Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Winchester 70 Classic

I donít want to get stomped on for this because I might have a hard time expressing it understandably. But here goes.

I have a Model 70 Classic I built up. I bought the action and held on to it for awhile before I had all the parts collected up. Its basically a stock configuration complete with factory wood, Hart barrel in factory contour and a Sunny Hill one piece bottom metal. Itís a lefty stainless mag bolt face. I put the factory H and H ejector blade and bolt stop in it as Iíve chambered it in .300 H&H. Foolish, I know but I love that old round. It took a few passes with different mag followers, a Williams extractor, and a lot of frustration but Iíve got it ejecting correctly 100% of the time with loaded and empties without modification to the port length.

So my question is that there seems to be significant rearward bolt deflection up/down upon cocking/firing. Iíve not measured it but itís a bunch. While the rifle is what I would consider a honest 1 MOA shooter by hunting gun standards, I am convinced this deflection is taking away from potential. Is there anything that can be done or is this the nature of the beast? I would be the first to admit that any work here would likely be above my pay grade and I would be happy to compensate for professional intervention.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Save your money. Tightening up the rear of the bolt is not going to make a difference you can readily detect with that cartridge and rifle. JMHO. All commercial grade hunting bolt actions have oversize bolt ways to allow for dirt and fouling in the field. Custom target actions are better because it is basically mandatory for a custom action builder to make a snug boltway to avoid criticism which would hurt sales given the anal tendencies of competition shoters.

RWO

3. Likes gbflyer, GenePoole, Butch Lambert liked this post