What's new
What's new

1994 Vf0 spindle orientation problem

MMWLLC

Plastic
Hi again. I have done an extreme bit of research before posting this and I am aware there are some other threads on this topic.

My 94 vf0 has the shot pin and ring style orientation. No encoder. Now when the spindle tries to orient I hear "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" and then it will usually orient. I put a new TRP solenoid and quick exhaust valve in maybe 8 months ago, so I do not think that is it. The ring is not really worn out looking. Per the research I did, a lot of people were saying that it could be the solenoid valve where the air comes into the machine. I replaced that, verified that the PSI was set to 17, still have the problem. I thought it might have been the whole shot pin assembly, however, there are no leaks that I can hear or see from that system. I have had parameters 73 and 74 set to 1 to slow down the orientation speed and that worked for a while but now it takes a lot of time for the spindle to orient. The haas guy I talked to on the phone said he thinks its either the spindle drive of the motif board. I sort of don't think that is the problem, but I obviously don't know that. He seemed to be really sure it was not the shot pin assembly, which is what I thought it was. I would buy one to check, but don't want to spend $400 before having a better idea that is the problem.

I am just about at the point where I want to get rid of this whole machine and get something else! haha

Any ideas?

Hello
I have a 94 vfo as well I had a similar problem a long time ago in my case it was the shot pin ring itself if my memory serves correctly there wasn't much wear on it just at the outside edges of the slot I repaired mine and it is fine since. It may not be your problem.

Hello
I have a 94 vfo as well I had a similar problem a long time ago in my case it was the shot pin ring itself if my memory serves correctly there wasn't much wear on it just at the outside edges of the slot I repaired mine and it is fine since. It may not be your problem.

I have a tiny bit of wear as well. How did you repair it? Or did you replace it?

If a replacement is easy to get where you are go that way. I just built up the edges with weld and ground down again. At the time I would have rather got the new ring and I always intended to get a new one but it had gone out of my mind until I was reminded about it by your post.

If a replacement is easy to get where you are go that way. I just built up the edges with weld and ground down again. At the time I would have rather got the new ring and I always intended to get a new one but it had gone out of my mind until I was reminded about it by your post.

This morning I took out the whole shot pin assembly and shot PB blaster into the pneumatic ports. I also stoned the shot pin ring and everything seems to be working just fine now, only one rotation to orient the spindle.
Will update in a few days if its still working.

Thanks for the advice!

Your orientation ring is worn out. Either replace it with new. Or weld up the old 1 to have semi sharp corners leading to the slot.

Back