Your Opinions, Please.....
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I will be purchasing a mill and a lathe in the coming months. A well known riflesmith recommended a Clausing-Colchester 15x50 for its size, weight and meehanite construction.

What say you about this machine? Also, what mill is "as good as it gets"?

Thanks in advance,
    Ben H

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you are going to do a lot of barrel work this would be a good choice. If not I think it is a little big. I have a Clausing 13 X 36 and I find it be just about the right size. On making some small screws it tends to be a little big also but for general gunsmithing and barrel work it is just fine.

Mill - Bridgeport (or copy) standard knee mill. 12" X 42", power feed and DRO if you can aford it is a big help.

Good luck.
    Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The 15x50 is a good lathe, but will not allow you to chamber in the headstock. I have a 14x48 Clausing and it took alot of work to be able to chamber in the headstock. I would second the recommendation on a Bridgeport or clone. Thebarrelman

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks to both of you for your replies. Why can't this lathe be used for chambering through the headstock?

Thanks again,
    Ben H

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have seen dozens of 15X50 CC but must admit I never measured the head stock length. I have a CC 15X48 and to do a barrel in the head stock the barrel would need to be 32" long. Measure the head stock through hole, add the length of your chuck, and about 2 to 3" for the spider, then add what you need of the barrel to stick out and you will see why.