What can we as individuals or a group do about gun violence? - Page 40
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 40 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast
Results 781 to 800 of 1905
  1. #781
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California, Central Coast
    Posts
    3,329
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2153
    Likes (Received)
    1296

    Default

    Saw this yesterday, Here is some of it, more at link, probably plenty of comments:

    "A Colorado teen has been told he cannot return to school until authorities hold a “threat assessment hearing” after he went target shooting with his mother. Nate Evans, a junior at Loveland High School in Loveland, Colorado actually got a visit from police after he posted video of his plinking with his mom Justine according to the Colorado 2nd Amendment group Rally For Our Rights.

    A report had come in to the police department about the video and they were told Nate was a threat. After showing the videos to the police officers and explaining that they’d simply gone on a mother-son outing to train with their legally owned firearms, the police stated that they had done nothing illegal and were well within their rights. They also determined Nate was not a threat to himself or anyone else, and went on their way.

    But it wasn’t over.

    Unfortunately, even after police determined that there was nothing nefarious about a mom taking her son out for some firearms training, the school district wasn’t convinced.

    Justine immediately contacted the school assuming she could easily clear things up, especially since the police had already assessed the situation and realized no one had done anything wrong or made any threats. She was wrong.

    The school not only refused to provide her with more information about the “threat”, but they refused to provide Nate with schoolwork so he doesn’t get behind. A “threat assessment hearing” has been scheduled for Thursday morning at 10am at the school admin building where Justine will be allowed to defend her son against SEVEN school officials who will be in attendance to, as she was told, “make their case”. Make their case of what? That Nate’s outing with his mother to train with her firearms somehow makes him a danger to the school?

    This is a pretty clear abuse of the program “Safe 2 Tell”, which is designed to allow students to report potential threats to school safety. As Lesley Hollywood with Rally for Our Rights points out, the way the program currently works almost invites abuse."

    Colorado Teen Suspended From School After Target Practice With Mom | Zero Hedge

    So the kid is being punished for doing NOTHING WRONG?? WTF

  2. #782
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Webster Groves, MO
    Posts
    7,183
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1801
    Likes (Received)
    3259

    Default

    As a lifelong resident of the St. Louis area, I can tell you that parts of the city are definitely big and bad. Maps of homicides-

    map of St. Louis murders - Google Search


    Note the distribution in earlier years, north of the central corridor and later extending south to a concentrated area. This is a black migration and much of the clear area around it is due to a large Bosnian immigration. They went right to work, opening stores and restaurants and keeping things peaceful and property values up. Note the later string of murders extending northwest from the main area toward infamous Ferguson. That marks the migration along Florissant Ave. which goes to Ferguson. Actually, the murder rate in Ferguson is low, but give it time. The simple truth is that the murder rate is blacks killing blacks. Without them, St. Louis would be near the bottom of the murder charts. As it is, it is the highest in the country. The situation is so bad that the Cardinals ball park in the central corridor does not allow guns on the premises. People leave their guns in their cars which are broken into. There is a proposal, I don't know if it has been implemented, to have an armored truck parked at the stadium where people can check their guns, just like checking a coat. This is pathetic. Until the early 60s housing was segregated and prosperous peaceful Africans had to stay in their area, which if they wanted a decent neighborhood, they had to maintain there. When housing opened up, they moved to nicer neighborhoods. Problem was the ones left behind with no mitigating influences. The result has been catastrofic. Anymore, 5 murders in a weekend has become ordinary.

    All the smart sociologists can't solve the problem. Housing developments and trade schools haven't helped.

    I don't know the answer any more than they do, but I know one thing, that most of the murders are with handguns that come from somewhere. Studies have shown that removing guns doesn't reduce the assault rate much but the mortality rate drops because knives are not as efficient killers. As much as I would like to have guns unregulated, the last two handguns I bought were at yard sales and the seller at the second one didn't even ask my name. I think I will have to give up some of my rights to slow the flow of guns into the wrong hands. Statistically, "assault rifles" are not a big factor in murders. the large majority are with handguns.

    Bill

  3. Likes seiner liked this post
  4. #783
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    People's Republic
    Posts
    2,957
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    213
    Likes (Received)
    2055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    Saw this yesterday, Here is some of it, more at link, probably plenty of comments:

    "A Colorado teen has been told he cannot return to school until authorities hold a “threat assessment hearing” after he went target shooting with his mother. Nate Evans, a junior at Loveland High School in Loveland, Colorado actually got a visit from police after he posted video of his plinking with his mom Justine according to the Colorado 2nd Amendment group Rally For Our Rights.

    A report had come in to the police department about the video and they were told Nate was a threat. After showing the videos to the police officers and explaining that they’d simply gone on a mother-son outing to train with their legally owned firearms, the police stated that they had done nothing illegal and were well within their rights. They also determined Nate was not a threat to himself or anyone else, and went on their way.

    But it wasn’t over.

    Unfortunately, even after police determined that there was nothing nefarious about a mom taking her son out for some firearms training, the school district wasn’t convinced.

    Justine immediately contacted the school assuming she could easily clear things up, especially since the police had already assessed the situation and realized no one had done anything wrong or made any threats. She was wrong.

    The school not only refused to provide her with more information about the “threat”, but they refused to provide Nate with schoolwork so he doesn’t get behind. A “threat assessment hearing” has been scheduled for Thursday morning at 10am at the school admin building where Justine will be allowed to defend her son against SEVEN school officials who will be in attendance to, as she was told, “make their case”. Make their case of what? That Nate’s outing with his mother to train with her firearms somehow makes him a danger to the school?

    This is a pretty clear abuse of the program “Safe 2 Tell”, which is designed to allow students to report potential threats to school safety. As Lesley Hollywood with Rally for Our Rights points out, the way the program currently works almost invites abuse."

    Colorado Teen Suspended From School After Target Practice With Mom | Zero Hedge

    So the kid is being punished for doing NOTHING WRONG?? WTF
    obviously this is BS
    [I don't mean the posting is BS, the situation is BS]

    shall we talk about the school to prison system for young men of color?

  5. #784
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    14,547
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    obviously this is BS
    [I don't mean the posting is BS, the situation is BS]

    shall we talk about the school to prison system for young men of color?
    Why not disclose your objection to "Self responsibility" ?
    Also, Do you carry ?

  6. #785
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hillsboro, New Hampshire
    Posts
    7,210
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1690
    Likes (Received)
    4983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Also, Do you carry ?
    That's a question best left unanswered.

  7. #786
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    People's Republic
    Posts
    2,957
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    213
    Likes (Received)
    2055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Why not disclose your objection to "Self responsibility" ?
    Also, Do you carry ?
    You will need to elaborate in order for me to respond to 'self responsibility'

    Now, since the article is linked only in right wing and gun publications, I do not feel there is a full story, but if I take it as written, the school district is going to be in trouble.

    But he's a nice country white boy, and all those young me of color were obviously not behaving, right?

    As with at least 65 percent of the US, no I do not carry

  8. #787
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Posts
    205
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    8
    Likes (Received)
    86

    Default

    It seems to me most of the proposed solutions I hear attempt to address the symptoms and not the problem. The problem as I see it is not a lack of laws or gun control, rather it's people.

    Given the state of things, a disregard for the sanctity of life and lot of kids being fatherless and without positive roll models or mentors I can only see the demise of a healthy society. A sickness permeates music and movies that glorify the disregard for others and a self first attitude coupled with social media and even what many consider as good advice - the pursuing happiness as the chief priority. You hear it everywhere that you should be happy and it should be strived for and obtained. But at what cost? What do you do when you can't get happiness?

    When kids grow up in bad circumstances but are told they should be happy and they aren't and can't find meaning because they are told we are just a group of cells floating around arranged by chance with no moral obligations what is to keep them from ending it all? Furthermore, with life in general not to mention the system being unfair and cruel why wouldn't you want to tear it down with you when you go?

    The way I see it to treat the problem you have to treat the person. Be a mentor or at least a positive roll model. Get your own household in order first and then branch out to neighbors, friends, aquantences... get to know them. Ask them how they are doing; listen, encourage, and teach from your own experiences. It doesn't have to be money, the most valuable thing we have to give is our time. The waiting list for male mentors with Big Brothers Big Sisters in my area is several years last I checked.

  9. #788
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Posts
    483
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1237
    Likes (Received)
    197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    ... "The proof that a person is unqualified for public office is the fact that they are running to be elected." That quote is from me, and example proves it right.
    I have said the same on many occasions.

  10. #789
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Flushing/Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    7,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    378
    Likes (Received)
    6350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    ....

    As with at least 65 percent of the US, no I do not carry
    Not so sure that 65% is accurate, maybe a bit higher do not carry a gun.
    I wonder what it is among vets that did active duty. I suspect lower still.
    The school story is strange. We used to have a shooting club and would do 22 and skeet on the school grounds in a much different time.

    Now people don't seem so much to buy guns to kill rabbits, dear or ducks or shoot competition.
    Even the "good" guys now buy them to kill or injure people. Other humans they see as bad or a threat.
    Where did we go so wrong?
    Bob

  11. #790
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    163
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    52
    Likes (Received)
    136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goldenfab View Post

    Given the state of things, a disregard for the sanctity of life and lot of kids being fatherless and without positive roll models or mentors I can only see the demise of a healthy society. A sickness permeates music and movies that glorify the disregard for others and a self first attitude coupled with social media.
    I whole heartedly agree, and applaud you for your keen observations.
    The next step is to ask who is responsible for this condition?

    There was a time when marital fidelity was higher among the Black community than it was for other ethnic groups. Now most Black children grow up without a Father.
    There was a time when music and entertainment wasn't filled with perversion and sexual innuendo. Who changed that.
    When I went to school, there was a list of Commandments on the wall (one of which said "Thou shall not kill" and we didn't.) Who changed that?

    The answer is your government.

    If you think more government is the solution, you don't understand the problem.

  12. Likes goldenfab liked this post
  13. #791
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Flushing/Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    7,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    378
    Likes (Received)
    6350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Learning View Post
    ....
    When I went to school, there was a list of Commandments on the wall (one of which said "Thou shall not kill" and we didn't.) Who changed that?
    ...The answer is your government.
    .
    Confused, the government trained people to be a killers or a fear of the government leads to this?
    Your posts are interesting and a bit wild. You are one of two things and I'm not sure which side.
    You will not find many radicals here if that is your game, you also won't make friends if that is your side.
    I understand fishing and the opposite looking for others that think like me. This is a very shallow pond.
    Why are you here?
    How much of a stretch would it be that you work for some agency and have overplayed your hand? So much of what you have posted is just wrong and radical conspiracy BS.
    No photos, license plates from space on instant demand. I like the thought that all surveillance systems have some sort of remote control to take them down.
    Only problem being that I built the software for many of these things. What you suggest is not true in any shape so I see paranoia or baiting.
    That's where I don't know who you are and why now.
    Bob

  14. Likes digger doug liked this post
  15. #792
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    7,657
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    471
    Likes (Received)
    5085

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Learning View Post
    There seem to be two basic camps.
    Those that believe giving more authority to government through legislation will alleviate the senseless shootings.
    And those that have researched the subject.

    If you are unsure whether or not to give more power to those that rule over you, I encourage you to see how they have used that power in the past - and still continue to today. . .
    Kurt, Far as I can tell there's a third and larger camp. One that doesn't glorify guns and violence, that wants to live in a law-abiding society, and believes it's possible for citizens in a democracy to create and enforce laws that gives each of us maximum freedom of thought, speech, and action -- up to the point it seriously infringes on the rights of our fellow citizens.

    As far as being "ruled over" -- I personally feel free in thought, speech, and (mostly) action. It's more various large self-interested business interests (the folks that brought us the Great Recession, the opioid crisis, the Vietnam and Iraq wars, the last data breach, maybe some stupid local regulation) that infringe my freedom of action. Not the locally elected Congress critter -- the last two of which have pretty reasonably reflected the 'druthers of their constituents. Would like to see the hidden money funneled to politicians stopped -- and we as citizens could surely make that happen.

    Do have guns -- but can't imagine how shooting someone I think responsible solves any of that. You actually think there's already or soon to be a corporate CEO or President or Governor in need of shooting to preserve your freedoms??

    Democracy does require work - educating ourselves on issues, holding elected representatives accountable. Seems to me, though, that doing this work beats living in a nation held hostage by three million* potentially violent nut jobs or mere Hatfield's and McCoy's (or their inner city gang equivalents) continually stewing about some personal affront and taking it upon themselves to be judge, jury, and executioners.

    This third camp, a large majority of citizens, thinks we should both better enforce the laws on the books and have universal background checks to make that enforcement easier in the case of the 1-2% of the population with a history of violence or raging mental illness.

    *By most accounts about 1% of any population are psychopaths. Another 1% may easily rage out of control or be violently mentally ill. The brighter ones among the psychopaths can be charmingly self-serving and end up like "Chainsaw" Al Dunlap as CEOs doing their own version of harm.

    1 in 5 CEOs are psychopaths, study finds

    Some of the psychopaths poorest at planning may buy a gun one day and go on a rampage the next. So we need to watch both types - the brighter 20% in business. The often less-bright 20% already incarcerated for violent crimes.

    Even nations that raise their kids well have some significant percentage of psychopaths and another percentage of raging mentally ill -- the trick is making it harder for them to do harm. That percentage gone wrong could be higher in our culture (3%??), but when and if we do better there's still some baseline percentage of bad actors. It's just not a good idea to put them in a culture that both glorifies guns and makes it super easy to get ones capable of maximum harm.

  16. Likes Milland, 9100 liked this post
  17. #793
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    People's Republic
    Posts
    2,957
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    213
    Likes (Received)
    2055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Learning View Post
    There was a time when music and entertainment wasn't filled with perversion and sexual innuendo. Who changed that.
    When I went to school, there was a list of Commandments on the wall (one of which said "Thou shall not kill" and we didn't.) Who changed that?

    The answer is your government.

    If you think more government is the solution, you don't understand the problem.
    This is a totally ridiculous statement

    The gov't writes little music and makes few movies.

    Gov't enforces religion is historically a huge problem


    If you think no gov't is the solution, you are the problem


    No one thinks the gov't is the answer to everything, but most of us understand that there are forces out there that we do not vote for that do not have our best interests in mind, and when you undermine go'vt you make them more powerful

  18. #794
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beaverdam, Virginia
    Posts
    7,252
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    608
    Likes (Received)
    3398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seiner View Post
    restrict capacity of all firearms to three rounds. just like shotguns used for hunting.
    Last I checked unless said firearm is a revolver or a tube fed rifle the fire arm holds a grand total of one round in the chamber. Once again we have another anti-gun person that knows ZERO about firearms. So right now most fire arms only hold one round. You are another gun grabbing idiot that would not know a lethal firearm from a water pistol.

  19. Likes digger doug liked this post
  20. #795
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hillsboro, New Hampshire
    Posts
    7,210
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1690
    Likes (Received)
    4983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Last I checked unless said firearm is a revolver or a tube fed rifle the fire arm holds a grand total of one round in the chamber. Once again we have another anti-gun person that knows ZERO about firearms. So right now most fire arms only hold one round. You are another gun grabbing idiot that would not know a lethal firearm from a water pistol.
    Misrepresentation and a weak ad-hominem does a lot to support your viewpoint.

    Or as the kids would say: Not!

  21. #796
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    202
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    49
    Likes (Received)
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Last I checked unless said firearm is a revolver or a tube fed rifle the fire arm holds a grand total of one round in the chamber. Once again we have another anti-gun person that knows ZERO about firearms. So right now most fire arms only hold one round. You are another gun grabbing idiot that would not know a lethal firearm from a water pistol.
    Well... you've proved you're a moron.
    My 300wm holds three rounds, my 30-6 holds four rounds, my 308 holds four rounds, my m1Gerand holds eight rounds, both of my pump shot guns hold four round unless the restrictor is in place, my over under.. it holds two rounds, 10-22 holds ten to i don't what the biggest clip you can get for it, my two pistols hold ten rounds in the clips.

    The fact remains that in forty years of hunting I've never needed more that two shots to achieve my goals.
    limiting capacity conceivably limits damage without confiscating weapons.

    IF you believe you need high capacity at the range you're an idiot and you're just using your guns as TOYS. In organized competition that may be a bit different and can be easily handled with some sort of registration.

    The fact remains on a day to day basis most dangerous thing ln the US is a typical firearm owning irresponsible American Citizen.

  22. #797
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    7,657
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    471
    Likes (Received)
    5085

    Default

    . . . but what do you know about water pistols?

  23. Likes Screwmachine, digger doug liked this post
  24. #798
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    202
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    49
    Likes (Received)
    88

    Default

    They're wet

  25. #799
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hillsboro, New Hampshire
    Posts
    7,210
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1690
    Likes (Received)
    4983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seiner View Post
    my two pistols hold ten rounds in the clips.
    Be prepared to be lambasted as you called the magazines "clips". It's one of the things that the "real" [sarcasm] gun owners are very fussy about.

  26. #800
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    202
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    49
    Likes (Received)
    88

    Default

    As I understand it "clips" are detachable and "magazines" are not.
    But then again I don't play with them, so I could be wrong(and don't really give a shit).


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •