What's new
What's new

5TH Axis upgrade on a TM2

astropaulo

Aluminum
I need to upgrade my TM2p 2012 for 5th axis and was wondering what is actually installed for the 8k price other than the servo amp. If it's just the amp why is it so much more than the 4th? Also if it is only the amp can I pick up a used one and connect it up and have it work? Anyone try this? Just checking options before calling Haas.

You're just getting the amp, I don't know the specific difference but the 5th axis one has a lot more wires coming out of it so they are not the same. They also require an activation code upon installation, basically to keep you from doing what you suggested.

Have you checked into the sizes yet? On the 5 ax tr160 trunnion your platter top is 9" from the base. That leaves you with roughly 7" of Z, not including tool length.

I went down this road with a Tr110 and a VF2.
Local HFO told me that the factory would not sell the code alone and that it had to be purchased With the hardware from Haas.
So a good deal on a 5th is good, but a good deal on the 5th drive and wiring harness is a dead end, according to the factory.

I would love to see some vids of this once your making something. I am a big fan of the TM series, they offer great value for someone running single phase but needing a reasonable machine. more capable than people give them credit for

I do all prototype work. Rarely get to make more than 2 of anything. The TM2 has been the perfect fit as far as speed and size of machine. Wish I had a TM3 for that extra 4 inches of travel. Looked at the VF3 but the size and weight make it unmanageable in my shop space.

I ended up with a tm-1 and tm-2 simply due to great used prices locally, sold the tm-2 and defiantly miss the extra y travel, but i needed the tool changer that was on the tm-1 I had. Maybe it was just the used machines I had, but I feel the tm-1 is more ridged, having less spindle head extension. for prototype it may be less of a care, rigid vs travel and the type of work you do, but I think the sweet spot is the tm-2 overall.

I have debated a vf-2 from time to time, working in my home garage the single phase was great, though i do have a 20hp phase perfect for my lathe now. the thing stopping me from pulling the trigger is i can run the tm and lathe at the same time, a vf would draw more and require more air (need larger compressor, mines tiny), this would force me to run only one machine at a time (i pull 97 amp on my 100 amp service with both spindles loaded with lights and compressor)
also as a one man band right now, im only on the machines 25% of the day anyways shaving cycle time is not gonna get me much value when im doing design/sales.

im happy with the tm power. milling 1045 steel today, 0.375" doc, 0.05 woc, 5500rpm, 100ipm, sitting at 90% load. its no best, but makes the parts reasonably quick:)

have a great day:)

I've been thinking about a Mod for the Z axis since the trunnion is so tall. I was looking my machine over and it looks like I could get the Z axis to go up about 1.25" more than it does. Looks like there is about 1.625 travel left on the ballscrew and maybe 3 inches on the ways. I could do this by moving the axis home/limit switch up by that distance so when the machine homes it finds home at the new height. I know the min height above the table would be higher but the clearance over the trunnion would make up for that. For the tool turret I can just make a spacer to raise it up that distance. Anyone see a big problem or issue trying this? As far as I can tell the machine shouldn't see any difference.

I've been thinking about a Mod for the Z axis since the trunnion is so tall. I was looking my machine over and it looks like I could get the Z axis to go up about 1.25" more than it does. Looks like there is about 1.625 travel left on the ballscrew and maybe 3 inches on the ways. I could do this by moving the axis home/limit switch up by that distance so when the machine homes it finds home at the new height. I know the min height above the table would be higher but the clearance over the trunnion would make up for that. For the tool turret I can just make a spacer to raise it up that distance. Anyone see a big problem or issue trying this? As far as I can tell the machine shouldn't see any difference.

If there is room for it to travel and you see no mechanical interference anywhere (aka casting crunching on something) I see no reason you cannot do this. I've done it in a lathe to get an extra 1".
A few notes
Make sure there is still a little room for rapid movement Over travel
You will need to re set your tool change heights if you have a changer
You will not change/loose your spindle to table clearance. Just change the maximum travel in the control

Another option is to unbolt the z axis main column and add a spacer (surface ground parallel) you can lift it 10 " if you really wanted. Just verify when re installing that you are square to the table.

In the end they are just dumb machines. We tell them (or lie to them) to get a desired outcome.
One think I like about the pre ngc is the parameter flexibility in the controller. You have a lot of flexibility.
Apperently the new one you need to pay to accsess most parameters. Super lame

I thought about the column spacer also, then I looked and found out the TMs are a single piece casting. I'm thinking now about finding a used VF3- kind of like the idea of the extra 5" of Z travel.

Back