilt or innocence is entirely irrelevant, it's all about how much it would cost to go to court vs. how much it costs you to plea to a lesser charge. 90% of cases are resolved by plea bargain, because most people can't afford to go to court, and public defenders are a sad joke.

19. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mhajicek View Post
    Plea bargaining completely breaks the legal system in both directions. Guilt or innocence is entirely irrelevant, it's all about how much it would cost to go to court vs. how much it costs you to plea to a lesser charge. 90% of cases are resolved by plea bargain, because most people can't afford to go to court, and public defenders are a sad joke.
    I've heard it called the Devil's Bargain. a blessing for the guilty and a curse for the innocent.

Corrupt prosecutors will willingly and knowingly prosecute the innocent on the theory most will be forced to plea bargain rather than bankrupt their families. In such cases they often know they might not succeed in front of a jury but they pile on charges knowing THEY have plenty of resources and most defendants don't.

21. Likes mhajicek, john worden liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what you mean by that. The story I told was of my nephew who to me was nothing but a coward who prayed on the weak. He was diagnosed with anger issues, strangely enough even when he was 6'2" and 200 pounds his anger issues only manifested themselves when he was around women or men who were frail and weak. To me that is where modern psychology is a joke. My nephew never had anger issues around me and his mother sent him to live with me a couple times after he was 16, and I employed him when he was 18. His anger issues only were a problem when he was around someone he thought he could easily whip in a fight. Oddly to me modern psychology gives him an excuse for his behavior and that is a complete joke. If a person has anger issues they should flare up the same, whether they are around a little old lady or a dude that could mop the floor with them.
    Yup, the modern physiologist that testifies to "let them off" have no repercussions to their decisions.

I think if a Phsyc testifies that "they won't harm anyone again", the judge should make them responsible for the felon.

And if said felon should repeat (and commit murder) they should go to the chair, and phsyc should sit on their lap.....

23. Likes john worden liked this post