Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

looks like the A axis has a dummy load board on it. does the board have any wires going anywhere else ? not counting the black ,yellow and white going into it .

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss710 View Post
    looks like the A axis has a dummy load board on it. does the board have any wires going anywhere else ? not counting the black ,yellow and white going into it .

Nope. Thought that was kinda odd myself. Guess the drive power wires maybe branched off of it. Cant tell in pics.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ok does the machine have probing?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No. Think it may have at one point.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ok does the machine have probing?
    rephrase: No, But it does boot to this screen... ?
    Was gonna be a future subject for a new post. But if you wanna tell me what you think here then go for it.

img_20190926_164002136.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

lol that's the message screen. you can write anything you want on that screen and it remembers it. when it's that way have you tried the jog mode or mdi or any other 1? ok if indeed the power supply is the problem. you can buy a AT or ATX computer unit and the hardest part will be mounting it. I can walk you through the wiring if it needs done. if you look above the most left circuit breaker you will see 2 cables that are from the power supply. the AT or ATX needs the same 2 connector. most do but I was surprised 1 time by a odd power supply that didn't and had to splice the wires to use the original style connectors.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Haas VF Power supply swap with PC PSU?

lol that's the message screen. you can write anything you want on that screen and it remembers it. when it's that way have you tried the jog mode or mdi or any other 1? ok if indeed the power supply is the problem. you can buy a AT or ATX computer unit and the hardest part will be mounting it. I can walk you through the wiring if it needs done. if you look above the most left circuit breaker you will see 2 cables that are from the power supply. the AT or ATX needs the same 2 connector. most do but I was surprised 1 time by a odd power supply that didn't and had to splice the wires to use the original style connectors.

I'll measure the voltages next time im out there messing with it. Anything I should expect or look for in voltage range? Guessing I just measure a couple of places where I can measure +/- 5 or 12vdc to ground etc... ?
    And connectors-wise on ATX PSU, do you mean the main connector plus 2 other types of plugs? Like the old IDE and floppy power connectors? And do you feel pretty confident about that board being my problem with the ON/OFF/ON requirement I have at boot?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd feel confident if I knew what voltages you had. I'd check them at the power distribution board ( the board that the brakers are on) and yes on the connectors. you can see they are the largest 2 connectors coming from the power supply. the voltages should be +5.25 ( at anything less then 4.95 and u will have problems) the +12 should be around 12.15 vdc ( anything less than 11.95 will cause issues) -12. normally reads just a tad over -12. ( -11.85 or lower can cause issues) the stack uses mostly 5. vdc.
    Multi-Quote This Message

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ok.... Holiday is over... Been reading this one from afar, home and I'll dive in a bit here. I am not a haas expert but worked on this tech for a decade w/ a big aerospace place. huge 90's tech stuff w/ electromech, TTL,CMOS, ROM/ and stacked Analog/digital board sets. Sooo... that said- I too would just swap the Atx type 5/12/12 supply. Measure all ya want w a voltmeter, but w/o checking the output caps for ESR readings, and all types of little things w/ 25yr old switch-mode power supplies- for $30- Swap it out b4 it does ruin something. (I have a 98 VF/4) and I got rid of mine w/o a few months. (long other posts under my Id). To me, it's needed at this point anyway IMO. Now- A long time 'tech shotgun' guy, I get that we're jumping right into hey, swap this mode. Yup, and it's my usual way to go as well. But, I have seen posts here before where folks discuss checking the various LED indicators on the CPU board during the power on odd-event. I am wondering what you see on the some of the boards during this odd condition. if it were my setup- I would replace the power supply. Done deal. Check it... if it does it again, then start checking the on-board indicators to see if we can understand what might be going on. Also, the LCD display itself, and some of the SKBIF I/O routes around thru these spaces. Just to say that while we say swap the Supply, (which makes sense), the end game might be something where some digging in might be needed but I hope not.
    The system IMO had a probe setup.
    different space: Does this system have the optional Mcode relay board on the I/O board. My 98 does. And the probe I put in is looped thru these optional user Mcode relays. Just wondered if there was anything on those terminals?
    The 2 transformers on the lower floor are the same units I received w/ my optional 4th & 5th axis kits. These were to run from my AC brushless drive to DC brush motor 4th/5th TRT 210 hook up & conversion. This was needed to run to DC 4th/5th type older TRT 210 DC axis motors. (wow.. it's been a few years now- I hope I am getting this right .. forgetting over PBR fog). Mine has that same mounting plate on the floor (I put it in) ... so this unit had some type of brushless to brush converter for something... I did not see any of the wiring on yours? Those xformers are $295 from haas. don't pitch them. The kit is like $495 and comes w/ all the connectors, xformer, and harnesses. pretty easy to wire all up...

ok... hope some of the rattle help here. Good luck w/ the unit. have you pulled the way covers yet? had a real mess under mine and the kits and rubber to rebuild are not expensive... just wondered if you looked under yours yet? I was glad I did it in the end. X and Z were really bad/rusted/dirty but a day or two later and they worked like new again.

CG out!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by countryguy View Post
    ok.... Holiday is over... Been reading this one from afar, home and I'll dive in a bit here. I am not a haas expert but worked on this tech for a decade w/ a big aerospace place. huge 90's tech stuff w/ electromech, TTL,CMOS, ROM/ and stacked Analog/digital board sets. Sooo... that said- I too would just swap the Atx type 5/12/12 supply. Measure all ya want w a voltmeter, but w/o checking the output caps for ESR readings, and all types of little things w/ 25yr old switch-mode power supplies- for $30- Swap it out b4 it does ruin something. (I have a 98 VF/4) and I got rid of mine w/o a few months. (long other posts under my Id). To me, it's needed at this point anyway IMO. Now- A long time 'tech shotgun' guy, I get that we're jumping right into hey, swap this mode. Yup, and it's my usual way to go as well. But, I have seen posts here before where folks discuss checking the various LED indicators on the CPU board during the power on odd-event. I am wondering what you see on the some of the boards during this odd condition. if it were my setup- I would replace the power supply. Done deal. Check it... if it does it again, then start checking the on-board indicators to see if we can understand what might be going on. Also, the LCD display itself, and some of the SKBIF I/O routes around thru these spaces. Just to say that while we say swap the Supply, (which makes sense), the end game might be something where some digging in might be needed but I hope not.
    The system IMO had a probe setup.
    different space: Does this system have the optional Mcode relay board on the I/O board. My 98 does. And the probe I put in is looped thru these optional user Mcode relays. Just wondered if there was anything on those terminals?
    The 2 transformers on the lower floor are the same units I received w/ my optional 4th & 5th axis kits. These were to run from my AC brushless drive to DC brush motor 4th/5th TRT 210 hook up & conversion. This was needed to run to DC 4th/5th type older TRT 210 DC axis motors. (wow.. it's been a few years now- I hope I am getting this right .. forgetting over PBR fog). Mine has that same mounting plate on the floor (I put it in) ... so this unit had some type of brushless to brush converter for something... I did not see any of the wiring on yours? Those xformers are $295 from haas. don't pitch them. The kit is like $495 and comes w/ all the connectors, xformer, and harnesses. pretty easy to wire all up...

ok... hope some of the rattle help here. Good luck w/ the unit. have you pulled the way covers yet? had a real mess under mine and the kits and rubber to rebuild are not expensive... just wondered if you looked under yours yet? I was glad I did it in the end. X and Z were really bad/rusted/dirty but a day or two later and they worked like new again.

CG out!
    I did check voltage during the first power on. It was like 5.2v and 12.25v & -12.3v.
    A few posts earlier it was determined that my power supply is a weird one and 10yrs old. Not 20.

Did buy the rubber wiper material but have yet to tackle that. Was gonna wait til I put the rest of it back together before I took anything else apart.
    Also have z axis and rear y axis covers on their way to me. Any pointer there?
    98 VF-OE

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Countryguy, you said axis cover "kit and rubber" ?
    What is in the kit?