Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    If you are a FFL you should know the law. If you are working legally, why worry.
    I try to stay out of the "gun stuff" because, IMO, there are nutjobs on both sides of the law when concerning guns! Like he said, if you are legal why worry? If it is ATF/FBI/CIA/ Local law enforcement shaking you down (), don't you have permits and stuff for that?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I teach extreme long range rifle skills also..... I've have been offered two straight up hit contracts since 2009. Feds or a serious inquirer...I'll never know. And don't want to.

3. Likes empwoer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MonCeret Gunsmit View Post
    I teach extreme long range rifle skills also..... I've have been offered two straight up hit contracts since 2009. Feds or a serious inquirer...I'll never know. And don't want to.
    What's the going price for that? Asking for a friend.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    What's the going price for that? Asking for a friend.
    Well......How good is the friend, duh?

6. Likes Mud, DrHook, tdmidget liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah but if your a machine shop and someone come in with a part they want made how are you supposed to know what it fits? Some laws are stupid! Like not being able to sell something like a red dot scope out of the country! Dam things are mostly made in China and if a Terrorist wants a few he can buy them anywhere and probably direct from China! Anyone can buy an 80% completed frame, does that mean they can take it to a machine shop and have it finished? Heck they sell the jigs and fixtures so the average guy can finish it at home. I thinks the Law should get back to doing what they were supposed to be for catching the bad guys not playing political games.

8. Likes Cole2534, MIBill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    I try to stay out of the "gun stuff" because, IMO, there are nutjobs on both sides of the law when concerning guns! Like he said, if you are legal why worry? If it is ATF/FBI/CIA/ Local law enforcement shaking you down (), don't you have permits and stuff for that?
    Not for that level of work. Being an FFL comes in many flavors and building Title II gear is up towards the top.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

then there are the clowns out there making dummy suppressors
    looks like one but with out the guts

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 72bwhite View Post
    Never understood that, all the cons and none of the pros.

Cloners are a weird crowd though.

12. Likes BullyGW liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"What's the going price for that?
    ...about 20 years....

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yep,never discount any stranger as being a cop,or an informer...........years ago,the cops used to come around my shop of a night.........I had something they needed....What?.......a big trolley jack,jack up the wheels of the patrol car,put er in drive,and run up the miles while the cops played cards,drank ,and had girls come round.......you should have heard some of the stories of setting guys up,and "warehousing busts" for when the stats were needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by elysianfield View Post
    "What's the going price for that?
    ...about 20 years....
    Huh? If I screw a solid piece with a small hole through it onto the end of a barrel, it's NOT a suppressor so it is NOT illegal.

Maybe they think it just looks cool. They probably also added a wing onto their Japanese sports car.

Steve

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The ATF sent their goons to my neck of the woods when Obama announced "under the radar" gun control measures. I DO NOT make guns or gun parts. One day some skinny tweaker came in to my shop asking me to finish some 80% receivers. When I said no he asked if I would "rent" machine time so he could do it himself. I said no and told him to leave.

A few days after ATF goons showed up because they "heard" I'm making firearms and they just wanted to "have a look around" to make sure. I told them HELL NO and to leave the property immediately and if they ever come back they better have a warrant or I will call the sheriff to remove them for trespassing. They of course said the "well if you have nothing to hide you won't mind us looking around will you." They never came back. I later found out just about every machine shop in the region had the same scheme perpetrated on them as well.

17. Likes michiganbuck liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is a local-to-me machine shop that used to do some minor gunsmithing stuff. He stays far away from it now as the consequences are too dire for him.

As a hobbyist I only mess with my own stuff. It's just not worth the hassle.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Very likely baiting ..cops do that all the time..

I ground the stop bar from a machine gun slide for a soccer dad back when my 40 years son was about 10 years old. The fellow said it was a machine part then after done I found a slip of instruction (making full auto) in the bottom of the box. I don't do any gun work now-a-days. not even my own..can't beat good gun smith to do it right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In a gun unfriendly state like Washington, the few gunsmiths left, need the work. There are also state laws, such as its a crime to posses a machine gun part " that can mean whatever they want it to".
    I am sure most are assuming if one some how is snagged up in such a situation the BFI, and other such heroes, that they will be truthful and play fair, think again! If you were targeted, they most likely simply want to confiscate your equipment, and or, use you to entrap others, and they will say or do anything to make that happen.....Learn not to Burn!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Plane Parts View Post
    The ATF sent their goons to my neck of the woods when Obama announced "under the radar" gun control measures. I DO NOT make guns or gun parts. One day some skinny tweaker came in to my shop asking me to finish some 80% receivers. When I said no he asked if I would "rent" machine time so he could do it himself. I said no and told him to leave.

A few days after ATF goons showed up because they "heard" I'm making firearms and they just wanted to "have a look around" to make sure. I told them HELL NO and to leave the property immediately and if they ever come back they better have a warrant or I will call the sheriff to remove them for trespassing. They of course said the "well if you have nothing to hide you won't mind us looking around will you." They never came back. I later found out just about every machine shop in the region had the same scheme perpetrated on them as well.
    A friend who is a skilled machinist and is well-equipped with CNC machines for his trade, was asked to have his machines used to make AR parts. He asked me what I thought about it, and I told him that it's not wise to have others he doesn't know come into his shop and do something like that.

He wisely took my advice and declined the offer. He doesn't need the issues that could arise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They are looking to catch people. I don't know how this guy got on their radar.

Rochester man sold 'ghost guns' out of a Greece pizzeria parking lot, feds say

Phillip Rizzo is charged with unlawfully dealing in firearms without a license, conspiracy to unlawfully deal in firearms and selling a firearm or ammunition to a prohibited person, according to the criminal complaint.

Between May 21 and June 4, Rizzo allegedly manufactured and sold seven homemade firearms to a confidential informant of the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, ATF agent Sean J. Martineck wrote in the criminal complaint.

....In this case, Rizzo allegedly received these 80 percent blocks and then finished the firearm construction.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheels17 View Post
    They are looking to catch people. I don't know how this guy got on their radar.

Rochester man sold 'ghost guns' out of a Greece pizzeria parking lot, feds say

Phillip Rizzo is charged with unlawfully dealing in firearms without a license, conspiracy to unlawfully deal in firearms and selling a firearm or ammunition to a prohibited person, according to the criminal complaint.

Between May 21 and June 4, Rizzo allegedly manufactured and sold seven homemade firearms to a confidential informant of the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, ATF agent Sean J. Martineck wrote in the criminal complaint.

....In this case, Rizzo allegedly received these 80 percent blocks and then finished the firearm construction.
    How did he get on their radar... it's right there in the story, you even quoted it.

Between May 21 and June 4, Rizzo allegedly manufactured and sold seven homemade firearms to a confidential informant of the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

My guess is Rizzo told a few people he had built a couple guns for himself. Someone he told was approached by this scuzzy character who then said "Yeah, I know someone who can help you" not suspecting it was all an ATF setup.

Because in their eyes, this is less risky than, say, going after actual criminals. It's much safer for them to create criminals and then toss them into jail because the "informant" does most of the hard work, they only need to show up at the end to slap on the cuffs.

Fow what it's worth... I don't do gunsmithing. I am blessed to live 10 miles from a very talented smith. Dave could, with enough time, turn a truck axle, some steel scrap, and a chunk of lumber into a rifle. He always has a backlog of work to do, last time I took him one for a simple rebarrel it was a six month turn-around. He also replaced a few worn springs, a couple screws that had their slots a little buggered up, etc, then re-blued the rifle and refinished the stock. He's a good man, does great work, so I try to do my part to keep him in business.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 72bwhite View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cole2534 View Post
    Never understood that, all the cons and none of the pros.

Cloners are a weird crowd though.
    "Airsoft"
    Look like the real thing, and it makes them "louder".

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    "Airsoft"
    Look like the real thing, and it makes them "louder".
    And then you get kids getting shot by cops because they look like real guns. Ugh...

26. Likes digger doug liked this post