What's new
What's new

You ever got the feeling you've been baited by atf?

Cole2534

Diamond
Part of the work I do is firearm parts, AR-15 related usually. Barrel nut here, handguard modification there, simple stuff. Bout 2mo ago I got an email about making a tube with some threaded end caps. I own some suppressors, enough to know what that device looked like.

I declined the work, said it looked too close to a title II device to me, but the guy was really persistent. Each time I turned it down the request changed and some of the changes weren't really logical.

After the third or fourth email I stopped replying and so did he, no contact since.

It somewhat sticks in my mind that I could have been actively baited by an agency.

Have you guys ever felt that?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

I have a friend who used to do some part time gunsmithing.

He stopped doing any work for people whatsoever after numerous interactions with AR15 owners, he didn't trust these people as they were predominately new to the sport, and also had it in his mind that he could ill afford a visit from the ATF.

He said the local ATF could be very abritary in their interactions. He works for a large local local aerospace company. He was worried any ATF problems could affect his job if he lost his clearance.

I've been asked if people can use my machines to modify Ar15, I don't let AR15 parts and their owners past the parking lot. Too much risk these days

About 15 years ago when I had a Thompson parts kit a person who said they lived in Montreal posted on a gun board for helping in making a dummy wall hanger, and asked for the barrel dimensions. So I measured up the barrel I had and posted that info. He was all happy and then next asked for the dimensions of the bolt. !??? I told him bolt dimensions were completely irrelevant on a wall hanger and told him for further info to drive down to Numrich with some measuring tools.

Steve

Are there freelance paid informants out there looking for people to set up for arrest, to get paid for their efforts? A long time friend fell for that long ago after the passage of GCA-68, got a felony after agreeing to sell a NOS cosmolined luger with a shoulder stock to an ATF informant that he had had in the attic since the late 50s.

If you think they are ATF play their game and call ATF to report a suspicious request. I figure you do that a few times and get ATF running in circles chasing its own agents and they will leave you alone. :D

If you think they are ATF play their game and call ATF to report a suspicious request. I figure you do that a few times and get ATF running in circles chasing its own agents and they will leave you alone. :D

Good strategy. If you paper them with nuisance reports, would they put you on a don't bother with this goof list or watch you closer?

There's been at least two instances I know of personally where the BATF used previously convicted people as informants to set up cases for prosecution.

I am not one for conspiracy theories but this is about exactly what they did to Tommy Chong with his bong business

I am with the 'call the ATF' unless you really think it is just a moron, actually I would probably just tell the guy you are calling the ATF, that way if he is the ATF you are on record, and if it is a moron maybe you are telling him he is a moron

I don't really go for law enforcement setups anyway

Part of the work I do is firearm parts, AR-15 related usually. Barrel nut here, handguard modification there, simple stuff. Bout 2mo ago I got an email about making a tube with some threaded end caps. I own some suppressors, enough to know what that device looked like.

I declined the work, said it looked too close to a title II device to me, but the guy was really persistent. Each time I turned it down the request changed and some of the changes weren't really logical.

After the third or fourth email I stopped replying and so did he, no contact since.

It somewhat sticks in my mind that I could have been actively baited by an agency.

Have you guys ever felt that?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

My take on that situation is to forward said emails to the BAFTE. I would also print them out, hard copies for your records, and copies to be sent to the BATFE local office, via registered mail. If it is an entrapment ploy, then it will be marked off as a failure. If its some loose screw, maybe it will get the proper attention and save some lives. If it does not get the proper attention, at least you have covered your backside against any future legal litigation.

Just my two pence.

welcome to *real* big gov.

we can only blame ourselves.

baiting is now the norm for all areas of enforcement.

I don't have a problem with it. Oddly police have found that if someone will break the law for an undercover officer, they will break the law for a criminal.

My favorite one is where the police setup a fake pawn shop, buy stolen goods for six months, then invite all the sellers to a big huge party. Once everyone arrives, they lock the doors and arrest all the thieves.

Steve

I don't have a problem with it. Oddly police have found that if someone will break the law for an undercover officer, they will break the law for a criminal.

But when some schmuck shows up at your shop with a mystery part which you may not recognize as being a firearm or aircraft part and just wants a little work done to it, that is entrapment.

I always question customers about application, but I've caught more than a few lying to me.

Back