What's new
What's new

2015 Haas ST20, low hours, Z axis motor,Amp or Processor failure per Haas tech.

Nathan_W_V

Plastic
2015 Haas ST-20, Servo time 2687,Motion time 506, simple X,Z machine. Haas scrutinized programming first, then diagnosed my ST20 on 8/23/18 needing a new Mitsubishi Z axis motor. I captured video of my indicator on the Z axis moving neg Z .0035 in 8 seconds while in Memory mode and Jog(idle). Nobody believes you without Videos! Yes the machine is on solid concrete, level, far away from doors and sunlight.

On 9/14/18 Haas reset connections,tested,replaced the Z axis Motor,tested,Z axis cable,tested, amplifier from Tech's Van,tested. Not fixed, Tech wanted to continue testing and try replacing the processor. So I asked for original parts reinstalled,tested again. After 8hrs, I had to close the work order. They want to try the processor next with an open ended testing quote, but cash flow is low right now. WO closed.

Been running 1/2" bar, rigid set up, proven program, warm up routine(1/2 hour of X,Z and incremental rpm increases) 3-4 hours of good parts,no adjustments, then it loses repeatability, sometimes briefly or for the rest of the shift. I'm not letting operators touch this right now, I'm recording data and measuring results.

I really like the old Haas VF's we have but I'm beginning to miss the small, worn out 1986 Mori Seiki AL-2 lathe we had! What do you guys think?

2015 Haas ST-20, Servo time 2687,Motion time 506, simple X,Z machine. Haas scrutinized programming first, then diagnosed my ST20 on 8/23/18 needing a new Mitsubishi Z axis motor. I captured video of my indicator on the Z axis moving neg Z .0035 in 8 seconds while in Memory mode and Jog(idle). Nobody believes you without Videos! Yes the machine is on solid concrete, level, far away from doors and sunlight.

On 9/14/18 Haas reset connections,tested,replaced the Z axis Motor,tested,Z axis cable,tested, amplifier from Tech's Van,tested. Not fixed, Tech wanted to continue testing and try replacing the processor. So I asked for original parts reinstalled,tested again. After 8hrs, I had to close the work order. They want to try the processor next with an open ended testing quote, but cash flow is low right now. WO closed.

Been running 1/2" bar, rigid set up, proven program, warm up routine(1/2 hour of X,Z and incremental rpm increases) 3-4 hours of good parts,no adjustments, then it loses repeatability, sometimes briefly or for the rest of the shift. I'm not letting operators touch this right now, I'm recording data and measuring results.

I really like the old Haas VF's we have but I'm beginning to miss the small, worn out 1986 Mori Seiki AL-2 lathe we had! What do you guys think?

I'm sure this is obvious but you didn't mention the encoder. Did that get swapped with a new one when the motor was swapped? I don't know the setup in the Haas lathes, just throwing that out there.

I was told it is an integral part of those motors (Mitsubishi). So, Yes essentially the Z axis motor/encoder was replaced and tested. Then found not to be the problem.

The electronics reads tens of thousands of pulses per rev ,,, so it your getting .0035 movement time after time I would more think your looking at ball screw/ nut or end thrust .. I don`t think pules would reproduce the same reading time after time … Brain fart , Have you looked up to see what your backlash setting is ?

Haas came back out to the shop on 10/28/2018, on their dime to view the 830 alarm (Z axis). Diagnosis, PCB Processor MainCon failure.

Back