What's new
What's new

2004 VF2 lost all of it's memory...........UGH!!!!!

david n

Diamond
So I go to replace the soldered battery with the remote battery pack in my VF2(2004).............being ever so careful to plug in the new battery pack and remove the old battery from the board. Put the board back in the machine and the next two boards on top of it...............Go to put the sheet metal cover on and I bump/hook the wire going from the board to the battery pack and the flippin' thing comes unplugged!!!!!!!!!!!:cryin::cryin::cryin::cryin::cryin::cryin::cryin:. How in the world is that even possible. UGH!!!! Now what? She don't work so well with no memory. All I have now is a blinkin green cursor on the monitor....................... I have my back up disk, but now what? I know I'm not the first soldier in this fight...........who knows how to get outa this one?

been there done that ,,, wasted 2 days trying to reload and get machine going my self and then called in dealer and spent like $400 having him do it in about a hour ,,, ( long drive for them ) I would just call the dealer after this.

Bottom line is what is your time worth to you..

Well since all I had was a blinkin cursor, the local service guy said the board could be damaged. Said they could send a tech to try and get it up and running, but no guarantees..............If the board was bad I could send it to these folks:

https://wisrepair.com/

The HFO said this place usually can get stuff working again.................The gal I spoke with down there was pretty confident in repairing the board if there is something wrong with it................So all three boards are sittin on my shipping table to go UPS Red to GA.....................they'll go over all of them............... get them back early next week and then I'll have Haas out to re-install everything............Is it beer thirty yet? Sheesh...................

Been lots of recent talk about this exact scenario lately. Sucks you gotta go through it.
Please update for the rest of us. So we know what to expect, and how HAAS is handling software re-installs on older iron.

Check the top of the casting. There might be a spot to screw in an eye bolt. Probably be the most secure spot to tie off the anchor rope :)

Just kidding. This shit scares me about old CNC equipment. I'm sure somebody here will be able to better guide you back to life. A lot of smart people around here. We had a lot of problems with our old VF-2 a couple years ago. Board level stuff that a local guy came and sorted out for us. Cold solder joints, blown caps, etc. Every month it seemed like something else, but he was able to sort it out for reasonable money. It's been running great no hiccups since. Good luck, hope it's cheap.

I too have seen a lot of board level issues with Haas machines. The boards are just not as hardy as the Japanese stuff I work on. Lots of issues with low voltage power supplies. Tons of problems with the Molex connectors they used on everything. The wiring harnesses are also pretty cheesy IMO.

I had so many issues with the Molex connectors that I bought the whole Molex pin crimping tool set and I keep pins and connectors in stock. To be fair though, many of those issues were on a customer's machine that their in house guy had crimped together with some kind of hardware store crimper.

The good news is you now have a machine with zero hours on the meter...

My vf2ss is a 2008, when I turned the machine on I had a blinking cursor as well. lost parms due to batt.
Called the local haas guy they came over took 2 hours to fix it and left. unfortunately they forgot to add some parms and other settings., lucky I was able to get someone on the phone from the main haas factory and they helped me put the other settings on so I could stay running over the weekend. local HFO was suppose to come back but never did. for the last year I have been finding settings that weren't like they used to be and alarms come up. we got it all worked out with haas main factory.
anyway its so simple to add your prms from your back up its stupid. unfortunately I can't find the paper I wrote down on how to do it.
theres a series of keys you have to hit 1st then everything will be able to get uploded from your backup or org stock disk.
Why haas factory dont help how to do this is beyond me, I mean shit there sending people to work on the machines that have no experiance or very little and have to call the factory anyhow for the answers
it wasnt that bad price wise to have them come out. and they came out friday afternoon about 3pm.

If I find the stuff I wrote down I'll snap a pic of it. also there was a post about it on one of the boards on how to do it. I didnt try it cause I didnt trust the net.

When the battery dies (or is unplugged :( the ram memory is lost or corrupted.
I cannot remember the exact procedure, but bit a few buttons to get to the correct screen and another few to wipe the corrupted files.
After the wipe you can use a backup file or manually input all of the lost parameters.
But be SUPER careful!! There is 2 chips you can wipe. One has the parameters, the other has the operating system. do not make the expensive mistake of wiping the operating system. You will need a tech to fix that.

When mine died I was able to manually re-input all my parameters. Long process.

Back