Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Alarm 103 X servo error too large

91' model VF-1

Loaded a part and in mid feed cycle x axis takes off in jittery rapid moves before my guy shuts her down.

Cycle power and we get this 103 alarm when trying to power up restart with the machine moving in X.

X axis cable is 6 months old.

Moved X cabling/ wires to Y axis card, still have X axis 103 alarm. X card deemed good.

Pulled caps off the brushed motor and cleaned all 4 ports of carbon. Still have X 103 alarm.

Not sure how to diagnose the encoder so if anyone could help there that would be great.

I did notice when I reset the alarm (machine now in handle mode) and grab the ballscrew and turn it to move the table away from the limit switch area (table moving right) the table will continue on it's own power to move right. This I found odd as it seems the motor is still trying to run without any control input.

Could it be the motor has a short? Possibly more carbon in the motor causing a short?

4 hrs in and i'm still scratching my head....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Purely a hunch - I suspect the encoder. Check the coupling between it and motor, any loose hardware.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It could be as simple as a stuck limit switch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sagespecialized View Post

I did notice when I reset the alarm (machine now in handle mode) and grab the ballscrew and turn it to move the table away from the limit switch area (table moving right) the table will continue on it's own power to move right. This I found odd as it seems the motor is still trying to run without any control input.
    I think I understand, but please explain, or expand, what your are doing in the above paragraph a little better.

Approximately how long were the motor brushes when you took them out to clean?

I would not focus on the encoder yet, I would suspect you would be getting a different alarm if it were the encoder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well it turns out to be the encoder.

We pulled the encoder off the x axis motor and put it on the z motor since it is easier to access then the y motor.

Upon power up restart command the z started moving up and down erratically like the x was.

haastec, initially when I would command power up restart the x would move left like it was going to home position but it would move real jerky then alarm out with 103 alarm. When I would reset the alarm, the machine defaults to handle mode, if I reached in and turned the x ballscrew by hand to move the table right or away from the limit switch the motor would engage and start to move the table right. I thought this was odd.

The brushes were cleaned out the same time we put in the new x cable so about 6 months ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sagespecialized View Post
    Well it turns out to be the encoder.
    See, what the heck do I know!!

Glad you got it figured out and thanks for the update.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Got my one for the year!
    True story, I was on the "ride along" tool carriage of a 144" lathe when the Z axis encoder failed, a three second bronco ride that I thought was the full eight. Without the hand rail the low pressure turbine rotor I was working would have been like riding a giant cheese grater. Fortunately it was during a rapid move with the tool retracted, could have been ugly. You can understand I have a thing for encoders.