What's new
What's new

Winchester ammunition price increases

We'll have see if the other makers follow along.

Depends if the customers can restrain from flocking to purchase if they are the only ones available.

I'm reading that Federal has also announced price increases. As far as I know Remington is still off line. These overall price increases might incentivize them to get back in production sooner.

In past shortages the European, etc makers jumped in with more supply that helped. This round it seems the kungflu epidemic kept them out of the market.

I also read somewhere lead and copper are up substantially. That's not good.

I'm reading that Federal has also announced price increases. As far as I know Remington is still off line. These overall price increases might incentivize them to get back in production sooner.

In past shortages the European, etc makers jumped in with more supply that helped. This round it seems the kungflu epidemic kept them out of the market.

I also read somewhere lead and copper are up substantially. That's not good.

EVERYTHING will soon be up substantially. Trillions of "counterfeit" dollars flooding the world is the cause. :angry:

Yeah, I heard that in a Gunshop over the weekend. I can't blame the manufactures. Still, the price we see today is that as stated before a supply and demand. 8 million more new firearm owners, need ammo. There is ammo out there, but way above MSRP. Some sellers buy up much of the ammo and then jack the price.

It seems the middle men are the ones making the extra money on ammunition. It doesn't appear from Winchester's letter they are the ones getting rich on $70/box ammo.

A couple weeks ago a friend happened to be standing in a Cabela's when they brought out a bread rack full; he said the limit was 5 boxes/caliber. He bought 5 boxes of 9mm for less than $20/box. Cabela's volume likely means it buys directly from the mfrs or maybe through only one level of distribution.

The Mom & Pop size shops selling 9mm for $70/box are likely at the end of a long supply chain. Every time the box changes hands the price is getting jacked up by some extra percentage. It doesn't take many levels of that to triple+ the final price.

There might also be bidding wars among the lower level distributors just to get product.

The interesting question is when the next glut comes in to drive prices down.
I had a theory a while back that all the fear buying by the gun owning crowd and these new owners from the last year is gonna cause a glut in used guns.
I figured as things calm down lots of folks are going to be selling as they just aren't the gun owner type and just don't get out to use them.

The very long trend in the US is fewer and fewer household gun ownership and it seems that will continue after this settles down.

It is a hard thing to call.
Just off hand it seems a larger market for guns and ammunition would drive down prices after the manufacturing side gets up to speed.
It is weird- just how many brands of plastic 9mm semis can the market support.

It sort of seems there is no limit- a buddy of mine is building up Sig 320's off of the 80% FCG's on the market for them now.
Seems everyone at his shop is jumping on board and building one so the interest is there but good grief- after a while you can just have too many of the damn things.

Of course for same damn reason I need a Hammerli 160 special so maybe there is just no rhyme or reason to it..

To Uncle Franks point, and I did not clarify it in my post, the 'middle men' are buying up the ammo. The GS I was in, was trying to do an ammo drop. He had 'investors' with $100K. Contacted his suppler. The Supplier needed $1 Mil or no deal. Just note what MSRP is and what is it selling for. Also, CCI bought up the Remington line of ammo. They are moving it to NC or SC. They have to train workers. I heard 60-90 days of training. So, there is roughly 1/3 of the US ammo supply offline. So, I think there are at least 3 factors, more like 5 in play.

Winchester have always been the cheapest brand of primer in 5k lots here by a long shot.....probably 25% cheaper than CCI or equivalent.....The Winchester primers are also historically subject to deep discounting when an oversupply occurs,as recently happened with LP primers.......Anyway ,the rises wont be the last as the hyperinflation becomes more widespread.....its already increased house building material costs something like 50 % in just a few months.....And dont try to buy an excavator ....prices on late model used machines have more than doubled over 2019 prices for the same machine.

Everything from food to fuel has also gone up. The Covid protocols impose extra costs on businesses for PPE, cleaning supplies and so on. Add in rising energy and material costs and +15% increase shouldn't be surprising. The real problem for retail customers is going to be the additional cost added by sellers who are in the catbird seat right now.

I hadn't kept up with primer prices until recently when my brother started reloading. If Winchester was the low price producer they're probably using this "opportunity" to get in line with the other mfrs.

I suspect we won't see any new "green field" ammunition plants built. Between NIMBY and local zoning boards I'd be amazed to see a new plant built anywhere but overseas.

I did find this "Where's the Ammo?" video on the Remington site but don't know when it was posted:

Remington

I attended the Tulsa Arms Show yesterday. Some observations:

- 20cents/primer typical. There must have been millions of primers in there and I'm not kidding. 4000+ tables at the show and probably 1/3 had anywhere from 1k to 10k+ primers on them.

- pistol ammo $1+/round. The best price I found was a guy having a "Gun Show Special!!!" sale at $100/3 boxes of various brands of ball.

- rifle ammo $1-1.50/round typical. I did see a guy or two at 85cents for case lots of 5.56

- about zero loose bullets for sale. I looked all over the show for 160ish grain 30 caliber bullets and found none. I found ONE box of 30cal 200gr flat points. The only component bullets I found were a few boxes like 6.5mm or 338 or similar.

- I didn't look at powder prices but no larger containers of anything popular. A lot of the containers were already opened.

- I may have mentioned this before. I'm seeing ammo, primers, powder in containers and by defunct mfrs I haven't seen since I was a kid; all this priced like it was brand new. Actually, I'd kind of like to have a few of the old boxes just for nostalgia's sake but I'll be damned if I'm giving $50 a box for it.

Gunbroker is showing completed sales on CCI 41's as continuing to drop in price- selling as low as $.15/per now.

I will buy from retailer when they get to $.07....

Midway continues to have stock on IMI 5.56 at $.79 in case lots.
I guess I'd reluctantly buy some when it drops to $.35

Last night my brother bought the last box of 1k Winchester primers for $54 at Cabela's, limit one. A friend called me about 1405 to tell me they were there; several boxes of each flavor. I called my brother and he was there by probably 1445. Small rifle.

I had a theory a while back that all the fear buying by the gun owning crowd and these new owners from the last year is gonna cause a glut in used guns.

Depends on the gun, I have a Springfiield XD 9mm which I don't like, and wanted to sell, talked to the local range who sell consignment guns, he said they can sell it in a few hours for what I paid for it. Minus commision of course.

Back