What's new
What's new

304 Stainless

trock73

Plastic
Any tips on machining 304 Stainless steel bar on a Haas VF3? Roughing? Finishing? I’ve been cutting Titanium on a Makino T-series machine so this is a bit new to me.

What year VF-3? How big a part? It won't drive a large indexable very well, but 1/2" endmills and under (and sometimes 5/8") I run the cutter manufacturer's recommended parameters in all materials (Delrin to 17-4 H900 and Ti6Al4V-ELI) on a 2015 VF-3SS. Even cut some Cobalt Chrome and full hard S7 a couple times.

It’s probably 7-10 year old machine. The material is 17(L) x 2.5(LT) x 3.0 (ST). I have a 2.0 5 flute Seco Insert cutter I was wanting to try out for roughing. Any recommendations on SFM, depth of cut?

a 2" might be ok, maybe cut the manufacturer's recommendations back to about 80% to start and see how it goes. You might find it can do 100%, or maybe not. Mine is a 2015, and it does well dynamic roughing and finishing with solids at 100% of recommendations. I can take a .050" depth pass full width with a 2" indexable in 17-4 H900, that's about its limit.

Back