98 Haas VF-2 wont boot vector drive fault, MOCON & processor halt lights. - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I looked at the processor board with an inspection microscope today. Board was very dirty on (bottom) fan side of components. Cleaned board as best I could. Some of it looked like black plastic stuck to the chips and pins but I didn't get a good picture of it. Some looked like standard machine shop grime I guess. I also verified that there is battery voltage going to my 2 BBU RAM chips. Should I go ahead and do a BBU RAM reset or try C40 replacement first. It almost seems like I have serial com trouble since I couldn't type in monitor mode and now I can, and when I disconnect the SKBIF board the program light goes on solid (normal). Let me know what you think. Thanks.

20181017_084536.jpg20181017_084544.jpg20181017_085240.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I finally got up enough nerve to clear the BBU RAM and this is what I get (see pic). I was told that either my RAM chips have failed or the PAL chip. I think I am going to go ahead and buy a used processor instead of sending this one for repair.

20181020_115923.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey D... Been heads down on this end and I think you are making the right choice in getting a replacement board. I sure wish we could have ended up with a less expensive option for ya, but as our knowledge grows on the forum w/ others, maybe we can get this thing fixed someplace down the road. On a positive side, going from 256K bbu ram to 1Mg replacement board is a nice bump! if you ever want to put a Probing system on, you absolutely can.

Here are those two links I noted for ya.
    Highland DNC, LLC.

Lubrication Systems, Showa, Bijur, Vogel, Trabon, Daikin, Tuthill, Chen Ying, Alemite, Daido - Call Toll Free (800) 323-3826 (all things oil. great guys to deal w/). You can get the flow restriction units from these guys).

Quote Originally Posted by dwilley View Post
    I finally got up enough nerve to clear the BBU RAM and this is what I get (see pic). I was told that either my RAM chips have failed or the PAL chip. I think I am going to go ahead and buy a used processor instead of sending this one for repair.

20181020_115923.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I received my new/used processor. I was told this board came from a running machine that the transmission went out of. The first thing I noticed was a resistor soldered to one of the serial com chips (see pic). The heat sink also had a warranty sticker on it from the same place the board shipped from. So I installed the board and all I get is the usual beep and a flashing box in the middle of the screen with a row of dots across the top. Try to boot into monitor mode and get the same result. Now I get angry, this board is worse than mine, at least mine would boot into monitor mode. My first thought was that they cleared the memory if they repaired it so I decide to swap the PROM chips. When I did this I get an entire screen of dollar sign looking weird symbols. So I swap the chips back and I also cycle the 2 switches on the board. I put it back in and it boots up fine. So I'm not sure what "fixed" it or if is will happen again but I cycled power a few times and it booted up fine every time. Now I am ready to reload the RAM with my parameters and manually adjust the spindle orientation and tool change height. Any advice or comments are welcome. Thanks again for all the help.

20181028_105627.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The board doesn’t have any software and even if it did, it has to be compatible software for your machine and other boards. Send me all 3 of your original boards (video, Processor and mocon boards) I can Repair the bad board, video it running in my machine. Then Haas has to install/ reload your software and your back up and running. We warranty our repairs for 12 months.