Close
Login to Your Account
Page 61 of 67 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1327
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    While I agree with most of your post, I have to ask ...

Have you ever seen Jurassic Park on a theater screen?

You have mentioned that movie more than once. I have not seen it, and don't intend to. What is your message?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Is this what "reasonable" gun control looks like?

Someone mentioned about harsh new "storage" laws. Here's what they are putting on the Massachusetts ballot.

The link above is from this page.

Basically it makes gun owners responsible for all acts committed with a gun stolen from them. It also requires all guns, not just handguns, to be stored in "a gun safe" (details not specified) even while being transported in a vehicle!

Since gun safes are huge and weigh hundreds of pounds this bill would essentially outlaw gun ownership except for those who own heavy trucks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    You have mentioned that movie more than once. I have not seen it, and don't intend to. What is your message?
    The movie used computer graphics to create ultra realistic looking dinosaurs that interacted with the human actors. If they can do that how hard would it be to fake low resolution surveillance video?

Deepfake - Wikipedia

4. Likes mhajicek liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They'll never fix the black education problem unless they can fix the black communities.

How "we" solve it is beyond me because the problem has grown so large even many prominent black leaders despair of making meaningful change.
    Maybe if we stop arresting every black male for nonviolent drug violations guilty or not...

It's hard to raise kids from prison.

The war on drugs is a race war and a class war.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doesn't do much good to have a drug addict as a parent, incarcerated or not. Non-violent is a non-factor they knowingly broke the law. It's bad as a society that we are starting to pick and choose which laws we are going to follow. If they're not working to advance the greater good they are detracting from it. There is no grey area.

7. Likes john worden liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AJ H View Post
    Doesn't do much good to have a drug addict as a parent, incarcerated or not. Non-violent is a non-factor they knowingly broke the law. It's bad as a society that we are starting to pick and choose which laws we are going to follow. If they're not working to advance the greater good they are detracting from it. There is no grey area.
    You missed the "guilty or not" part. If cops want to arrest someone and they can't find anything incriminating they'll just plant something they swiped from the evidence locker, or send something innocent to a drug lab that they pay for false positives. One such drug lab was recently found out and over ten thousand cases had to be thrown out.

Edit to add:

Blacks and whites do drugs at similar rates. Blacks are arrested it at much higher rates, and of those arrested are prosecuted more and given harsher sentences. How many here have parents who experimented with drugs a bit in their teens or early 20's? What would you be like if they'd been sent to prison for it?

9. Likes AARONT, 9100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Scottl;3412398]
    You just EXACTLY described yourself, gustafson, and a couple of others who keep trying to push gun control here.

Probability of getting one poster here to change their mind and agree that laws might be used to
    change mass shooting behaviors = identically zero.

Probability of getting me to agree that blanket prohibition of firearm ownership is a bad thing = nearly unity.

Who's closed minded here?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ha, ha, ha
    Until Americans wake up and accept that they are being played like fish, the mass shootings will continue.
    Here, an El Paso “Hero” gives false testimony on CNN in exchange for immunity from the Secret Service.
    It is worth noting that CNN uses green screen fakes with Anderson Cooper – a man that interned with the CIA.

The Secret Service arrested one of the El Paso survivors that President Trump invited to the White House - STATIONGOSSIP

STORY
    A Cop sees a man on his hands and knees looking for something under a streetlamp.
    Not seeing a car nearby, he asks, “Where do you think you dropped them?”
    The man responds while pointing, “About two blocks that way.”
    The Cop asks, “Then why are you looking here?”
    The man answers, “Because the lighting is better here.”

And that gentlemen, is how Americans have been taught to solve the problem of mass shootings.
    You can thank the fake media and your Prussian Schools.

cia.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mhajicek View Post
    ... I have never voted republican in my life, though I may be forced to hold my nose and do so in the upcoming election just to reduce the chances of civilian disarmament, since there is not a single democratic candidate currently that does not showcase gun grabbing as part of their platform.
    Yeah, but since politicians never (almost never?) do what they promise, maybe we should vote for the anti-gun candidate who promises the most stringent gun control measures.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have you ever seen Jurassic Park on a theater screen?
    Yup But I doubt that the DA's looking for a big hit with the public or cantankerous old judges that don't give a shit about law are capable of doing high-quality computer animation. Maybe that's naive but have you played with Maya much ? It's not that easy ...

Quote Originally Posted by AJ H
    It's bad as a society that we are starting to pick and choose which laws we are going to follow. If they're not working to advance the greater good they are detracting from it. There is no grey area.
    When they put Lloyd and Jamie behind bars for the rest of their days, I'll regain my respect for the law. Until then, Law is a fraud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Yan Wo View Post
    Yeah, but since politicians never (almost never?) do what they promise, maybe we should vote for the anti-gun candidate who promises the most stringent gun control measures.
    Interestingly, my Bulgarian pal often commented that American politicians did what they were supposed to. For example, the highway 40/64 segment here was some of the earliest superslab in the Midwest and in poor condition. The Missouri Department of Transportation redid it ahead of schedule and did a terrific job. She said in Bulgaria they would get a grant from another country to build a bridge but by the time the money worked its way through the system, there wasn't enough left to do it. Another thing she often remarked about was how polite people here were. We regard ourselves as brash and bad mannered, but she thought the opposite.

Anyway, back to the subject. I think that if we could solve the social problems we have discussed, gun control would become a moot issue. After all, most gun owners don't shoot anyone. Trouble is that solving them looks a lot harder than confiscating the guns would be.

Bill

15. Likes mhajicek liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Yup But I doubt that the DA's looking for a big hit with the public or cantankerous old judges that don't give a shit about law are capable of doing high-quality computer animation. Maybe that's naive but have you played with Maya much ? It's not that easy ...
    If someone is willing to plant evidence and delete exonerating video, the will to do it is there. It may be too difficult for most now, but just wait another decade or two and it will become trivial. "Computer, take this video and replace this guy with that guy. Now put a gun in his hand. While you're at it replace this voice with that voice, and change the time and place metadata. Then massage the video to remove signs of fakery."

They're are already articles talking about an AI arms race between the fakers and the detectors. Once you have a decent detector you can use it to train your faker better.

17. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    She said in Bulgaria they would get a grant from another country to build a bridge but by the time the money worked its way through the system, there wasn't enough left to do it.

Bill
    This is what I thought of when I read your comments.

Economic Hitmen.
    YouTubeYouTube

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mhajicek View Post
    If someone is willing to plant evidence and delete exonerating video, the will to do it is there. It may be too difficult for most now,
    I beg your pardon, but the future is here.
    Show me the films of Jeffry Epstein committing suicide, a plane flying into the Pentagon, the El Paso shooter in action, or any of the other mass tragedies.

"Poof!" and it's gone.

15391002_10158520012535377_5743181106472846879_n.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Kurt

Simmer down...You will get red flagged.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Learning View Post
    Show me the films of Jeffry Epstein committing suicide, a plane flying into the Pentagon,
    I have a friend who was a driver at ABC who saw the wreckage of the plane halfway into the pentagon, so that one I think is probaly real. If they had paid him off to create that story he'd be better off than he is

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Learning View Post
    I beg your pardon, but the future is here.
    Show me the films of Jeffry Epstein committing suicide, a plane flying into the Pentagon, the El Paso shooter in action, or any of the other mass tragedies.

"Poof!" and it's gone.

15391002_10158520012535377_5743181106472846879_n.jpg
    seek
    professional
    help

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Probability of getting one poster here to change their mind and agree that laws might be used to
    change mass shooting behaviors = identically zero.

Probability of getting me to agree that blanket prohibition of firearm ownership is a bad thing = nearly unity.

Who's closed minded here?
    I would NEVER try to change the mind of a hardcore gun control type. I know better. And thank you for your honesty.

In the above quote you are stating that you believe "blanket prohibition of firearm ownership" is a good thing. That puts you in the same camp as fellow gun hater Milland.

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    "The proof that a person is unqualified for to own firearms is the fact that they wish to own them."

That restructure is from me, and example proves it right.
    I think you just described the reality of how a national firearms licensing scheme would work. "Sorry applicant, your wanting to own firearms is proof you shouldn't have them".

Very similar to the old Soviet Union where wanting to leave was proof of mental illness and grounds for being denied an exit visa.

24. Likes mhajicek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would NEVER try to change the mind of a hardcore gun control type. I know better. And thank you for your honesty.

In the above quote you are stating that you believe "blanket prohibition of firearm ownership" is a good thing. That puts you in the same camp as fellow gun hater Milland.

I think you just described the reality of how a national firearms licensing scheme would work. "Sorry applicant, your wanting to own firearms is proof you shouldn't have them".

Very similar to the old Soviet Union where wanting to leave was proof of mental illness and grounds for being denied an exit visa.

Never try to change the mind of a hardcore gun type.
    yada yada

again conspiracy theory language. national firearms licensing boogy man!

I don't want national licensing because I understand that there are differences between different areas of the country. Something hardcore gun types seem to ignore.

The exact same rules need not apply in nowhere Montana as the Bronx. That is why we have a republic and why it continues to work.

What would seem like a good idea is a national licensing standard. Similar in thinking to the way drivers licenses work.

ANd maybe, if there was a national standard for state issued licenses, you see where I'm going here? Then other states would be required to accept that standard, and the licenses issued in other states.

You know, the way politics used to work, one side gets something that they want, the other side gets something they want, and everybody is unhappy.

Beautiful

Then you wouldn't have the BS that was[is?] going on in NJ throwing people in jail for technical license violations

If Idaho doesn't want to license guns.
    Whatever
    They just cannot bring them to Montana

I mean, I imagine Kentucky could choose not to issue drivers licenses, but you couldn't drive out of state, Apparently South Dakota didn't require them till 1954

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    You know, the way politics used to work, one side gets something that they want, the other side gets something they want, and everybody is unhappy.
    Except nothing about what you are offering is anything like a compromise/concession. It's just you taking slightly less than what you really want, giving us the finger in return, and saving the next round of "common sense" for the next shooting when we have to "Do Something" TM again.

27. Likes shpxnvz, mhajicek liked this post