who can gundril a bar of steel 24" long
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Im bound and determined to make a damascus rifle barrel but want somebody to dril it for me. Please let me know who can do this. It is black powder and could even use a liner if necc. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Try:
    Magna Standard MFG CO
    122 Cascade Boulevard, Milford, CT 06460
    (203) 874-0444
    They are in the deep hole drill business.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Gama, I shall give them a ring. Welcome to the forum! Bruce

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i am confused.........damascus(twist ) barrels were hammer welded strips around a mandrel ....the mandrel "drilled" the barrel ....reaming came next !!!!!!!is there a new process that passed me by in the last 50 odd years?

best wishes
    docn8as

ps .. well made damascus barrels need no liner for black powder & many were aftermarket proofed for smokeless .....the problem was cheaply made belgian hardware store guns & corrosion attacking the softer iron parts of the twist ,from corrosive primers & the hygroscopic activity of b/powder ...these pits ,when present have actually have eaten THRU........ the occaisional burst among the many thiusands of damascus barreled smoke poles being used after the introduction of smokeles powder , is what initiated the warnings...( & some certainly DID let go!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

whoops...missed the " rifle " part ....reckon one could weld heavier strips or multiple layers..........be interesting to see how true a hole could be drilled thru material COMPOSED of hard & soft spots .....if u would use a liner ,u could still weld the shell over a mandrel w/ single layer .....since a rust process will be needed to bring out the pattern, soft soldering a liner shud be ok....havent done one ,but some have mechanically fitted a liner also

sorry for mis reading ur post.....maybe there is something of interest anyway

best wishes
    docn8as

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

whoops...missed the " rifle " part ....reckon one could weld heavier strips or multiple layers..........be interesting to see how true a hole could be drilled thru material COMPOSED of hard & soft spots .....if u would use a liner ,u could still weld the shell over a mandrel w/ single layer .....since a rust process will be needed to bring out the pattern, soft soldering a liner shud be ok....havent done one ,but some have mechanically fitted a liner also

sorry for mis reading ur post.....maybe there is something of interest anyway

best wishes
    docn8as

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the reply and advice Doc. This barrel is to be only 24 inches long. It will be forge welded using the dry method in a canister consisting of 3 types of steel and some powder metal. The cannister will be forged out to length and twisted, annealed 3 times and lathe turned to approximate diameter. The bore will need to be drilled and may need the liner. If the right expert drilled it I dont think the liner is needed. The steel should be as easy as 4140 to drill because of the annealing process.

I wish I was good enough to weld strips around a mandrel like in the old days. Do you know of a book that will teach me how to do that?

Bruce Bump

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Bruce,
    Rifle barrels were made from a single strip of metal.The strip was heated,laid on an outside forming mandrel,an inside mandrel (the first one would look like a wide chiesel,the final one is a rod) was laid on it parallel to the strip and the hammering started until the strip had to be reheated.After it started to form a U shape,a different outside mandrel was used (probably more than one) until it was laped over itself,then it was hammer welded to create a seamless tube.
    Since it has a straight seam that isn't supposed to show and only one piece of metal,it won't show any pattern.
    Tha modern way is called hammer forging.It is a high production method done cold with a mandrel that forms the lands and grooves in one process.
    For a book on the process try:
    Foxfire Vol 1
    If you go to a real bookstore,they should know what you're talking about.Look on eBay too as I see them listed there.It has a bunch of other interesting things (to me) in it too.
    Robert.