What's new
What's new

2000 Haas mini mill - spindle has a hard time releasing tools after sitting for a day

JVM

Plastic
Hi everyone.
I have a 2000 Mini Mill that works flawlessly except lately I have noticed the holder release mechanism seems to seize or get stuck inside. If the spindle is empty (no tool holder in) and I press the Tool Release button the spindle doesn't do anything for a few seconds but I hear the air pushing inside and then all of a sudden the mechanism dislodges and or releases itself and opens so I can insert a tool. The same thing happens with there is a tool holder in the spindle except in that case it takes a few seconds before the tool is released.
I am not sure what part exactly is seizing or binding. It happens only after sitting for a day or so. If I running the machine normally then it changes tools with no problems whatsoever and it releases instantly. When I come back to it the next morning and try to put in a tool holder in the spindle the same thing happens all over again. I would be afraid to leave it without "exercising" the release mechanism for more than a day as it might seize or get stuck to the point where the air cylinder might not be able to push it out to release.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated. The machine otherwise works extremely well. I am beyond happy with it, it has paid for itself many times and the only issue it has had in the last few years was an intermittent problem with one of the servo drives. I hope this is something that is somewhat simple and it doesn't require me to take the spindle out.

It might be the solenoid. They get old and the little internal parts get gummy and quit working.

Hello
I have a VF 1 with 30k spindle and had same problem My solution was to use MS-260 (Cleaner) to clean tool holders then apply MS-122DF (Release Agent Dry Lube) to tool holders. This works great, and I reapply about every 4-6 months or when an issue presents itself with a particular tool. Haas technicians that service my machine have called to inquire about this product to share with their customers that were having the same issue. pobably worth your while to give this a try. This product is sold by Miller-Stephenson.

Hope this helps

Steve

Back