What's new
What's new

where to get drawings for a revolver?

fettersp

Aluminum
in my free time I want to try to make a revolver. Where would I be able to find drawings or blueprints for all the demensions of the parts?
also what type of steel would be good for this? I have scrap chunks of 4140, various tool steels, stainless, etc. I don't want any big round as I feel like messing up something will be too dangerous so recommendations?
completely new to gun smithing but I think it would be a fun hobby. my shop has cnc lathes/mill, manual mills, manual lathes, presses, EDM, OD/ID grinder, Hones, good deals for heat treating and various other things so im not sure if I have all the tools for this yet?

No manufacturer is going to provide the world with their drawings.

You have to reverse engineer drawings from a sample.

I suggest a much easier gun project than a revolver.

QT:[ my shop has cnc lathes/mill, manual mills, manual lathes, presses, EDM, OD/ID grinder, ]
Be sure of shop rules ..I bought a grinder and a mill form a felow who lost his job and GM retiremnt for making a gun on his own time but on company property...I think he did not even know that was a big No No..and out the door .. The union did not have an argument ...

Last edited:
Having said all that ,there are plenty of half and 3/4 scale models of Colt 1851 Navies etc made by model engineers,with no more than a lathe and milling attachment...And ,I wouldnt do it at work ,if I valued my job..(which I never did).

I am not worried about loosing my job since I'm the owner now....
What would u reccomend for an easier option?

Blueprints in this video, full build in the videos before. But i would model it in solidworks or confusion 360 before i machined anything, to make sure it was right.

YouTube

Blueprints in this video, full build in the videos before. But i would model it in solidworks or confusion 360 before i machined anything, to make sure it was right.

YouTube

Had thought of her videos right away.

If that style suits, another potential source is the Jerry Kuhnhausen (probably spelled that wrong) book on the Colt's SAA or 1873.

in my free time I want to try to make a revolver. Where would I be able to find drawings or blueprints for all the demensions of the parts?
also what type of steel would be good for this? I have scrap chunks of 4140, various tool steels, stainless, etc. I don't want any big round as I feel like messing up something will be too dangerous so recommendations?
completely new to gun smithing but I think it would be a fun hobby. my shop has cnc lathes/mill, manual mills, manual lathes, presses, EDM, OD/ID grinder, Hones, good deals for heat treating and various other things so im not sure if I have all the tools for this yet?

WHY? To prove something to yourself?

Back