What's new
What's new

Alarm 830, Z axis serial comm fault.

T Bigelow

Plastic
I'm working with a 5 month old vf3ss with apc, in the past few weeks we have had an 830 alarm happen twice with no rhyme or reason.

The first time it happened about 3min into Haas's spindle warm up program, when it reached the next line commanding a spindle speed increase a 830 alarm was triggered. According to the control any alarm 828-839 is listed as "axis serial communication fault", Contacting our local HFO they informed us it was for the z axis, the z axis does not move at all during that program. Since the machine is under warranty, they sent a tech down to check it out. The initial assumption was a faulty mocon board, however we were unable to repeat the problem for the tech. After five hours of phone calls, tests, and checking settings/ parameters no problem was found.

About the same time this happened I noticed the spindle was getting burning hot during warm ups. This too was an intermittent problem in the beginning, but is now basically an ever day occurrence. The warm up is done first thing every morning for the last 2 1/2 months and until about 3 weeks ago the spindle wouldn't even get warm. I'm now getting an average temp reading of 125 degrees f every morning. While Haas classifies overheating as over 150 degrees f, it seems strange to me that spindle is heating up only first thing in the morning and only during the first warm up cycle. One possible reason for only heating up in the morn is the spindle warm up reaches 12k rpm while our current production program only reaches 2600 rpm for a sustained length of time.

Today while the machine was sitting idle w/ the door open while I stepped away the 830 alarm occurred again with no rhyme or reason. In addition to this the z axis lost track of its location, Z was -.087 away from where it should have been. Unfortunately I did not realize this till after I ran my next program, which resulted in a few broken tools.

The two issues are probably unrelated, however seeing as they started approximately the same time I figured mentioning them both couldn't hurt. Has anyone ever run into the 830 alarm before, if so what did it turn out to be? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

The Z axis alarm along with loss of motion certainly sounds like an encoder cable or encoder itself. I would let the machine sit idle while wiggling the hell out of that cable and see if you can repeat the alarm. Also, you may want to open the encoder cap on the Z servo motor and see if something is loose as well as the plug at the control for it.

Regarding the spindle, I think it is pretty safe to say you have a problem. You need to get that warrantied before you run out of warranty. That spindle should be able to handle 12k all day long without getting super hot. I would not care that you are only running 2600, there is something wrong with the spindle.

Change the cables on the cable panel . Change z axis connector with x axis. Then move x axis ,or make a very small move program with z and x . If the alarm changes to x axis ,your motor encoder is bad . If it doesn't change the cable or drive is bad. Then you can change the 2 drives to make that final determination.

Hello, excuse my English because I'm using a translator. I have a VM3 and would like to know if it is possible and how to do to change the port of the reader Z to an auxiliary port A or B. This to try to remove error 830. Well I have already tested cable and reader and this is ok. Thank you

Fabio, check your cable wiring diagram. On my early VF-1 the A and B axis have the home and brake in the cable. The XYZ homes are separate and have no brake.
You should be able to swap any XYZ cables (along with the parameters) to check the cable.

We have a CNC lathe HAAS ST30Y.
I got from time to time next message:
Alarm 830, Z axis serial comm fault.
How I can find the real error?

Back