What's new
What's new

Layout Question

Hey!

Aluminum
Hello, I am making sort of a scout rifle and I need to drill & tap the barrel for scope mounts. My question is, how do I find the true top of the barrel and mark it lengthwise accuratly so I can drill & tap the holes? Are there special jigs, or layout tools to aid in this? Btw there are no sights on the barrel that I could use as a reference.

Thanks

Rick

Dang those jigs are expensive! Is there an easier way to do it?

Thanks
Rick

you could probably make one. I dont do that stuff on my personal rifles. How does this sound

Since you want a scout type gun why not use a 1.5-4X scope?

Well, it's a homemade gun so the reciver is not drilled or tapped either. lol Maybe I could make sort of a clamp that has dovetails on the top of it. Or I could attempt making a jig for what I want. Hmmmm......

well I got a few Ideas, now I need to try them out.

Thanks

Rick

Indicate your receiver in the upright position.

Clamp a matching set of V-blocks spaced to the right and left of where you wish to tap your scope mount holes on a portion of the barrel that has no taper.

Clamp your V-blocks to your mill table with the barrel indicated parallel to the x axis of your mill table.

Indicate the top of the barrel to check your setup is square with your mill table.

Use an edgefinder on the side of your barrel and move 1/2 diameter of the barrel over to locate the scope mount holes.

Touch off with centerdrill on all your holes and check that your hole spacing is the same as your scope mount,then centerdrill.

Determine the correct depth to drill your holes considering the diameter of your barrel and bore and drill.Tap with bottoming tap and tapping fluid being careful not to strip your threads.

Good Luck!

All Right! Thanks Barry you are awesome!

Thanks For your Help Guys!

I'll try it out, soon hopefully.

Thanks Again!

Rick

Back