What's new
What's new

2019 machine vf3 hard tool changes from time to time

Djstorm100

Cast Iron
I keep my pull studs greased
I keep my machine and taper extremely clean.
I don't leave tools in at night.
Air system is over kill for one machine, pressure doesn't move when tool change happens
However regardless of what I do from time to time a tool change will have a loud bang.

It's completely random and doesn't happen everyday day. I would say every few days.

I though at first it was a operation (drilling), it also did it after hogging out some alum.

All my tool holders are Maritool.

If I've missed something, ask please.

Last edited:
Applying a light coating of oil to the toolholder tapers about once a week significantly reduced this issue for us.

Not uncommon when hogging the spindle warms ip a little, and the taper gets pulled in farther. If your running it hard-fast dont leave the tool in when you go home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A whiff of the spray lithium grease is all it takes. I know some say to keep it squeaky clean, whatever, I think long term popping is bad on stuff.

It is important to have good air supply, perhaps even a local air tank post regulator. My reasoning is that the faster the air hits the tool release piston the less popping there will be.

Mine tend to pop on super clean holders that run 10k about 5 min. Probably because holder starts out cool and warms up, then something makes them wedge, think morse taper wedge effect.

Applying a light coating of oil to the toolholder tapers about once a week significantly reduced this issue for us.
What oil do you use?

Not uncommon when hogging the spindle warms ip a little, and the taper gets pulled in farther. If your running it hard-fast dont leave the tool in when you go home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't leave tools in the spindle when shutting down. It's so random I can't nail it down to a operation or time. It's just completely random.

A whiff of the spray lithium grease is all it takes. I know some say to keep it squeaky clean, whatever, I think long term popping is bad on stuff.

It is important to have good air supply, perhaps even a local air tank post regulator. My reasoning is that the faster the air hits the tool release piston the less popping there will be.

I've got 3/4 hard line around the shop and then I have a 25 ft 1/2" hose going to a regulator that is by the air inlet on the machine. I have the regulator set to 104 psi (console). I needto check to see if the side Gage and console match)

Mine tend to pop on super clean holders that run 10k about 5 min. Probably because holder starts out cool and warms up, then something makes them wedge, think morse taper wedge effect.

Yea I've heard about this as well. I warmed up the spindle (do it every time I run the machine) inserted a new tool holder and tool. Hogged out some 6061 and it popped.

Would like to know the what and why or way to minimize it. It can't be good for the draw bar, spindle, tool holder long term or I'm over thinking it?

I get the annoying pops. Sometimes it has been so bad the tool changer arm flexed slightly pulling the holder out of the spindle taper. Seems to be far worse when taper gets coolant on it for me. This is the biggest letdown on the machine for me.

ive been using an "extreme pressure #3" lube on my tm, I think its for dead centers. its a VERY VERY thick grease. Ever 2 weeks I apply an extremely light coating to a tool Im going to mill with. seems to transfer to the other tools well. I run a 4140 ht steel job with a 1/2" endmill that takes 20 min (air blast) profiling, the taper would get so wedged I needed a pry bar the first few times (glad it did not command a tool change!!) a pinch of this once in a while and I have not had the problem in over a year.

it always seemed to act up when heavy profiling, even if the tool taper/spindle did not feel warmer/cooler. as if it worked its way further up.. defiantly reminded me of a moores taper.
meh, pinch of grease and im solved

We had the same popping issue on our 2019 VF2SS. Now it's gone and all us perfect.

Tried number of things and eventually Haas tech solved it. He did two things.

He adjusted the tool change arm, but I am not 100% sure that was the (only) issue.

Than he updated the software and changed some settings regarding spindle lube process.

When you start the machine, warm it up and start cutting. When program finishes, check do you feel air blowing around spindle. It should do that for 10 minutes or so and than it will stop if machine is not running. This lubes the spindle. Out machine didn't have this activated from the start. When this was enabled, all popping ended.

Worth noting that we also changed the grease after Haas tech visit, we started using grease they recommended. I believe it is Total, I can check on Monday.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

My spindle has air coming out of ir to at least time minutes.

I did increase the air pressure to 107-110 because I saw during tool changes it would drop to 98-100 when I had it set to 104. Hasn't happen since but I can't say this is what solved it.

Back