What's new
What's new

Anyone have a spare Old-Style 15/20HP Spindle Drive unit to sell?

countryguy

Hot Rolled
And yet again.... 98 VF/4 is down. The Spindle drive made a lot of popping or clicking, stunk up the garage big-time (it's a hobby/start-up w/ my Son in the home garage)
It's the white paint style 15/20HP vector drive Assy.

It was repaired in July by WIS, so it's going back for warranty R&R....but just as we were putting on the work holding to do our first cuts in his college project.

Been a long road keeping this thing up for 2 years now but wondered- ANYONE have an old spare they are willing to sell? Even if unknown/untested/ even bad - I'll send it out and get it repaired just to have a spare. This just sucks.

you can give rich @ northern machine tool a ring he seems to have a good stash of used parts for Haas' might be able to help you out good dude to deal with or keep on record for down the road.

Edited my post,it got deleted. Subscribe to eBay Haas vector drive -repair if one comes up you'll have very little time to buy if it's a good deal.

You normally dont see these come up for sale very often, as Haas charges a ridiculous fee if you don't exchange 1 for 1.

I will drop a second plug for Rich @ northern machine tool services.
Great guy to deal with. Always helpful. And, he usually has a drive on the shelf he will send you next-day.
Then you just send yours back. It is the absolute quickest way to get back up running after a spindle drive failure.
And, much cheaper than going through your HFO!

All three of my haas's have Rich's drives in them! LOL

Also, if you go through haas, you will get a newer style drive. Which generally is not a good thing. The older drives are more robust.

Yep.. Wish I'd heard of them before. they are much closer to me. I have a call into them! Got em! Thanks.

Who needs 3+2 and your big fancy machine when you can go back to old(er) school ... Kid went at it on our first Mill which is like our first born. I'll give him credit on finding another way. flip, zero, flip zero, flip zero... lol. :cheers:
unnamed.jpg

I'd spend a bit of time trying to understand if there is a root cause to the failure, whether mesrepaired drive, or failed motor, or bad resistor, maybe this repair guy would have some ideas.

1 thing many people dont know or realize, is the vector spindle driver creates the power for the axis drivers. I have had X axis cables go bad and smoke the vector drive. it's a common problem. so if it were me is pull the front Y axis cover and take a peek for both chip issues ( they can cut the X axis cable) or cracked insulation on the X axis cable. you can also check your 3 X axis wires to ground to see if their is any short to ground. if you want to check for any shorts between the 3 legs, unscrew the connector at the motor end, and remove the wires off of the driver . then check for continuity between the 3 legs.

Back