Login to Your Account
Page 69 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 1941
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    Nearly 6,000 pedestrians killed in 2017, crashes, new report says

Nearly six thousand in one year alone! That's six times the number of people killed in mass shootings since 1982, a period of 37 years.
    That number will probably be going up. With the new fangled headlights on cars throwing out more light from a smaller source, the glare factor is getting worse. Someone forgot to tell the headlight designers that not all US roads are flat. We might as well be shining lasers in each others eyes. Some of the daytime running lights are almost as bad.

An acquaintance hit a man on the road a couple of years ago. She saw nothing but felt the bump. Her husband told her to turn back and see what she hit, the man was dead but was hit by 2 other cars that the drivers evidentally did not see him either. It traumatized her but I think she is driving again now.

I have heard of no one addressing the problem yet and the headlights just keep getting worse.

2. Likes Ox, tdmidget, Greg White liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    To believe the media you'd think becoming a victim of a mass shooting is the greatest risk Americans face today.

However,

Nearly 6,000 pedestrians killed in 2017, crashes, new report says

Nearly six thousand in one year alone! ..........................................
    But they don't tell you, there's 30 million more cars and trucks out there on the road today than there was in 1983. (Probably not 30 million, yaw know what I mean). But how does that tie to shootings? It don't! Just more leftist liberal shit being thrown at us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    That number will probably be going up. With the new fangled headlights on cars throwing out more light from a smaller source, the glare factor is getting worse. Someone forgot to tell the headlight designers that not all US roads are flat. We might as well be shining lasers in each others eyes. Some of the daytime running lights are almost as bad.

An acquaintance hit a man on the road a couple of years ago. She saw nothing but felt the bump. Her husband told her to turn back and see what she hit, the man was dead but was hit by 2 other cars that the drivers evidentally did not see him either. It traumatized her but I think she is driving again now.

I have heard of no one addressing the problem yet and the headlights just keep getting worse.
    You are so right. As most of those plasma lights are on high end (as in $$$$$) vehicles we have created a system where the more well heeled get to see very well on the road while the majority are temporarily blinded. And it does not have to be so. Many years ago I had a car equipped with the 7 inch round "Bobie" lights by Cibie of France. They did a wonderful job of lighting up the road but protected other drivers by careful filament masking and well designed reflectors. I know because I actually kneeled and looked directly into one (after I was done driving for the night). They were bright but not as bad to look into as many normal halogen lights. I suspect this is or was very much a French thing because I also had a pair of Marchal driving lights on a later vehicle and they also did a good job of protecting oncoming traffic. The big problem with the plasma lights is that they are more of a point source light and if they had been properly done the source would be masked so that all light came from the reflector.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can't reply to everything, but truly enjoy the freedom of expression in many of the posts.

Today's conundrum: How does the media know what model rifle was used?

Columbia Heights Shooting
    1 Killed, 5 Injured in Columbia Heights Shooting; 1 Dead, 2 Hurt in Northeast DC Shooting - NBC4 Washington

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by d'Arsonval View Post
    Have you ever played any role in serving your country Scottl?
    All of us have served our country. What did you do so special ? Went halfway around the world and killed a bunch of gooks ?

We're so proud of you.

We're so stupid.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    All of us have served our country. What did you do so special ? Went halfway around the world and killed a bunch of gooks ?

We're so proud of you.

We're so stupid.
    HEY! He could have been one of the guys who made this great piece! YouTube

8. Likes Rob F. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We're so proud of you.

We're so stupid.
    What I may have done 50 years ago is not what I would do today.
    There is a reason why the war mongers recruit people fresh out of the Prussian schools.
    Keep in mind that many of these tragedies would never occur if the government owned press wasn't paid to lie to the masses.
    Killing innocent people in foreign lands is due to:
    A) Soldiers that have enlisted because they thought it was their patriotic duty..
    Or.
    B) Their government having lied to the public using Psy-Op phrases like "Remember the Maine," "Remember the Lusitania," "Remember Pearl Harbor," "Weapons of mass destruction," "Babies left on the floor to die," and the always popular, "Arab Terrorists."

cia.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did you mean:
    A) Soldiers that have enlisted because they thought it was their patriotic duty..
    because
    B) Their government having lied to the public using Psy-Op phrases like "Remember the Maine," "Remember the Lusitania," "Remember Pearl Harbor," "Weapons of mass destruction," "Babies left on the floor to die," and the always popular, "Arab Terrorists."

11. Likes mhajicek liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    OBAMA IS GOING TO TAKE YOUR GUNS LOOK OUT GUYS. OBAMA HAS NO BIRTH CERTIFICATE AND IS
    A SECRET MUSLIM AND HATES AMERICA AND WANTS TO TAKE ALL YOUR GUNS SO LOOK OUT. LIBERALS
    HATE AMERICA AND WANT OUR GUNS THEY WILL TAKE ALL THE GUNS WATCH OUT. BERNIE WANTS YOUR
    GUNS, AOC WANTS YOUR GUNS, HARRIS WANTS ALL THE GUNS THEY WILL PASS ALL THE LAWS THAT CONFISCATE
    YOUR GUUUUUUUUNS!!!!!!

(runs around in circles shouting and getting spittle all over the inside of your monitor. Finally slams into wall
    and knocks self out. Blessed silence)

Gun manufacturers: please keep this up guys. We need to make more money.
    Your ignorance is amazing. EVERY dnc candidate on the panel openly says they would take all “assault weapons”. Upon more study, you would see that includes semi auto pistols and rifles. You can roll around in your own ignorance, or feel free to educate yourself on the bills being put forth. If you think libs aren’t after the 2nd, you need help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    Popular culture that glorifies perverse actions with firearms without the positive social reinforcement of home, family, community and nation, WILL foster an unacceptable ratio of misfits.

I am late to this thread, but this post just about sums it up for me.
    When I was a kid we shot at aliens and dragons or whatnot in (coin opp) video games - in effort to SAVE the humans.
    Now-days it seems the hottest ticket today is playing Desert Storm on your home 'putor - trying to kill the [apparently lesser] human.
    I find this extremely appalling! (May be the intended meaning of the first point quoted above?)

I also blame the lack of religion and family honor. (may or may not be the same "family" meaning as in the above quote)

In all reality tho - save for those who are in criminal activities, really - how many folks git killed every year - in a country of +300 million?
    Of course collateral damage is a concern in Chi-Town and Phoenix. But is said that sumpthing like 80% of all the drugs coming from Mexico - go through Chi-Town?
    With that - you gotta expect issues eh?

I have guns.
    I seldom shoot guns.
    They are a tool, not a toy to me.
    When I git a gun out - I fully intend to kill sumpthing which is seldom, but it happens....
    I am an NRA member and I am reasonably sure that there is not much at all that we can doo about the killings without getting a grip on the drug troubles.
    (and they are everywhere!)

Not sure if that (drug issues) would help the mass shootings or not?

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

14. Likes fusker, 9100, john worden liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    I am late to this thread, but this post just about sums it up for me.
    When I was a kid we shot at aliens and dragons or whatnot in (coin opp) video games - in effort to SAVE the humans.
    Now-days it seems the hottest ticket today is playing Desert Storm on your home 'putor - trying to kill the [apparently lesser] human.
    I find this extremely appalling! (May be the intended meaning of the first point quoted above?)

I also blame the lack of religion and family honor. (may or may not be the same "family" meaning as in the above quote)

In all reality tho - save for those who are in criminal activities, really - how many folks git killed every year - in a country of +300 million?
    Of course collateral damage is a concern in Chi-Town and Phoenix. But is said that sumpthing like 80% of all the drugs coming from Mexico - go through Chi-Town?
    With that - you gotta expect issues eh?

I have guns.
    I seldom shoot guns.
    They are a tool, not a toy to me.
    When I git a gun out - I fully intend to kill sumpthing which is seldom, but it happens....
    I am an NRA member and I am reasonably sure that there is not much at all that we can doo about the killings without getting a grip on the drug troubles.
    (and they are everywhere!)

Not sure if that (drug issues) would help the mass shootings or not?

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Thank you for an intelligent response.

The other problem with the killings is the complete lack of health care availability in this country, namely mental health.

I don’t know if there are more guns available than when I was a kid...statistics say yes. I live amongst the corn...gunshots are regularly heard, and nobody bats an eye. I have enough of them that the “and this is what we seized” picture always makes me think I’m just one felony away from the breaking news.

I was a gun nut.

Then I faced a serious mental health challenge and realized that they are and were dangerous for me to be around. Or...in another way, it was dangerous for me to have many tools that could quickly and efficiently end life.

Thankfully, I had made many sacrifices so that I had great health insurance and access to medical care.

I am just now to the point in the last year where I’ve started to trust myself around them again.

So yeah...you take away family, you take away human connection, you acknowledge that technology allows you to stand proud, without the threat (and reality check) of getting punched in the face, you glorify death, dehumanize it, and you get in your face coverage of every time somebody pulls the trigger.

I’m not foolish enough to think the true nature and intention of the 2nd amendment will ever become a viable option. I think we’ve figured out social engineering enough that the people who are in charge are going to stay in charge.

I’m also not foolish enough to think that those people are elected officials.

The bill of rights, as it was written, for the most part became obsolete during the First World War. That’s when our country figured out how to rule the masses with propaganda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Likes Kurt Learning, PeteM liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    Did you mean:
    because
    You may have phrased it better.

18. Likes Rob F. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Cowardly act" ?

I've yet to see that phrase used in conjuction with an act that the opposition was in any way a coward.

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Learning View Post
    What I may have done 50 years ago is not what I would do today.
    Agree with you on this ... in 1965 we were pretty stupid. Smedley Butler was ancient history and we were all trained to fear the Communist Threat !

Much of the propaganda made sense then, and guys who went to Vietnam were just tools. You can't blame them for being chumps - but we shouldn't worship people for that, either. Pity, maybe.

But nowadays, we need to get over this killer-worship. We've had fifty years of exposures to what the truth of all that shit is. The military in no way "protects my freedoms." It never has and never will. That's not their job. Their job is to kill people and blow stuff up.

If that's a necessity, then fine. But in 99% of the cases since 1945, it's been bullshit. We need to quit prostrating ourselves at the feet of that fantasy.

Maybe if we stop worshipping killing anybody we don't like, then we can see a little improvement in this "gun violence" thing, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mram10 View Post
    . . . EVERY dnc candidate on the panel openly says they would take all “assault weapons”. . .
    FWIW, back in 1994 when the nation narrowly decided to ban "assault weapons" something like 17 Republicans voted for it and around 17 Democrats voted against it. By all accounts that ban didn't do much good (the claim is a small reduction in mass killings) or much bad (most citizens hardly noticed). Meanwhile, the culture of violence continued unabated and many states reduced funding for mental health care.

I'm still struggling to figure out the scenario in which a sole citizen (e.g. not part of a well-regulated militia) saves democracy with his AR-15 style rifle?

I could imagine a revitalization of state national guard units (jointly controlled by the states), perhaps somewhat along the lines of the Swiss. Some sort of national service would be mandatory (maybe add teaching to the list of national services), our stance would be relatively non-interventionist, but we'd be ready and willing to help with domestic disasters and perhaps some international peace-keeping operations.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    I could imagine a revitalization of state national guard units (jointly controlled by the states), perhaps somewhat along the lines of the Swiss. Some sort of national service would be mandatory (maybe add teaching to the list of national services), our stance would be relatively non-interventionist, but we'd be ready and willing to help with domestic disasters and perhaps some international peace-keeping operations.
    The PLA is pretty highly regarded because when there's a flood, they sandbag the rivers (and a bunch drown.) When there's an earthquake, they dig out the victims and rebuild the roads, clean up the mess, etc. Not many giant fires in China but if there were, it would be the PLA fighting them.

That's probably not going to fly in the US though. Too much money to be made in disaster relief ?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post

I'm still struggling to figure out the scenario in which a sole citizen (e.g. not part of a well-regulated militia) saves democracy with his AR-15 style rifle?
    Maybe there is such a scenario (and I can think of several,) and maybe there is not.
    But the point is... it doesn't matter.
    It is a guaranteed right no longer respected by those that rule over you. That alone should cause some alarm.

If you were to learn that Fords get more speeding tickets than Chevys, would you support outlawing Fords?
    Please explain why someone needs racing stripes on their Mustang.

24. Likes mhajicek, Yan Wo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe there is such a scenario (and I can think of several,) and maybe there is not.
    But the point is... it doesn't matter.
    It is a guaranteed right no longer respected by those that rule over you. That alone should cause some alarm. . .
    Kurt, a few points.

First, the guaranteed right is to for people to keep and bear arms in the context of a well regulated militias. Our Constitution gives our Supreme Court the power to parse this somewhat ambiguous statement. And that Supreme Court has been just fine with limitations on what arms -- and who gets to bear them. It let stand, for example, the 1994 assault weapons ban. They have also (and you'll like this) gone beyond the 2nd Amendment (well regulated militia's and all), saying that it's fine for most citizens to own weapons for self defense. So, those are are rights. Last I heard neither you nor I got to interpret those words as we wish.

Put gun control to a vote and I'll be voting (along with the vast majority of the nation) to have universal background checks and thorough enforcement. Along with most of the nation, I won't be touching guns in the hands of sane citizens used for hunting, sport, or home defense. I'd prefer to see the glorification of violence handled by social sanctions rather than regulatory sanctions.

As for "those who rule over you" -- I'm still of the notion that I and we get to elect those who represent us. You'll hear me complain, you too, when I'm not happy of the direction (one of my 1st Amendment rights) - but there is an electoral mechanism to change that. Mechanism needs tweaking - getting the hidden money out of politics -- but it can still function. I'm not above thinking for myself and civil disobedience either. I'm not a pacifist (and I am a gun owner), but did choose not to participate in the Vietnam War. Didn't make sense to me then, or now.

As for Ford Mustangs getting more tickets than Chevys -- well if guys with racing stripes on their Mustangs had an unusual propensity to crash into crowds and kill people, I'd want to know why -- and what we could do about it. I might be especially concerned if we had media glorifying Mustangs with racing stripes running into people, just to see them bleed, and if instead of having driver's tests and driver's licenses we replaced mental health facilities with Ford dealerships. Might get antsy if Ford started buying partisan political favor through it's National Mustang Association and had a media arm saying Chevys were a damn commie/Muslim/liberal/Hispanic plot to subjugate the nation.

So, your Mustang, racing stripe situation would be pretty much like Bill, who started this thread, wondering how we get a bit less senseless violence in our nation.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Agree with you on this ... in 1965 we were pretty stupid. Smedley Butler was ancient history and we were all trained to fear the Communist Threat !

Much of the propaganda made sense then, and guys who went to Vietnam were just tools. You can't blame them for being chumps - but we shouldn't worship people for that, either. Pity, maybe.

But nowadays, we need to get over this killer-worship. We've had fifty years of exposures to what the truth of all that shit is. The military in no way "protects my freedoms." It never has and never will. That's not their job. Their job is to kill people and blow stuff up.

If that's a necessity, then fine. But in 99% of the cases since 1945, it's been bullshit. We need to quit prostrating ourselves at the feet of that fantasy.

Maybe if we stop worshipping killing anybody we don't like, then we can see a little improvement in this "gun violence" thing, too.
    For those that might like to hear what Smedley Butler had to say...

YouTube

My personal investigations into history lead me to conclude that the date of 1945 as a starting point for lies to promote war, could be pushed back considerably.

The Soldiers were Heros.
    The Puppet Masters that controlled the Politicians were minions of Satan.

While the internet could be used to educate, it is now so heavily censored that 50% of my reference videos on you Tube have been erased.
    Sill enough remain so that no one can be excused for ignorance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My personal investigations into history lead me to conclude that the date of 1945 as a starting point for lies to promote war, could be pushed back considerably.
    Lusitania?
    Maine?
    Farther back I dont know too well.