Any experience with a new CL-1 chucker lathe?
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Any experience with a new CL-1 chucker lathe?

Hello,
    We are wanting a new lathe, and this CL-1 chucker seems perfect for us. Does anyone have experience with one?
    We currently run an older Hardinge HC manual chucker, but we would like to go with something new and CNC. We have 3 Haas Mini mills in the shop, and also a Citizen B-12 swiss machine.

We make small gun part runs of about 50-200, and the sub spindles on the CL-1 will save huge amounts of time for us.

Any experience or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JFI View Post
    and the sub spindles on the CL-1 will save huge amounts of time for us.
    Hmmm... I don't believe the CL-1 has a subspindle ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The pictures of it are under the "build and price" tab. Here is their description of it.

"Live Tooling with C axis; dual ER-11 spindles, 6000-rpm max. (peak torque at 3000 rpm), 200 W brushless motor, ER-11 collets accepted 1/16” – ¼” (1 mm – 6.5 mm) tools"

It also indexes the main spindle, and allows for interpolated cutting while the spindle is rotating.

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is not a subspindle Sir!
    That is live tooling!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry, I am still learning this stuff..

Either way, I was hoping someone here has used one of these lathes.

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have seen some of the older Haas 5c chucker lathes and they seem like nice machines ,, I have a new ST15 with a bar feeder and it runs great ,,, its not a power house but I only want it for small bar feeder parts so it does a good job ..

FYI
    I have seen a lot of the Haas chucker machiones on the used market at vary good prices,, I get a feeling a lot of guys buy them and think there a big machine in a little box and turn around and sell them ,,

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just bought a used one. Neat, but pretty light. Have not run it yet and closed for 3 weeks. Dont count on the live tools for much. Small drills and taps. Light milling

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the reply.

It will mostly be used for making small firing pins. Rarely over 3/8" diameter O1 steel. The live tooling will be for small cross holes, flats and slots. We are usually pretty gentle with light cuts here.

We have had really good luck with the 3 MiniMills in the shop. We are hoping this new machine will be similar. I was hoping to hear from people who have run them for a while to get a feel for the reliability and ease of use.

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Haas shares a lot of parts between there machine models ,, it well be the Same control if you have the 2017 or newer mini mills with the nex-gen control ,,, there lathe control software is just as user friendly as there mills if not more so ,,,, most lathe parts can be made with canned cycles.

As for reliability ..
    There not Okuma or mori Reliable , but there also not at there price point. I run Haas machines every day and have had a handfull of LED lights changed and one auger motor go out in over 5 years. and all of them were covered under warranty.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello, long time lurker and first time posting here.

We bought a CL-1 about 6 months ago and love it. We got ours with the live tooling option as well as the bar feed(pusher), parts catcher and the auto door.

Many of our small parts required secondary milling operations for crossholes & such and these were like 30-40 second operations in an indexer. Being forever short on manpower these secondary opps were killing us.

I was leary at first thinking it was just a toy. It's not the most rigid machine but for the right parts it's great. Easy and quick to setup. Incredibly accurate to the point that it's almost boring rarely having to make offsets. Gang style holders for drills and boring bars help save a bit on cycle times too. Just a fun machine to operate.

The simplicity of this machine is what drew me to it. Yes there's plenty of work it won't do but for me there's an awful lot that it will do. Oh and it doesn't leak a drop of coolant on the floor which is WAY more than I can say about our other Haas machines...

If you like PM me and I'll send you a link to some videos of our machine making parts.