What's new
What's new

95 VF3 keypad / keyboard acting up

RockyTopMC

Plastic
Recently I have had an issue with my control freezing and running slow. I think I might have narrowed the issue down to the keypad but I wanted to run it past yall before I spent $375 on a keypad. When I start the machine up it goes straight into hang jog instead of messages and will say no Z zero. If you mess with the keyboard for a little while it will eventually act right for a minute and may or may not freeze again. It also doesn't go to the hand jog screen every time you fire it up. Normally it goes straight to the messages screen and awaits for you to push the power up button. So I got to messing with it today and I got it homed out and it would act right and then would start running slow and if you tried to go back to let say list prog or edit it would flip back to the hand jog screen and either go really slow or freeze. Like youll push a button and 2 seconds later it would beep, sometimes twice. Haas was helpful but Ive been hearing the support on the older stuff hasn't been great lately. Is it a heavy possibility its the keypad? Could it be a bad board? I couldn't find much doing a search on this particular issue and nobody seems to have it resolved.

This is from a post I had last year... there are others on this and on eBay there is a guy who sells an interface for the SKBIF. use that term on goofle or here too.

Have you looked at how the keyboard matrix is being scanned. Understanding how it works might prevent you from spending time and money.

A keyboard matrix can be polled or interrupt driven. My explanation will use a active low signal.

1. A polled system will drive all rows low for a few msec then read the port register for the columns. If the column port register indicates a change then the key press is valid and the key can be decoded in a lookup table using the column and row data. A two key lockout is usually used at this time to ignore a multiple key press.

2. A interrupt drive system will only scan the keyboard when one key is pressed and not waste time otherwise.

What does the keypad look like? The width of the keypad cable?

The keyboard works on a diode matrix. Each row is attached to a diode both vertically and horizontally. You can use a ohm meter and determine with no power on if you have a key or keys acting up.

Back