What's new
What's new

WTB 9MM Para Rimmed Brass

pgfaini

Cast Iron
Looking for a supply of 9MM Para rimmed brass. I believe Federal brought some out several years ago, to be used in revolvers without moon clips. I've got a match grade 9x16 Shilen barrel blank I bought many years ago, for a customer who never returned. If I can get some 9MM rimmed brass, I'll pick up a SS action and build a schuetzen rifle to play around with. I've always thought it would be a good sized case for this. Rather not size down a .38 case.
Paul

38 super has a semi rimmed case and is a lot more plentiful than 9MM Federal cases,still uses .355'' bullets and can handle heavier bullets.
What is the twist rate of the barrel?

The twist rate is 16". I'd like a better rim than the .38 Super gives, I'll probably be using a Martini action, and haven't seen one for rimless cartridges since I barreled one for a customer years ago. If memory serves, it was a Francotte with a retracting extractor. I remember it had a swivel tang, which made stock drop adjustable.
I'm thinking about sizing .38 S&W brass in a 9mm die, and see what develops. Rather not have to make a custom chamber reamer, since I've already got a 9mm.
Paul

Ran a few .38 S&W cases in my 9mm sizer. There was almost no change, just a slight reduction about .125" down the case. I think I'll go with the .38's, if they don't hold the bullet tightly, I'll breech seat.
Paul

Bill, The .38 short Colt (Colt New Police) is the same cartridge as the .38 S&W. Delta, Thanks, good to hear my findings were correct. That's probably why Federal dropped the cartridge.
Paul

38 short colt is a shortened 38 special according to Starline, 38 colt new police and 38 short colt are not the same ;-)

Starline's words on it
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
38 Short Colt is basically a shortened 38 Special. O.A.L. of .755+.005; NOT a substitute for 38 S&W
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The OP is building a new rifle

Bill

Back