What's new
What's new

What do you think?

Nethawk86

Plastic
Question on what Mill to get

Hey everyone! I'm getting ready to get my home shop setup as local stores keep closing down and I'm tired of switching jobs. I'm now running my smithing out of my home shop. So now that all that's available to me power wise is single phase, it's been difficult to find setups that will work for me. I managed to get a Jet GH-1340W-1 Lathe that's single phase from one of the shops I worked for that shut down, but now I need a mill. Here in AZ, there's not much available besides when some auctions pop up. I managed to find an Acra AM3AC Vertical Mill with an AC inverter drive. Supposedly, according to the brochure which is all I can find on it, it's 220V/3PH/1PH (Opt 440V). I emailed the business selling it and they said it's currently setup as 3 phase 208v. Then I called and spoke with Acra directly and he said this machine can be easily switched to single phase. I'm new to these AC Inverter drives as all I've ever used was Jets and BPs in my career. Looking around on here and other forums has yielded me not much on this particular model. Here is the brochure with the specs for it (ACRA AM3 PRECISION MILLING MACHINES .ACRA AM3 PRECISION MILLING MACHINES DOUBLE-LOCK-DEVICES & ONE - [PDF Document]). What is everyone's thoughts? I'd be using it for general smithing, no production and not for a single platform. So cutting slides, sights, mounting, fabrication, stock work..etc. Seems comparable to the Jets I've used. Any thoughts on this AC inverter over belt driven?

Ok.....then how bout you shoot me a message or something letting me know what happened? I looked at all the threads and can't find these guidelines....

Find the rules here on site. Read them, then start a new thread with what you just learned.
Click the red Forum button near the top and go to the general section. half dozen or so stickies of rules for posting.

Good lord.....how hard was that, to simply say where to go since it's not a thread labeled "Guidelines" or "Rules". Could've just said where to go in the beginning or just said "change the thread subject name".

I'm going to let a Mod or Admin change the subject as I'm not going to get slammed for "double posting" a thread. They can delete this if they want and then I'll post it again under a different subject, but I'm not starting another thread while this is still active. You guys blew that way out of proportion for all that it was. Made it sound like I posted something illegal.

I have said this in other threads but there is a lot to be said for having a rotary converter. Multiple machines can be run from one rotary. Ran the generated leg into a three phase breaker box then all the machines in that building ran out of the 3 phase box. When we built the new building with more 3 phase machines we ran the 3rd leg over to a 3 phase box in that building. I am sure that we had at least 8 machines running at one time and could have started every machine in both shops and had no ill effects.
This section is a little more relaxed on posting rules. In case it gets locked you can ask again here or try on the section dedicated to this stuff.

Actually right under this section:
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/transformers-phase-converters-and-vfd/

I'm going to let a Mod or Admin change the subject as I'm not going to get slammed for "double posting" a thread. They can delete this if they want and then I'll post it again under a different subject, but I'm not starting another thread while this is still active. You guys blew that way out of proportion for all that it was. Made it sound like I posted something illegal.

This is false logic. You need to start a NEW thread with an APPROPRIATE TITLE, that way people who would be able to help with you question will know what the thread is about. Even put a link to the new thread here with apologies for being newb.

Thanks for the recommendation! I will post a follow up thread over there more pertaining to the AC Inverter side of my question. Was still curious if the ACRA is good for what I need it for. I have only found 1 or 2 threads on here regarding them which seem fine, but not really on this particular model. Or even those that did get those ACRAs, how are they holding up and such.

I have said this in other threads but there is a lot to be said for having a rotary converter. Multiple machines can be run from one rotary. Ran the generated leg into a three phase breaker box then all the machines in that building ran out of the 3 phase box. When we built the new building with more 3 phase machines we ran the 3rd leg over to a 3 phase box in that building. I am sure that we had at least 8 machines running at one time and could have started every machine in both shops and had no ill effects.
This section is a little more relaxed on posting rules. In case it gets locked you can ask again here or try on the section dedicated to this stuff.

Actually right under this section:
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/transformers-phase-converters-and-vfd/

Looking for and paying extra for single phase machines is probably not worth it. Just limits you. A 3 or 5 horse rotary does not cost that much and if you are inclined you could build your own and pay scrap prices for the hardware. It was just easier and faster to purchase a turn key unit for me. No knowledge of the Acra mills. Seems like they have been around for a while, that is probably a good thing.

Back