What's new
What's new

1993 VF-0 Magnetek/Yaskawa GPD 515 spindle drive

Garwood

Diamond
New to me mystery machine. Just powered it up and the the braking resistors heat up as soon as the control is turned on. Spindle drive faults out quickly with RH alarm displayed.

I am not familiar with Haas (I know Fanuc stuff). I have not found a manual that covers troubleshooting/repairing this drive. Is there one available that I haven't been able to find online?

This drive seems like more of the disposable kind of thing- Do people repair these? Is there an equivalent new/newer drive that works in the older machines?

Thanks for any help!

I guess I'm going to take the drive apart and see what I can find.

Haas stuff sure seems lacking in technical repair details compared to other brands.

I used this outfit to repair/replace drives and boards and recommend them. Not sure if they're willing to help with a schematic or not but you can try. They're nice people.

Zaritron

New to me mystery machine. Just powered it up and the the braking resistors heat up as soon as the control is turned on. Spindle drive faults out quickly with RH alarm displayed.

I am not familiar with Haas (I know Fanuc stuff). I have not found a manual that covers troubleshooting/repairing this drive. Is there one available that I haven't been able to find online?

This drive seems like more of the disposable kind of thing- Do people repair these? Is there an equivalent new/newer drive that works in the older machines?

Thanks for any help!

I had the Magnatec drive in my Miltronics ML20 lathe "repaired" twice, it still has issues. It has superseded by a different manufacturer now but of course it is stupid money.

Can anyone confirm or deny this braking relay is normally closed?

From my limited understanding of how this works it appears this relay dumps the DC bus into the resistor bank when it's closed. I'd have figured it would be NO, not NC, but the picture on the relay depicts it as NC and the contacts are closed per voltmeter check.

Thanks for any help!

You mentioned that the machine was new to you. Did you verify the incoming power taps on the machine were set right? If they are not set properly the AC into the drive may be too high which will make the DC bus too high and turn on the regen transistor.

The regen dump is "usually" through a transistor not a relay. Look for a 3 screw transistor leading to the regen resistor connections.

Had a GP515 doing this in a Haas recently, transistor wasn't shorted. Sent it to Precision Zone for repair, however, parameters were not saved so took a little work getting it running again. If you send it out record the changed parameters so you have them when it is returned. Dealing with Yaskawa they confirmed that you can not talk to the drive with Drive Wizard so they will have to be entered manually. The drive has an OEM rom in it specific to Haas.

Back