What's new
What's new

97' VF-6 Alarm #213 Program RAM CRC Error Help!

CNC_Chip_Thin

Plastic
Hey all,

Long time reader, first time poster. I'll save my introduction for another rainy day but glad to join the community.

Came in this morning to our 97' Haas VF-6 throwing alarm #213 Program RAM CRC Error. The book simply states "Electronics fault, call your dealer". I'm hoping we don't have a burnt out board in the back because that sounds expensive.

I deleted some of my recent programs from memory in case one of them was bad and to free up space. Alarm is still there.

Next step was going to be backing up all parameters, programs, offsets etc... I was going to remove everything and upload it all again and see if that helped. This machine was retrofitted from 3-1/2" Floppy to a USB input to make things easier a few years ago. Then it was hard wired in to our network so I have been transferring programs via ethernet cable using DNC server. Which has worked great, fast, convenient and simple to use. But now that I'm looking to back everything up from the machine I can't figure out how to send anything but a program via etherenet and DNC. All that I've read has pointed too backup via direct USB or 3-1/2" Floppy. IT has disabled all USB ports in the building so that's not an option as of now.

So to sum it all up I have 2 questions:

Am I going to have to beg IT to turn on my USB just to get everything backed up or is it possible via DNC?

If I do back everything up, re-upload settings and the alarm is still there, where should I start looking to find the cause of the problem?

Obviously hoping it's not a main board that's bad and also trying to avoid a service call.

Thanks in advance for the help, I look forward to being a regular poster and not just another Troll!

if you hit up Google for 213 CRC you'll get a lot material to Scan. Some posts here of late (my issue included) and the recent CPU board repair posts - All get down to some usual things we can try. One of them is clearing the BBU RAM and then reloading fresh from the firmware side back into BBU Ram, and then restoring the the parms files. A few posts in particular I just read from my Google will show up, but won't post here from that nczone place. That was my first thought and there are posts which tell you both how to do this and that it did resolve CRC issues. No promises of course... PM me or just post back here and we can get you those steps.. step1 . ya have all your parm files. 2 copies right. . . .

What does this process do then? There are many online posts noting this process for recovering BBU-RAM. maybe that's all it is, but there is a base recovery process to start over and get the OS (firmare and BBU-Ram) running again. Being new and w/o an real detail, maybe you can elaborate a bit?
1.- Power on + PRGRM CONVRS button [access to basic OS]
2.- Typed M 6000000 60FFFFF [Clear the BBU-RAM, see manual posted above]
3.- Restarted the machine [Start blinking and power off countdown same way after battery depletion]
4.- Typed DEBUG -> (machine model*). Machine restart on Its own. [*Important: Make sure to input the correct machine type, won't be the same to input VF2 or VF2D]
5.- PARAMS -> P7 (off) [unlock the parameter modification] -> P26 (type serial code) -> P7 (on)

You can’t install the OS back on the boards. Haas has to do that but we can Repair your boards and save you some $$$.

You can not just clear some of your programs. You have to do them all. This includes the 9000 ones. Make sure you go into settings and make those unlocked so they can be deleted as well. Then select "All" in the program list and delete them all. Error should clear. Then reload them back. If the error does not clear you most likely have a bad RAM IC. I do board level repairs. I also do RAM upgrades. Many on here can vouch for my work including countryguy. :) Let me know if you need more help with this.

There is a bug in some older versions that causes this crc error and is caused by some specific key press according to some old posts I found. For my 95 control I had similar happen, so I cleared the programs and started over and never had an issue after that.

So I got pulled away for a bit to get another job done but I got back to the machine yesterday. I got all programs and offsets backed up as well as parameters etc... Cycled the power and the control came back and powered up normally. The first time around it didn't home the tool changer which was strange so I cycled the power again and machine homed out just fine. So we are up and running with everything backed up in case of any future problems.

Thanks for the help, hopefully this is a one time thing and I won't have to do this again. Next project is to get the dual battery kit installed!

Back