What's new
What's new

Adding Renishaw Spindle And Tool Probing - An Endorsement

Zahnrad Kopf

Diamond
I continue to receive PMs and emails from forum members about adding probing to a Haas machining center since I posted about doing it myself. In an effort to place a single point of reference, I decided to create this thread in hopes that it might help someone looking to do the same. Faced with two discouraging prospects after asking Haas about doing this, I decided to do it myself. I did enlist the assistance of another forum member who proved to be invaluable. More on that, in a bit...

After asking Haas, I was told two things -

A., It is not possible to install a probing package in my machine. Period. Do not pass go. Do not collet Two Hundred dollars.

B., If it were possible, it would cost $10,000.00+ ( ! ) to do so.

I carefully considered the information given me, and after some application of logic, reason, and research, concluded that both A and B were complete and utter bollocks. Even if "A" were true ( and it is not true ), "B" is ridiculous enough to make any reasonable person look to spend their money elsewhere. So, I did.

I did some cursory research, and learned that as long as one has the Macro option and the External Relay Output option, it is actually a fairly easy and simple thing to add both a spindle probe and a tool probe to a Haas. And even if the relays are not present, they can actually be installed simply enough. ( thankfully, I did not have to do this ) If one has those two options available, then it is as simple as purchasing the devices and wiring them in. One will not have the "benefit" of the Haas WIPS system, but to be brutally honest the alternatives are actually better, faster, and ( in one case ) MUCH more powerful.

I obtained a used MP10 spindle probe, a used MI-12 interface, a used OMM receiver, and a used TS27R tool probe. I also purchased new stylii for the probes, a small, DIN rail 24VDC power supply, and some wiring supplies. Total costs were less than $1,000.00 USD. Much less...

This is where I enlisted the assistance of forum member PROBE. His name is Stefan, and has many years of experience with installing, maintaining, and creating custom programming and installations for Renishaw probing systems. Stefan took the time and effort to explain exactly what was needed and how to wire everything together. He really made the process bone simple and was incredibly patient, enduring question after question from me. After some mild back and forth, I had the MI-12, OMM, and TS27R wired in to the machine in no time. A grand total of 8 wires later, it was lit and beeping. :) Basically, one uses the two option relays to run the probing system. One relay controls the MI-12 while using the spindle probe, and the other relay is used to switch over to the tool setter. I will post the wiring diagrams shortly ( have to dig them out ), but they are fairly common on the interwebs. They have even posted here, in the forum before, I believe. Stefan was nice enough to customize them for me and our machine, given my cranial density can suddenly increase without warning...

Now, one can easily install the standard probing macros in their Haas and use them full well, living happily ever after. However, Stefan has written his own versions of the macros and after seeing them there was no way I was going to be stuck using the stock offerings. I obtained his macros and installed them and have not looked back. They are excellent. Everything he has written is clear and self explanatory, but even when I found a question to ask of him, he always responded very quickly, professionally, and helpfully. And, he has managed to make the calibration process as pain free and simple as it can be. Why Haas does not do it the way he does is beyond me. Seriously. One really could not ask for more from anyone. Stefan is an absolute, genuine PLEASURE to work with.

If you have been told that you cannot install a probing system in your machine, or simply do not wish to be raped in effort to join the 90's, then I encourage you to PM member PROBE and ask for his assistance. You will NOT be disappointed.
icon14.png

15803436_605047009685265_1180669140822654976_n.jpg

15538420_1615314042109293_7920806699059904512_n.jpg

I did this on a 96 vf2. The haas macros have to be modified slightly.
@Zahnrad do probes routines wrap the standard haas ones?

I don't know if I just got fortunate, but my hfo sold me the probe package with macros, etc for my old machine with the understanding of no support.

I did this on a 96 vf2. The haas macros have to be modified slightly.
@Zahnrad do probes routines wrap the standard haas ones? I don't know if I just got fortunate, but my hfo sold me the probe package with macros, etc for my old machine with the understanding of no support.

I eventually did find someone there willing to sell a kit, but the price difference made the choice to go the route I did a very simple one. ( Less than $1,000.00 USD for all it, installed. )

What year and model machine did you do this on? Ours is a 98 vf0 with macros... it'd be great if we can do this too.

The one in the pics is a '96, but all that matters is that it has Macros and external relay outputs.
icon14.png

One thing I could never understand about adding a probe to an older Haas, you call Haas or the HFO and they act exactly like Zahnrad said. But if you where to go back in time, the same time when your machine was new, there was a probing package available for your machine. It even used the same version of software that you have in your machine. I'm glad to see that this can be done, I am going to look into this myself. Thanks for posting this.

That is what I found as well, it seemed the single parts added up pretty fast. Going wired would be some cheaper, but a much higher install and pain factor.

I still would like to know more about "Probe" routines.

Here is something built up to use the Haas routines. I laminated it and have it around.

Renishaw.docx
Renishaw.pdf

Why can't I attach a pdf over 19.5kb or docx anyway?

That is what I found as well, it seemed the single parts added up pretty fast. Going wired would be some cheaper, but a much higher install and pain factor.

That is what everyone wants people to believe. The fact of the matter is that the wiring is very simple and easy. I HATE wiring, and I was done in less than Three hours. Total.

I still would like to know more about "Probe" routines.

What do you want to know? I will help with what I can, but if it's overly in depth, you might simply ask him directly. He's easy to work with and very helpful.

Where did you find all of the parts for under $1000? Most of the stuff on eBay is $500 to $800 a component.

eBay, Craig's List, and MetrologyParts.com

If you look past the common, pedestrian listings, you can find some real bargains. Michael at Metrology Parts is also good to work with. Tell him what you want and what you are trying to do and he will help if he can.

I know this thread has gone a bit cold, but Probe just pointed me towards it, and I'm in a similar situation.

Question: are you using any Haas (Inspection Pro, Toolsetter) or other software with your setup? Renishaw and Haas are both pointing me towards using this software, and it's rather expensive.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

I know this thread has gone a bit cold, but Probe just pointed me towards it, and I'm in a similar situation.

Question: are you using any Haas (Inspection Pro, Toolsetter) or other software with your setup? Renishaw and Haas are both pointing me towards using this software, and it's rather expensive.

Definitely listen to what PROBE tells you. His advice and direction are gold and hard won of years of experience.

No, we are not using any of the Haas programs/macros. We are using PROBE's programs/macros. Exclusively. I do have the Haas branded Renishaw ones, but they are not only unnecessary, they are less capable and slower than the one that PROBE provides, so I have no use for them. Additionally, PROBE has condensed them all into fewer, AND SMALLER programs/macros than the Haas ones. :scratchchin:

I use PROBE's every single day, here. They are simple and easy to use. I could not be happier with the installation, or the support. He gets two thumbs up from me, and if I had three, he would get that one, too! :)

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...dinate-setting-part-measuring-program-259817/
I don't see any tool setter code, has he added that later?
Also, there are some M#? calls that would require prior setup, are those documented somewhere, or does one just need to contact him?
I use the renishaw routines, and they are a bit heavy for an old machine, and somewhat slow.

You nail the issue. They are heavy and slow for older machines.

Yes, PROBE's routines have tool setting. They also have all the other normal tool stuff, like wear and breakage detection. I use it all the time and love it. When one has 15 tools of decreasing size running one after another, it is very nice to have it run a very simple command before the tool change to see if the tool is still intact so that the following tools do not have any unexpected collisions with material that is not supposed to be there. I have admittedly not had the time to configure my post processor to do this for me, yet. So for now, I simply add the single line with a few words manually.

PROBE sends the instructions on set up and configuration with the programs/macros. It is ridiculously simple. I consider myself intelligent, but by no means sharper than any other knife in the drawer, and I understood it immediately. I was up and running in minutes. Seriously. He has done a really nice job.

EDIT - I should point out, as well, that this is not limited to Haas machines. PROBE's work is perfectly suitable for ANY machine. I simply chose it for our Haas.

Definitely listen to what PROBE tells you. His advice and direction are gold and hard won of years of experience.

No, we are not using any of the Haas programs/macros. We are using PROBE's programs/macros. Exclusively. I do have the Haas branded Renishaw ones, but they are not only unnecessary, they are less capable and slower than the one that PROBE provides, so I have no use for them. Additionally, PROBE has condensed them all into fewer, AND SMALLER programs/macros than the Haas ones. :scratchchin:

I use PROBE's every single day, here. They are simple and easy to use. I could not be happier with the installation, or the support. He gets two thumbs up from me, and if I had three, he would get that one, too! :)

I think my confusion is that they're calling it 'software' which isn't how I think of a package of macros. In my mind, I'm thinking I need to install this software on a PC and interface it with the machine temporarily to set up the probe system. But I just need the macros on the controller to call up for different probing cycles.

As an aside: from what I've seen Probe's program, it was written for Fanuc controllers and is in metric. I'm going to download it and start checking it out, but I'm guessing you're running it in a Haas, in inch? Was it easy to get set up for your purposes?

I think my confusion is that they're calling it 'software' which isn't how I think of a package of macros. In my mind, I'm thinking I need to install this software on a PC and interface it with the machine temporarily to set up the probe system. But I just need the macros on the controller to call up for different probing cycles.

As an aside: from what I've seen Probe's program, it was written for Fanuc controllers and is in metric. I'm going to download it and start checking it out, but I'm guessing you're running it in a Haas, in inch? Was it easy to get set up for your purposes?

I cannot speak to what you do or do not need for your shop.

I can say that I stopped listening to the Haas sales people a very, very long time ago. They also said it was not possible to install a work probe or a tool setter on this machine. :scratchchin: Go figure.

You need the macros, and you need the hardware. I really can not make that any more clear. It is that simple.

My understanding is that PROBE originally started installing systems on Fanuc machines years ago, and later added Haas machines to his repertoire. Frankly, I have not gone too deeply into the "how" and "why" of what he provided us. It works. That is all I care to know at this time. In another lifetime I would have been all over the inner workings and "how". I'm too effin busy to care anymore.

What he provides is simple, easy to install, takes very little time, effort, or knowledge, and is easier, faster, and better than the typical factory supplied alternatives.

Bottom line - If you need probing and tool setting on a machine and have either been told you cannot have it, or think the option is too expensive, contact PROBE. He can most likely help you.

Good luck. Tell him I say "hello" and "thank you".

I cannot speak to what you do or do not need for your shop.

I can say that I stopped listening to the Haas sales people a very, very long time ago. They also said it was not possible to install a work probe or a tool setter on this machine. :scratchchin: Go figure.

You need the macros, and you need the hardware. I really can not make that any more clear. It is that simple.

My understanding is that PROBE originally started installing systems on Fanuc machines years ago, and later added Haas machines to his repertoire. Frankly, I have not gone too deeply into the "how" and "why" of what he provided us. It works. That is all I care to know at this time. In another lifetime I would have been all over the inner workings and "how". I'm too effin busy to care anymore.

What he provides is simple, easy to install, takes very little time, effort, or knowledge, and is easier, faster, and better than the typical factory supplied alternatives.

Bottom line - If you need probing and tool setting on a machine and have either been told you cannot have it, or think the option is too expensive, contact PROBE. He can most likely help you.

Good luck. Tell him I say "hello" and "thank you".

Got it man - Thanks for your help!

I have a 05 VF2.
After reading thru this thread and a few others, I took the plunge and bought a OMP60M for around $1500 that is like new, and a new OMI-2. I could not find Any used OMI modules, so I went with a new one.
I spent some time on the Digikey website digging thru the Molex connectors, and found the two I needed. One 3 pin plug for 110Vac off the power distribution board and a 4 pin socket for the SKIP Signal on the I/O board. They arrived today along with an Omron power supply for the 24Vdc.
The plug, socket and associated pins were exact match and work perfect.
I can post up the p/n's if anyone is interested.
I re-aligned the probe to the stylus and configured the probe for the features I want (Spin On/Timer Off) and should have the calibration cycles completed tomorrow, if my ring master arrives.
Eddie

Hello everyone.. Finally bough OMP40 Renishaw, OMM Renishaw, MI12 Renishaw, and TR27R, i want install on Haas Mini Mill 2005 Year. I was readind different post here, looking for installations manual, and tips. In some manuals say, use M22 and M23 on I/O Board Relays, on my I/O is not installed M22 and M23, i used free M21 and M24 relays, im adding some images with a diagram what i used to wire my mill, i want know if you can help me, if my wiring diagram is ok, if i need modify the macros because the different M22 and M23. I really appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance
Felipe

Attachments

• IMG_3024.jpg
    IMG_3024.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,733
  • IMG_3025.jpg
    IMG_3025.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 651
  • IMG_3026.jpg
    IMG_3026.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 558
  • IMG_3027.jpg
    IMG_3027.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 712
Last edited:
Help with macros

I continue to receive PMs and emails from forum members about adding probing to a Haas machining center since I posted about doing it myself. In an effort to place a single point of reference, I decided to create this thread in hopes that it might help someone looking to do the same. Faced with two discouraging prospects after asking Haas about doing this, I decided to do it myself. I did enlist the assistance of another forum member who proved to be invaluable. More on that, in a bit...

After asking Haas, I was told two things -

A., It is not possible to install a probing package in my machine. Period. Do not pass go. Do not collet Two Hundred dollars.

B., If it were possible, it would cost $10,000.00+ ( ! ) to do so.

I carefully considered the information given me, and after some application of logic, reason, and research, concluded that both A and B were complete and utter bollocks. Even if "A" were true ( and it is not true ), "B" is ridiculous enough to make any reasonable person look to spend their money elsewhere. So, I did.

I did some cursory research, and learned that as long as one has the Macro option and the External Relay Output option, it is actually a fairly easy and simple thing to add both a spindle probe and a tool probe to a Haas. And even if the relays are not present, they can actually be installed simply enough. ( thankfully, I did not have to do this ) If one has those two options available, then it is as simple as purchasing the devices and wiring them in. One will not have the "benefit" of the Haas WIPS system, but to be brutally honest the alternatives are actually better, faster, and ( in one case ) MUCH more powerful.

I obtained a used MP10 spindle probe, a used MI-12 interface, a used OMM receiver, and a used TS27R tool probe. I also purchased new stylii for the probes, a small, DIN rail 24VDC power supply, and some wiring supplies. Total costs were less than $1,000.00 USD. Much less...

This is where I enlisted the assistance of forum member PROBE. His name is Stefan, and has many years of experience with installing, maintaining, and creating custom programming and installations for Renishaw probing systems. Stefan took the time and effort to explain exactly what was needed and how to wire everything together. He really made the process bone simple and was incredibly patient, enduring question after question from me. After some mild back and forth, I had the MI-12, OMM, and TS27R wired in to the machine in no time. A grand total of 8 wires later, it was lit and beeping. :) Basically, one uses the two option relays to run the probing system. One relay controls the MI-12 while using the spindle probe, and the other relay is used to switch over to the tool setter. I will post the wiring diagrams shortly ( have to dig them out ), but they are fairly common on the interwebs. They have even posted here, in the forum before, I believe. Stefan was nice enough to customize them for me and our machine, given my cranial density can suddenly increase without warning...

Now, one can easily install the standard probing macros in their Haas and use them full well, living happily ever after. However, Stefan has written his own versions of the macros and after seeing them there was no way I was going to be stuck using the stock offerings. I obtained his macros and installed them and have not looked back. They are excellent. Everything he has written is clear and self explanatory, but even when I found a question to ask of him, he always responded very quickly, professionally, and helpfully. And, he has managed to make the calibration process as pain free and simple as it can be. Why Haas does not do it the way he does is beyond me. Seriously. One really could not ask for more from anyone. Stefan is an absolute, genuine PLEASURE to work with.

If you have been told that you cannot install a probing system in your machine, or simply do not wish to be raped in effort to join the 90's, then I encourage you to PM member PROBE and ask for his assistance. You will NOT be disappointed.
icon14.png

15803436_605047009685265_1180669140822654976_n.jpg

15538420_1615314042109293_7920806699059904512_n.jpg

Hello,

I`m the newbie here, I have a TM2 (2006) with tool touch off probe 40-2, and in need of macros for tool touch of and part touch of, previous owner had it installed aftermarket, could you help me connect with Stefan, please.

Regards

Back