What's new
What's new

2005 VF2SS, Today the power flickered and now the power on switch wont work.

kustomizer

Diamond
This afternoon we had a power flicker while one of the VF2SS's was running, it quit and will not start using the power on button but will and runs fine when I push in the main contacter manually? When I press the power on button there is a buzzing but no click. I suspect the coil but why does it buzz, my experiance is when they quit, they are an open circuit. Why does it work when I press it manually?
Any Ideas?
Thanks.

On ours, after a power outage, you have to turn off and back on the manual power breaker switch on the back of the machine. Then the front power button works.

If Chris' answer isn't it, I have had self holding relays not self hold when the contacts get dirty, and they can get dirty when the get slammed off under power

On ours, after a power outage, you have to turn off and back on the manual power breaker switch on the back of the machine. Then the front power button works.

I have seen that before and did cycle the main breaker so I could get into the back cabinet to check fuses and breakers and again to manually operate the contactor.

I live in an area where power failures are pretty common, i've replaced several main machine breakers after power failures because one pole fails. With the power off at your main panel breaker (not machine breaker, the breaker at your service) check to make sure you have continuity through all 3 poles of the machine breaker. Machines will do interesting things when they lose a phase...

I live in an area where power failures are pretty common, i've replaced several main machine breakers after power failures because one pole fails. With the power off at your main panel breaker (not machine breaker, the breaker at your service) check to make sure you have continuity through all 3 poles of the machine breaker. Machines will do interesting things when they lose a phase...

I did check that yesterday evening, all 3 legs were good, the problem got somewhat more complicated this morning as the damn thing powered up just like it is supposed to. I hate it when something fixes it's self an I suspect it will do it again later but for now it is up and running.

Thanks all!
mark

Could be a bad contact. A little dirt, debris, coolant, lazy contactor...sometimes bad power will cause an arc screwing the smooth contact surfaces. A few tries wears them back in or cleans the dirt off or...

Back