Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnrs View Post
    By what you listed this seems like a gun issue to me.
    What exactly do you mean by that? If you mean it's an issue that involves guns, then yes. But more so it's a law enforcement issue. When law enforcement commonly and willfully violates the law you can't have a lawful country, and putting the screws to the common citizen in pursuit of that is useless at best.

2. Likes Scottl, Yan Wo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnrs View Post
    I think outside of the schools is where this should be taught.
    I see that in the same basket as sex education. Sure, it should probably be taught elsewhere. But for a lot of people it won't be, and the end results of ignorance can be devastating, so having at least the basics in public education makes sense.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So here's a thing. Some few people are doing bad things, because (for at least some of them) their fear and anger has usurped their rational, voluntary control. Others are disproportionately afraid of these rare events, likely because they're overly anxious and fearful.

Turns out that disrupting the gut microbiome can contribute to fear and anxiety:

Are you a mouse who can’t let go of fear? Your microbiome might be the problem | Ars Technica
    DuckDuckGo

Most american food contains antibiotics (particularly meat), which can disrupt the gut microbiome.
    Antibiotic Use in Food Animals Continues to Rise - Scientific American
    The influence of antibiotics and dietary components on gut microbiota

From where I'm sitting there appears to be a strong correlation between the rise in a societal fight-or-flight state and the increase in antibiotic use in our food.

More study would of course be needed to confirm or falsify any causation, but it seems a decent place to start.

5. Likes 9100, fusker, Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Having seen how a daily dose of a psychoactive drug smaller than a grain of rice can change a raving candidate for a straight jacket into a normally functioning rational person, I have no problem believing that a bacterium could produce a waste product that has the opposite effect. In fact, I suggested monitoring for such compounds somewhere back there. The articles say that antibiotics can kill off a harmless bacterium, leaving a niche for a malevolent one.

In any case, routinely dosing any creature with antibiotics, whether directly or indirectly as we get them, is a bad idea. I have lost two friends to the antibiotic resistant infections going around now.

Bill

7. Likes mhajicek, fusker, lagweezle liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

10. Likes mhajicek liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Would have been better if she'd kicked it onto full auto ...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    I hope -- for several reasons -- you are joking.

13. Likes lagweezle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hard to even imagine the horror of being shot at, your husband being beaten to death, and your 11 year old being hauled off by the animals. The comment about full auto was I think about the perps deserving it.

Just a side thought boy is an AR loud. My sons .223 single shot with a 20 inch barrel being fire next to you is deafening out in the country. Inside a closed house it must have been unreal. One shot by the wife changed everything. Multiple shots would have permanently deafened everyone.

15. Likes lagweezle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

But she didn't give them their constitutional rights.

Fact is, when someone points a gun at me, their rights shrink drastically. If I had an 11 year old daughter being abducted, their rights would shrink to the vanishing point.

A woman heard someone breaking into her house and called her husband who was at work. He told her to get her .38 and children and hide in a crawl space. one of the children made a sound and the intruder opened the door. She fired all 6 rounds, hit him with 5, which convinced him to not do that anymore.

Both women should have a holiday named in their honor.

The problem is that if the news picks up on it at all, it is more likely to bemoan the poor misguided kidnapper being so mistreated.

Bill

17. Likes DrHook, mhajicek, SND, lagweezle liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oklahoma
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A couple points from the Science News article:

"Inner-city gun violence mostly occurs within small networks of people who know each other, as allies or enemies, and are at high risk for becoming violent. Those groups typically account for 0.5 percent or less of a city’s population."

and

"As in programs in several dozen U.S. cities, the call-ins began with officers emphasizing that shootings had to stop. If they didn’t, perpetrators as well as neighborhood associates would be hit with outstanding warrants, parole violations and charges for other crimes."

These show a lot of the violence is caused by a relatively small number of thugs well known to the authorities. They could take many of them off the streets if they only would.

19. Likes DrHook, mhajicek, lagweezle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    Hard to even imagine the horror of being shot at, your husband being beaten to death, and your 11 year old being hauled off by the animals. The comment about full auto was I think about the perps deserving it.

Just a side thought boy is an AR loud. My sons .223 single shot with a 20 inch barrel being fire next to you is deafening out in the country. Inside a closed house it must have been unreal. One shot by the wife changed everything. Multiple shots would have permanently deafened everyone.
    If you think a 20 inch barrel is loud you should hear what an SBR sounds like. One day at the range two guys at nearby benches were shooting NFA registered SBRs. These usually have a barrel ranging from 12 to 14 inches and man are they LOUD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFrank View Post
    A couple points from the Science News article:

"Inner-city gun violence mostly occurs within small networks of people who know each other, as allies or enemies, and are at high risk for becoming violent. Those groups typically account for 0.5 percent or less of a city’s population."

and

"As in programs in several dozen U.S. cities, the call-ins began with officers emphasizing that shootings had to stop. If they didn’t, perpetrators as well as neighborhood associates would be hit with outstanding warrants, parole violations and charges for other crimes."

These show a lot of the violence is caused by a relatively small number of thugs well known to the authorities. They could take many of them off the streets if they only would.

When you look at the FBI UCR (Uniform Crime Report), which is the basis for really talking about crime in the US with facts, you see something in escapable: most "gun crime" is perpetrated in inner cities, among two racial demographics out of proportion to their population, and in counties completely controlled by one political party.

In none of these areas are the areas rural, the racial demographics 'white' or the political party 'the Republicans.' If you wanted to eliminate over half of criminals armed with guns, you could concentrate on only six to eight counties (depending on the year in question) out of over 3,000 counties in the entire US.

That's how concentrated the "gun crime" problem is in the US.

If guns themselves caused these problems, then we here in Wyoming would be utterly awash with crime, blood would be running in the streets, and murder through the roof - because we have one of the highest per-capita gun ownership rates in the nation. At estate sales here in Wyoming, you don't see a couple of guns going up for sale, you see dozens of guns going up for sale.

Wyoming, as a state, has less crime than the city of Vancouver, Canada. Why is that? Well, look at the FBI UCR to see the patterns that indicate high correlation to crime in the US, and then you notice that none of those factors are found here in Wyoming.

22. Likes DrHook, mhajicek, 9100, Scottl, Kurt Learning and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    AR-15's lack any 'full auto' setting. They don't even have a three-round bust option that's on recent M-16's and M-4's.

24. Likes lagweezle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    If you think a 20 inch barrel is loud you should hear what an SBR sounds like. One day at the range two guys at nearby benches were shooting NFA registered SBRs. These usually have a barrel ranging from 12 to 14 inches and man are they LOUD.
    I do not even know what those letters mean, if they are louder than a typical AR with a 16 inch barrel just think what they would be like inside a house! Having shot varmints on a porch through a barely open door, shots fired in a house has to be many times worse. I saw an article about weapons used indoors for self defense need silencers. I understand the rational.

26. Likes lagweezle liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wyop View Post
    AR-15's lack any 'full auto' setting. They don't even have a three-round bust option that's on recent M-16's and M-4's.
    But they're assault weapons !

Have there been any real 'assault weapons' that wouldn't go full auto since WW I ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

She did the right thing. Would of been better if she gotten the other one as well.

Actually the news, should of read ....AR-15 kills home intruder, owners are "OK".

29. Likes 9100, lagweezle liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That would be a child's play modification to about anyone on this site.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don't try to educate the anti-gun people about guns, they are not interested. They just want to follow the words of their similarly uneducated party leaders.

32. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now that my state of Virginia has flipped to Democrat control we will get the promised "common sense gun laws" they all keep talking about. I am sure once the gang bangers killing each other over control of drug territory in places like Petersburg, Richmond and Newport News read up on these new laws and start following them homicides will drop to nothing. I moved from California with very strict gun and hunting laws to Virginia which is on the opposite where those laws are pretty lax. Guess what? The violent crime and homicide rates are pretty much the same in both states. What part of criminals and the mentally unstable not following the law do people not understand?

You want to get rid of guns in the wrong hands? Do a major crackdown on violent felons caught with guns and increase the penalties. Bring back stop and frisk with the intent of enforcing that law. Of course gun grabbing liberals would be against something like that as it could violate someone's "civil rights."