What's new
What's new

2002 VF-1 - help with phase converter ?

trw54

Plastic
I’m about to pull the trigger on a VF-1 for my home shop. I have a 100 amp single phase service. I just want to confirm that I can get a phase converter that will both run off the 100 amp panel and power the 20 hp mill. Any help would be appreciated. Also, I apologize in advance because I’m sure this has been covered somewhere in this forum and I’m just to dumb or lazy to find it in a timely manner.

Mines a 20HP vf2
2009 10,000 rpm

My phase 20hp phase perfect is more than enough to run it.
100amp 240 main panned.
Phase perfect is on a 60 amp breaker (way under rated I know but it’s never tripped)

Most CNC pull way less than their nameplates indicate.
You’ll be fine

Here’s my “hard use” on my 100 amp service

20hp phase perfect running a 20 ho lathe and 20hp haas. I will run both at the same time to 2/3 load (of course short needle spikes, but nothing sustained) or load one machine fully. All depends on jobs/workflow

Also while running a 5hp 240v single phase screw compressor.
My 120v 15 amp band saw
Lights. Gas heater and a few other small amp accessories.

Then there is whatever load the house is pulling.
Furnace. Computers. Parasitic loads from electronics.
No white appliances running as the wife is at work.

100amp is actually a lot of power.

Just don’t be shy on copper size. You can loose a lot of voltage running small copper or much length.
My pp receives 240-248v and it’s in the garage with the cnc’s

Yep. I'm running a 20 haaspower VF-0E on residential 100amp box thru an AD-25 25hp American Rotory phase converter on a 60a breaker. No problems whatsoever. Even ran my 10hp 3ph cnc router at same time. Purposely ramping both spindles and high rapids simultaneously.
Agree with the copper thing. Go with nothing less than 6ga to machine. Perhaps even go up one size for wires to idler motor than they recommend. I did not, but also have not had a problem. But in hindsight it seems to be a good idea for peace of mind.
I know of people running a 15hp rpc for a 15hp machine. And people running multiple machines on one rpc. I'm not an electrician and this is only my opinion. But between overly cautious rpc manufacturers and machine manufacturers spreading fake news about their ratings and horsepower everyone is lost whether they can run one in their garage or not. There are many on this forum doing just that. Even the 30hp 60a modern SS machines. (Static converters may be a different story)

Keep us posted.

Sooooooo Welcome! Tryhard and I have become pretty good IM pals and shared a lot on various subjects here. This is one of them. I sufferd from power issue. I have posts here I will locate and reply in this thread on. In summation, you are right on the search/lazy part. I do it too, but I have posted extensive details on my RPC and home electrical woes and successes. I dont even want to go dig for them. :hole:

anywho- I ended up w/ 4 calls to the power-co. Had a dinly 10K transformer in a rural area for 2 houses. Both with home shops. They upgraded to a 25K or 35K (forgot) 'pole re-stacking' as the gent called it.

The load and inrush you need is the key here. Power and balance among all 3 phases. I ended up running 1 gauge 80ft. from the Service (200Amp w/ a 60Amp breaker) to the RPC. 8 and 6 Awg... no go for me. NO ALU wire btw. dont is my advice.

Since the tweaks discussed in my posts.. it's all pretty good. AC unit goes off (if summer). The Barn and all the wifes water warmers and coop lights go off. (rural and poultry and such).

The other advice in the posts is to contact your power-co if you have issues or feel there may be an issue. I had good responses and took 3 or 4 months to get the pole redone at no cost.

Thats the short end of it all.

CountryGuy, don't think I ever asked. What phase converter are you using? And what hp is it?

Thank you very much for the replies. Seems to line up with all the research I’ve done, but always nice to get a little real world confirmation. Looking forward to moving into the CNC world from the knob twisting world.

Back