What's new
What's new

What floating reamer holder

NewGunPlumber

Aluminum
I'd love to run a rigid reaming setup but on an older manual machine I need to be a bit realistic so I'm in the market for a floating reamer holder to fit a MT3

Ive had a bit of a look at the PTG and JGS options. From what I can gather the main difference is that the PTG has angular alignment and has a friction adjustment to increase the amount of resistance that is needed to move the reamer.

Has anyone here used both or have any suggestions?

I have dealt with PTG and JGS before and so far JGS has been better for customer service and getting orders correct the first time (wrong orders are big PITA when your in another country)

I would call Dave Manson at Manson Reamers in Michigan. Dave builds top notch tools and not just gunsmiths tools. My family has dealt with Dave for many many years and he is the go to guy for something like this.

810-953-0732 or 810-953-0734 they accept calls noon to 5 M-F Eastern Time

^^^
My choice.
Fabricated several shop-made pushers, when I went to a oil flush system I changed to Manson's holder and really like it.

PTG for a micrometer reamer stop- makes easy work out of getting the last couple thou and not overhsooting it.

I have been using a JGS floating reamer holder for several years now, Ive never had any problems with it and ive never cut an oversized chamber with it. I almost went with the PTG but im glade i got the JGS it works very well.

^^^

PTG for a micrometer reamer stop- makes easy work out of getting the last couple thou and not overhsooting it.

If you want the Micrometer Reamer Stop (MARS) contact Rustystud at [email protected] He is the designer and patent holder on it and has an improved version that he is selling. Our shop uses them on every reamer, as we do 10 to 15 test barrels at a time and can get matching chambers with it. He also has a floating reamer holder in the works.

If you want the Micrometer Reamer Stop (MARS) contact Rustystud at [email protected] He is the designer and patent holder on it and has an improved version that he is selling. Our shop uses them on every reamer, as we do 10 to 15 test barrels at a time and can get matching chambers with it. He also has a floating reamer holder in the works.

Nat is a long time friend and a top notch guy.

I hold the reamer rigid in the CNC turning center, but used the JGS holder for years on the manual. Wore out the first one, they rebuilt it to their newer version at no charge. I’ve no complaints about the JGS holder.

JGS.

I've stopped doing business with PTG. With JGS I get the correct tools on the first try and less drama.

The Manson reamer holder only floats in two dimensions, the JGS floats angularly as well. We use floating reamer holders because there is always a small measurement error when indicating in the barrel. This error is present in all 3 dimensions, if your reamer only floats in 2 dimensions it will cut larger at the back of the chamber.

--
Pat Jones
Firestone CO

Back