What's new
What's new

10sec Vid inside - VF X travel squeal back side only... Kid trying to solve.

countryguy

Hot Rolled
Issue: Bad squeal and chatter on backside of different parts and different sizes. Always on X travel, back side, traveling to left, (X-)
10sec vid: https://youtu.be/Rqt0-BDrHa0

Detail:
The Son is on his first big PO! (whoot!!!) A36 and 1020 steel. Imco cutter, 1/2 OD, I think they call it a 525 enduro. He worked w/ Imco on selection and S&F. He's done everyting related to S&F trial and error. This is 4 different parts with different geometries. Always terrible on that move (in video)

He's going to relevel the table as an idea.. possible vibration? We wonder about the Screw and a possible worn spot? Would folks have some thoughts on this issue or if you have seen it before.

TIA
CG & Son.

He has it solved. Never seen chips coming off this mill so large. It sounds super.

He:
re-leveled the mill
Used brass or alu dowel rod in the vice jaws. ( think this is the big one on this issue).
removed and remounted the vice. also Used oil soaked paper under the vice (to take up gap I guess.. never heard of that one).
the table is bowed in the center as many get...

If you have raw stock spanning multiple vises sometimes or typically you have less contact on different jaws. After you machine the raw edge be sure to recheck your vises. If the stock is stiff enough it will pull your vises out of square.

That tool holder looks awful long for a Haas. If you have a shorter one it would help. I prefer endmill holders as short as possible. I only use collets for drills, reamers, taps, and such.
Does it chatter in the X when milling the same depth of cut as the Y? The video looks like its only chattering on the area with the most tool depth. Maybe mill a test square removing the same amount of material on all sides to see if its the machine or the part?
Or O.D. interpolating a round 2" or so can show if there is a problem in one of the axis.

If you have raw stock spanning multiple vises sometimes or typically you have less contact on different jaws. After you machine the raw edge be sure to recheck your vises. If the stock is stiff enough it will pull your vises out of square.

I did not watch the video before. I just did now. Chatter is coming from the tool, not the part. Drop the rpms to 80% or lighten the cut up.

Back