1993 VF-0 Magnetek/Yaskawa GPD 515 spindle drive
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 1993 VF-0 Magnetek/Yaskawa GPD 515 spindle drive

New to me mystery machine. Just powered it up and the the braking resistors heat up as soon as the control is turned on. Spindle drive faults out quickly with RH alarm displayed.

I am not familiar with Haas (I know Fanuc stuff). I have not found a manual that covers troubleshooting/repairing this drive. Is there one available that I haven't been able to find online?

This drive seems like more of the disposable kind of thing- Do people repair these? Is there an equivalent new/newer drive that works in the older machines?

Thanks for any help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I guess I'm going to take the drive apart and see what I can find.

Haas stuff sure seems lacking in technical repair details compared to other brands.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used this outfit to repair/replace drives and boards and recommend them. Not sure if they're willing to help with a schematic or not but you can try. They're nice people.

Zaritron

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    New to me mystery machine. Just powered it up and the the braking resistors heat up as soon as the control is turned on. Spindle drive faults out quickly with RH alarm displayed.

I am not familiar with Haas (I know Fanuc stuff). I have not found a manual that covers troubleshooting/repairing this drive. Is there one available that I haven't been able to find online?

This drive seems like more of the disposable kind of thing- Do people repair these? Is there an equivalent new/newer drive that works in the older machines?

Thanks for any help!
    I had the Magnatec drive in my Miltronics ML20 lathe "repaired" twice, it still has issues. It has superseded by a different manufacturer now but of course it is stupid money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you haven't fixed this yet I recommend this company Industrial Equipment Service and Support | Precision Zone . They have rebuilt our spindle drives in the past and I haven't had any issues. Reasonably priced as well in my opinion. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by krusemissile View Post
    If you haven't fixed this yet I recommend this company Industrial Equipment Service and Support | Precision Zone . They have rebuilt our spindle drives in the past and I haven't had any issues. Reasonably priced as well in my opinion. Good luck.
    Thanks, I appreciate the reply!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just had the chance to rip the drive apart.

Is this little relay what powers the braking resistors? It's in the brake circuit.

Nais/Matsushita AHE2212 HE2aN-DC24V Power Relay | eBay

Anyone have a schematic?

Board number is YPHT31211-1C Yaskawa

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails haas-yaskawa-drive.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can anyone confirm or deny this braking relay is normally closed?

From my limited understanding of how this works it appears this relay dumps the DC bus into the resistor bank when it's closed. I'd have figured it would be NO, not NC, but the picture on the relay depicts it as NC and the contacts are closed per voltmeter check.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Opened relay. It is normally open. looks great inside.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post

Thanks for any help!
    You mentioned that the machine was new to you. Did you verify the incoming power taps on the machine were set right? If they are not set properly the AC into the drive may be too high which will make the DC bus too high and turn on the regen transistor.

The regen dump is "usually" through a transistor not a relay. Look for a 3 screw transistor leading to the regen resistor connections.

Had a GP515 doing this in a Haas recently, transistor wasn't shorted. Sent it to Precision Zone for repair, however, parameters were not saved so took a little work getting it running again. If you send it out record the changed parameters so you have them when it is returned. Dealing with Yaskawa they confirmed that you can not talk to the drive with Drive Wizard so they will have to be entered manually. The drive has an OEM rom in it specific to Haas.

11. Likes Garwood liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Garwood,

I found the manual on the yaskawa site.

A yahoo search for " yaskawa gpd 515 technical manual"

leads to a 300 page manual.

Mark