What's new
What's new

Adding probing to a Haas VF?

swarf_rat

Titanium
I have been looking at around 2000 or late 90s VF-x machines, very rarely are they sold with probing. Talking to Haas service, the story seemed to be that Haas had no retrofit solution for a pre-LCD machine (around 2004), but that I should talk to Renishaw. Renishaw quoted me $7500 for the parts to do the work myself, or $11,500 :eek: for them to do it. A little hard to justify on a $25K machine.

Is there another alternative for probing?

I have been looking at around 2000 or late 90s VF-x machines, very rarely are they sold with probing. Talking to Haas service, the story seemed to be that Haas had no retrofit solution for a pre-LCD machine (around 2004), but that I should talk to Renishaw. Renishaw quoted me $7500 for the parts to do the work myself, or $11,500 :eek: for them to do it. A little hard to justify on a $25K machine.

Is there another alternative for probing?

Yup, expensive. I briefly looked into it and the hardware can be picked up pretty reasonably sometimes on ebay, but in addition to the hardware you have to have macros on your machine and that is several thousand too.

I gave up.

Yes, the options that are required come to about $5000 in addition, if they are not already enabled (and usually they aren't). So total reftrofit in the neighborhood of $16,500 if you have it done.

I added probing to my Deckel for about $1000, that being a used probe off of eBay. Control already capable as standard, and HH was happy to give me the PLC lines to make it work - for free.

Yes it can be done. I put in a MP700 probe, optical interface and a tool setter from ebay. Cost was about $1500 for all of it. I have all the same options as a newer machine has with a renishaw probe setup. This is on a 95 VF-2. It took a lot of time editing macros. I even wrote a quickcode file to take the place of what visual quick code does with all the macros. Best upgrade I could have done on this machine. PM me with your email and I will help you with what I can.

You can still add the Renishaw system to any machine, but it depends on how you want to interface with it and how it communicates with the machine. As stated already, the machine must have the usual options like macros, M19, rot/sca, etc.

With the right interface modules you can use the probes on any machine, but you will have to make the probing cycles manually.

If you have the right machine hardware and software combination, you can use the Haas Visual Quick Code Probing System (VQCPS).

If you want to use the latest Intuitive Probing system, then your machine will need LCD display along with the correct hardware and software.

Depending on what you have installed for hardware, you could need a new processor and/or a new I/O board also.

You can source a lot of the parts on E-Bay and your local HFO may or may not be able to help with installation. All depends on what you pick up and how your machine is configured.

As always, it all depends on how much money you want to throw at it.

Good luck!

Hello everybody..

Does anyone help me. i bought a renishaw TS27R + MI8 Probe Interface, i want install to my haas mini mill, does anybody tell me how connect the wires Renishaw to MI8 interface to Haas mini mill board.

Add 2 images.TS27R_small.jpgTS27R HAAS BOARD.jpg

Thanks in advace

This is a really old post (2012) that you've picked up on. How about some details about what you bought and what your putting it into? There are some probe folks on here but we'll need details. The install, if being done solo, does require some knowledge and ability w/ wiring in and connections on older systems. on the plus side, it is not overly complex. What probing software are you going to use?

I have a probe, toolsetter, and receiver all new in box being sent to me... could I contact you for some help when I get them?
Kind regards
Bob

Okay, so I found out I have macros enabled, rot/sc enabled. I have the Renishaw OMM probe, toolsetter, and reciever (do not need box). I am very capable on wiring. My mill is a 1997 VFE BUT is has brush motors.. kinda strange but is what it is. It has 256k memory, will that need to be bumped up, is there a work around (strip unneeded stuff from macros)?

Sounds like you are making progress. Probe (his member handle here) has his own tool package and will help you with the entire install and cal for a minor (very minor) fee. That is option 1. 256k is thin. But should work with his. For renishaw easyset you would need to reach out to DaOne who’s post noted about his work tuning the renni easyset package for his 95 vf for thin mem use. I used probes package and it was very simple to install, use and run.

I have a '93 VF3 wih about 80k of memory. If I wanted to just add a toolsetter (no spindle probe) would the programs fit? I'm trying to get HAAS to tell me if this machine ever came with macros (lost all params 6mo ago, so any software options went with), and if not what they charge to add it. I've seen toolsetters available on ebay for cheap enough I could justify the effort, but didn't consider the program size.

Also, can you call a macro program from DNC? for tool break detection, etc.

Yes it can be done. I put in a MP700 probe, optical interface and a tool setter from ebay. Cost was about $1500 for all of it. I have all the same options as a newer machine has with a renishaw probe setup. This is on a 95 VF-2. It took a lot of time editing macros. I even wrote a quickcode file to take the place of what visual quick code does with all the macros. Best upgrade I could have done on this machine. PM me with your email and I will help you with what I can.

Old thread here I know but I would like to do exactly this to a 1998 vf3. any help with the macros would be great any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks

You should be able to add both a Tool-Setter and Probe to your machine. I did on my 98 VF/4. And the cost was under $4K for the full package. You can run it from the User MCode relays. (should be 4 on your I/O board). Search out for posts by me on this forum. I outline in some detail the different kits from Renishaw the T and H version (if I recall). There is a Haas/non-
Haas and a large diff in $$. There is a need to buy both a specific probe & setter that allows the two to operate w/ each other.
Also; Reach out to Member 'PROBE' on this forum. PM him. He has a set of MACRO's (lightweight) that you may use. For a VERY small fee he'll help you get it all installed and running as well. In the end, My son wanted to play w/ Renishaw EASY-SET/INSPECTION plus 2.6 or 2.7 (dont recall). There are guides and MACROS out there you can find on installing this old controller MAcro set. Recall - you must have MACROS turned on, and Scaling rotation also. You can also call Renishaw in IL. free engineering support but on this OLD stuff, it's limited but they do try. Hope this helps.

Old thread here I know but I would like to do exactly this to a 1998 vf3. any help with the macros would be great any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
You should be able to add both a Tool-Setter and Probe to your machine. I did on my 98 VF/4. And the cost was under $4K for the full package. You can run it from the User MCode relays. (should be 4 on your I/O board). Search out for posts by me on this forum. I outline in some detail the different kits from Renishaw the T and H version (if I recall). There is a Haas/non-
Haas and a large diff in $$. There is a need to buy both a specific probe & setter that allows the two to operate w/ each other.
Also; Reach out to Member 'PROBE' on this forum. PM him. He has a set of MACRO's (lightweight) that you may use. For a VERY small fee he'll help you get it all installed and running as well. In the end, My son wanted to play w/ Renishaw EASY-SET/INSPECTION plus 2.6 or 2.7 (dont recall). There are guides and MACROS out there you can find on installing this old controller MAcro set. Recall - you must have MACROS turned on, and Scaling rotation also. You can also call Renishaw in IL. free engineering support but on this OLD stuff, it's limited but they do try. Hope this helps.

I have not heard back from member probe. Im all wired up and ready to go. Im in need of gcode for probing and tool setting using G31 then activate m21 or m24 relays with skip single. I have tried hard to do the research on my own but I can not find a code to match my needs. please help,

He's also often on 'that other CNC zoned site' hint hint. Yes, you will need to PM Probe. He's still around. Some items below:

a) the wiring diagram, the relay & M-code tech doc I just sent to TryHard. Could you two guys connect and get them sent via email to millerauto that way? About all we can post here is pics and I'm hammered tween two jobs. You two can probably work together on this project w/ my help along the way.

b) JW.. could you send the easyset programs I sent you as well? 2.6 and 2.8 were in the zip file. The 2.8 version is full of someone elses MACRO upgrages so it would run on a very old 96 w/ a swqueek of memory. (128K if I recall). Either way -both are AS-IS and AT-YOUR-OWN-RISK.

c) Probe has a set of macros for you to use Probe and toolsetter. They are from a FANUC install base though... not haas. While the toolsetter ran, the PROBE side did have issues on my end. It used/uses reserved macro var's by Haas OS. Discuss w/ Probe. in my opinion, the tool-setter is safe to use as-is. The Probe software, with my very limited old haas OS did work in general, but did not seem to always work right.... So you may want to review this as you do his installs and calibrations. but its been nearly 2 years now.

d.) You can also install and attempt to use the Renishaw easyset/inspection plus packages that include toolsetter. (tryhard can include that zip file).
- In the Reni manual, they have a checklist and ID every single program. Validate and review it. google and download H-200-6222-0A-A March 2002.
AND H-2000-6068-0C-a GUIDES to do this.
- I have not completed my setup and calibaration yet either- so I cannot be of help but am willing to partner up w/ ya'll when you get to that point if you use this software.

I did PM him and sent two messages. Any more and I feel like I'm stalking. Haha. I will try to contact try hard. it seems like he most likely can help. I'm lucky enough to have met a local private machine tech today who knows all the local people and is willing to help ne in person. However I'm on hold with him and my very nice Haas tech. Thank you for the response I was starting to feel completely alone again. I have done everything alone and for this last part I just need some help. And I'm not ashamed to ask. I have come to the conclusion that writing a macro program is way out of my league its amazing that probe is as smart as he is. I wish I could have talked with him. And again thank you.

Back