What's new
What's new

Win 94 ejector

Gazz

Stainless
I have a Winchester 1894 in .45 Colt that has a broken ejector. Al the places I have tired for a replacement don't have any for that caliber. Would an ejector for another caliber work okay? Thanks for any advice!

The drawings I have show the fallowing.

45 Colt:
Cartridge:
Rim width: 0.060
Rim Diam: 0.512
Chamber:
Rim width: 0.060 min, 0.074 max
Rim Diam: 0.516

30-30 WCF:
Cartridge:
Rim width: 0.063
Rim Diam: 0.506
Chamber:
Rim width: 0.063 min, 0.070 max

44 Rem Mag:
Cartridge:
Rim Diam: 0.514
Chamber:
Rim width: 0.060 min, 0.070 max
Rim Diam: 0.524

I am not sure of the source of these drawing so you use at your own risk. (They have checked good with other sources for me so far).

It looks like a 30-30 or 44 ejector should work though.

Thanks for that bit of info! The parts catalogs I have show the .45 cal ejector as unique. I guess I have to try a 30-30 or .44 caliber in any case since the .45 ones do not seem to be available. I'll let you all know how it works out.
Thanks for all your help.

Check the OD for the body of the cartrage.
Its been a while sense I played with much 45 LC, but as I recall the difference between in the OD of the shell body and the OD of the rim is unusualy small.

I know that the 30-30 and 45 LC use different shell holders in my reloading press. I suspect this is the reason.

I suspect a 30-30 shell extractor will go over the rim but may have too long of a hook and interfear with the body of the cartrage.

It may be simple file work to make the parts fit, or it may be more difficult.

He was asking about the ejector, not the extractor. The ejector should be spring loaded, and ride in a cavity in the bottom of the bolt. Don't know why it would be that caliber specific.
By the caliber, I assume it's one of the new cowboy action models, not an original 1894. Do they have a different type ejector than the other Winchester lever actions?
Paul

45colt ejector

Either way, it probably is different, because there is only
.004 difference between the rim diameter and the rim bore for 45colt, and .010 for the 30-30 and 44mag. I'm trusting bandhmo's spec's on that.

I can't see how rim width would mater, but it has been so long since I looked closely at a model 94 that I could be wrong. I seem to remember the ejector as a flat blade where it meets the cartridge, so I would think that they would all be the same but I could be remembering all wrong.

According to the drawings I have the cartridge diameter just ahead of the rim is as fallows:

45 Colt:
Cartridge:
Rim Diam: 0.512
Body at Rim Diam: 0.480
Chamber:
Rim width: 0.060 min, 0.074 max
Body at Rim Diam: 0.487

30-30 WCF:
Cartridge:
Rim width: 0.063
Rim Diam: 0.506
Body at Rim Diam:
Chamber: 0.4215
Rim width: 0.063 min, 0.070 max
Body at Rim Diam: 0.4233

44 Rem Mag:
Cartridge:
Rim Diam: 0.514
Body at Rim Diam: 0.457
Chamber:
Rim width: 0.060 min, 0.070 max
Rim Diam: 0.524
Body at Rim Diam: 0.459

Rim DIAMETER

The cartridge rim DIAMETER is 60%tighter in the chamber rim in the 45colt than the 30-30 or 44mag. I may be wrong, but isn't the chamber rim the ID of the shoulder area the cartridge rim fits in? Maybe the ejector is offset, or ground to ensure clearance. I don't know why the book says it's different, maybe the extractor has a hard time holding on to that tiny rim so they put a little suction cup, or brass magnet on it. All I really know is if I'm buying parts and the one I need says UNIQUE, and I don't know why, I don't order something to see if I can make it work. For sure, I wouldn't tell someone else to do that unless I already tried it and know it will work. All said and done, with all the chit chat, by now we could have found a blueprint of this model/cal anda 30/30 or 44 for comparison.

I did buy the 30-30 caliber ejector and it will not work nor could it be modified to work. For some reason the engineers decided to make the .45 cal ejector longer and a bit more offset (I guess that has to do with the angle eject function). I also found this gun to have a broken carrier so it must have had one serious jam at one time with an anxious and aggresive shooter behind the hammer and running the lever. The ejector for the .44 is the same apparently but so far I have not been able to find one of those either. I am going to check with Weisners to see if they are reproducing it. I suppose I could make one but that is the last thing I want to do.

Brownells carries no OEM parts for Winchesters and haven't for a while now. They were actually the first place I looked.

1894 parts

Gazz, you can get a new reproduction(improved style) steel carrier for a post 64 model 1894 from wisners gun parts. It's $44.00 and they will make any part you need (45colt ejector). I would give them a call, I thenk they have prints and manuals they could repro for you for it. Good luck, I didn't find anyone who carries it, but I do like the fact they won't cannibalize old guns for parts-they just make new parts.

oops

Sorry, I read the add wrong, They don't make anything not listed(which includes your ejector-not listed). But they do list the carrier.

Just to let you folks know, I did find the parts or at least think I have. I had to call Browning for some parts for a BPS and when the automated answering service picked up it said "Thank you for calling the Service Department for Browning and Winchester - if you need parts press ?" So anyway, I did talk to a guy at Browning who said he had the parts and they are on the way. Hope they are correct! Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Back