What's new
What's new

Activate Tool without Physical Tool Change

sdinzy

Aluminum
I am using NSK HES510 speeder spindles (note, multiple) on and off throughout the machining process. Sometimes multiple operations in a row use a speeder, sometimes not. The HES510 has to be manually hooked up each time it is run, so I manually insert them into the spindle (2020 DM-2 fyi) when their turn comes via a stop command inserted by the post. There is currently an "empty" tool change that takes place every time a speeder is used, as I don't keep the speeders in the ATC due to swapping out tools in the extra speeder while one speeder is running (i.e. queuing up the tool for the next speeder operation). Hopefully that all makes sense.

What would be nice is a way to activate a new tool without actually calling an M6 tool change. Calling the M6 doesn't only physically change the tool, it activates the tool in the offset table, which obviously affects cutting offsets. If there is a way to activate a tool without going through the tool change, it will save the time of closing the door, empty tool change, inserting new speeder. Not sure if there is a way to program in this sort of "tool change".

Upon a little more research, my thinking was obviously wrong. Calling an M6 only physically changes the tool, it does not "activate" a tool in the table. The later H-code is what activates the tool length offset for the given tool. So for my case, simply having the post omit the M6 call is enough.

Remember if you need a D code as well.

Also, things like tool runtime tracking the control might (or might not) depend on something different - only matters if you use that.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you need, I don't believe you need to worry about an actual "change"

Let's say your needs are:
T1 = 1/2" EM
T2 = Speeder
T3 = Spot drill

Then put in T1 and T3, but leave T2 empty.
You first use the 1/2" EM as needed.
When done, write the toolchange as:
G00 G49 G53 Y0 Z0
T2 M06
M00

Now manually insert the speeder, hook it up and hit the green
When done, just write this:

G00 G43 H02 D02
yadda
yadda
yadda
G00 G49 G53 Y0 Z0
M00

Now manually remove the speeder and hit the green with the next block being
T3 M06
Yadda
Yadda
Yadda

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you need, I don't believe you need to worry about an actual "change"

Let's say your needs are:
T1 = 1/2" EM
T2 = Speeder
T3 = Spot drill

Then put in T1 and T3, but leave T2 empty.
You first use the 1/2" EM as needed.
When done, write the toolchange as:
G00 G49 G53 Y0 Z0
T2 M06
M00

Now manually insert the speeder, hook it up and hit the green
When done, just write this:

G00 G43 H02 D02
yadda
yadda
yadda
G00 G49 G53 Y0 Z0
M00

Now manually remove the speeder and hit the green with the next block being
T3 M06
Yadda
Yadda
Yadda

Your code is confusing, are yadda commands not case sensitive?
:willy_nilly:

Back