What's new
What's new

where to buy replacement V Spring for J.L. Galef .38 Special

V-springs are easier to make than to find. Use high carbon steel from a spring. Heat to anneal. Machine, or forge to desired shape. Re-heat to harden, then temper in molten lead or the kitchen oven. If that is not practical, try Sarco or Gun Parts. Regards, Clark

Yes - will make if necessary. Hoping to find someone that has some replacement parts. It is the same as a S&W .38 Special so should be available somewhere. Much cheaper to buy than to make - my time is billed at $100 an hour.

I am in need of the V-Spring for a J.L. Galef 1924. Any suggestions on where to buy? Thanks.

You'll almost certainly have to have it made. I've only ever ONCE even had a Galef in-hand, and it was already a collector, not a shooter (1957 or so, and IF I recall correctly, a .32, not .38, as well. Then again, all handgun cartridges smaller than a .45 ACP looked much alike to my younger self!).

Here's a "reasonably fair" bit of back-story - if you are not already aware:

Spanish Imitations of Smith & Wesson Revolvers - Guisasola

JACQUES GALEF, 89, FOUNDED GUN FIRM - The New York Times

And I happen to LOVE "some" of the output of the firms and their (former) factories up in Basque Country Spain. My "Lawyers" were a product of Bonifacio and Julian Echeverria, and their OWN designs, not copies.

Not all firms in that area made the same rugged military-proven dependability.

I'd advise against firing your "Galef".

Back