What's new
What's new

2017 Haas VF1 on steel shipping pallet... is this a Haas thing ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe for export... ?? IMG_4988.jpg IMG_4990.jpg
Previous owners were using it this way since new... maybe too lazy to remove it... maybe they liked it sitting higher ?? Either way, seems like removing the coolant tank for refresh would be a PITA... not to mention leveling...

Pretty sure they ship on wood. My mini mill did.

Many countries have rules about not using wood shipping products to minimize import of certain insect and fungus pests, so wood may only be used in the USA.

Edit: Phrasing wasn't great in the above sentence - by "wood may only be used" I was trying to say that "it might be that wood is only used".

Next week: I explain why nuclear bombs are not the best method for treating cockroach infestations.

If so, what a mystery as to why they went to all that trouble and used the machine like that for three years...

Dunno. But I had a steel platform made for a Haas SMM when it was to get installed in an upper floor of an office building that wasn't meant for such concentrated loads. The platform spread out the square feet, and allowed soft isolation pads to cut down on NVH transfer to the floor, while allowing a (relatively) stiff mount for the mill.

So maybe they had a need to spread out the load? I do agree that the capture of the coolant tank is a PITB.

The 2018 VF-2 we got was on a wooden pallet. That "skid" is definitely shop-built and it's not beefy enough to support a machine that size when it's under power IMO.

As far as the wood export thing, most countries allow wooden packaging but it has to be kiln dried and heat-treated (KDHT) to kill all invasive life forms.

Many countries have rules about not using wood shipping products to minimize import of certain insect and fungus pests, so wood may only be used in the USA.
You're right, but as I understand it, all that is necessary is the wood have been kiln treated prior to export. There are these tree looking "brands" (think cow branding) that are applied to crates/pallets that are approved for international shipment. That's how it was 5-6 years ago when I was working a shipping department that did a lot of international freight.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Is the back open so you could move it with a fork truck? Maybe they moved it around a lot??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is the back open so you could move it with a fork truck? Maybe they moved it around a lot??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Picking it up from the back is a pain because of the cabinet and coolant tank. It's way easier to come in from the front. The center of gravity is in your favor that way.

Pretty sure that's not a Haas export thing. All the ones I had imported to S.E. Asia all come on the standard wooden pallets.

DSC_0019.jpgDSC_0020.jpg

Back