What's new
What's new

Apologies in advance: TM-2P as a first CNC machine??

TheOldCar

Stainless
I make crap with my manual machines. During the past 4 years, 60% of what I made was emergency repairs for my employer. 20% was customs/improvements/new attachments for my employer. The remaining 20% has been my art crap.

I have always avoided the idea of a CNC machine in the past. Now I find myself wishing I could run a CNC machine for some of the "larger" simple shapes I need, while I'm busy on one of the lathes.

And there are so many times that the art projects turn into prototypes for a doohickey that someone wants.

I have narrowed down to the TM-2P. Maybe I'm a fool...

I honestly don't expect it to make me $$$ anytime soon. I do, however, have hopes that I will expand my ability to machine.

Is this smaller HAAS something that could handle small production runs? SURELY it is more rigid than my Bridgeports. I also have an old Shizuoka CAT50 manual vertical mill which removes metal far quicker than the BP's... Would the small HAAS I'm considering be at least as rigid as the old Shizuoka?

I understand the vulnerability of this post. Fire away with your harsh advice! :fight: :reading: :dunce:

EDIT: I'm also wanting to get it with the 10K RPM spindle.

I did start with a TM 2P as a first machine to prove the concept of a product we make.
It did production runs for us for two years without a hiccup. If you're not looking for thousands of parts I'd consider it.
I've since sold the TM 2P and moved on to a VF4 SS. That's just my preference.

I did start with a TM 2P as a first machine to prove the concept of a product we make.
It did production runs for us for two years without a hiccup. If you're not looking for thousands of parts I'd consider it.
I've since sold the TM 2P and moved on to a VF4 SS. That's just my preference.

Thanks for that. One thing I like about this model is it will fit my ship’s power: I only have 100 amps of single phase, plus my RPC. I can even run the TM-2P on single phase (and not worry about my RPC causing computer issues?).

Is there any option besides the 10K spindle you would recommend?

Only the 6k spindle can run on single phase. Also the the 10k spindle even though twice the HP only puts out half the torque (17ft/lbs) vs the 6k (33ft/lbs). We have Superminis with the 10k and while great for little widgets they will stop a shell mill dead in it's tracks in steel and the load meter will be pegged in aluminum.

Only the 6k spindle can run on single phase. Also the the 10k spindle even though twice the HP only puts out half the torque (17ft/lbs) vs the 6k (33ft/lbs). We have Superminis with the 10k and while great for little widgets they will stop a shell mill dead in it's tracks in steel and the load meter will be pegged in aluminum.

Wow, good to know!
With it running a job on single phase, and then me running a lathe on the little 10hp RPC at the same time would probably trip my 50A breaker (they both would come from the same 50A source).

Probably better to get the Haas 3 phase, right?

The machines that can be run on single phase can just as easily be wired for 3 phase. It's not a matter of ordering it one way or the other.

Thanks for the help.
More embarrassing questions: Is a 50 amp line of my 100 amp total going to be able to run the Haas AND a manual 7.5 HP (clutch start) lathe at the same time?

Haas machines don't use half the power they call for and unless running the 7.5 balls out you're not using all that much there either.

But I'm not an electrician...just had mine run some checks when I had to run the entire shop off a generator.

Also had someone screw up an I was running my VF-1 off a 20 amp breaker for years before it was noticed...ran that machine hard and never tripped the breaker....just saying

My advice is to make your decision based on what an electrician says...preferably after he comes out and checked what your drawing on youre 7.5 and maybe find a Haas TM to verify its power draw.

Haas you spoke of it's rigidity. they are eh...but CNC is great as you can take multiple fast cuts for an accurate great looking part and as you mentioned...you can do that on the Haas and NOT Be There, but be elsewhere making money on another machine. Thats how I bought and paid for my CNC'c...to the point I spent all my time running and setting up CNC's for me then setting up for others to run. Then getting more and hiring people to setup and run then...

My first cnc was a TM2P. I didn't get the chip auger just to save a few bucks. Now I wish I would have gotten it. Cleaning these suck, especially if you want to keep your chips separated for whatever reason.
joker

Haas machines don't use half the power they call for and unless running the 7.5 balls out you're not using all that much there either.

But I'm not an electrician...just had mine run some checks when I had to run the entire shop off a generator.

Also had someone screw up an I was running my VF-1 off a 20 amp breaker for years before it was noticed...ran that machine hard and never tripped the breaker....just saying

My advice is to make your decision based on what an electrician says...preferably after he comes out and checked what your drawing on youre 7.5 and maybe find a Haas TM to verify its power draw.

Haas you spoke of it's rigidity. they are eh...but CNC is great as you can take multiple fast cuts for an accurate great looking part and as you mentioned...you can do that on the Haas and NOT Be There, but be elsewhere making money on another machine. Thats how I bought and paid for my CNC'c...to the point I spent all my time running and setting up CNC's for me then setting up for others to run. Then getting more and hiring people to setup and run then...

COMPARED TO a dinky Bridgeport, the small Haas will be noticeably more ridged, right?

I have also read posts here saying that the MiniMills are more rigid than the TM2? My small brain assumed the TM-2P would be more rigid ‘cuz it is heavier? Rated to hold much more weight on the table, also.

THANKS again for all of these answers everyone! :fight:

I measured the actual amps pulled while running a part on my Haas OL-1, the machine has a 20amp breaker but the actual peaked at 2.35amps, granted that is only a piddly little 1hp spindle motor and two axis servos that are probably more like 400watts but it does point to the breaker being somewhat oversized. I'd hate to think how hard I'd have to push it to get close to tripping the breaker.

Our shop bought one in 2013, it's great for prototypes and one offs as well as short run production!

These are the options I would not do without;

20 Pocket Automatic Tool Changer Upgrade
Hi-Flow Coolant Pump Upgrade, 3/4 HP
Chip Auger
Remote Jog Handle
Work Light
Rigid Tap
Visual Quick Code
Wireless Intuitive Probing System, Renishaw
Programmable Coolant Nozzle
8 Spare M Functions
User-Definable Macros
High Speed Machining

Some of these might be bundled with other options?

I have a four jaw chuck(Jaws at 45°), Kurt vise and the Fourth axis on the machine 99% of the time.
Only need to take the chuck and vise off for doing larger parts.
I do some of the parts I normally would do on the lathe in the mill now!

One of the mods I did to the machine, put a Y valve in the coolant pump line and a slinky garden hose and sprayer for washdown, it makes cleanup a lot easier!
Everything was sourced from McMaster-Carr.......

Kevin

Is the basic coolant system total junk? It will be my first time consistently using coolant!

Also… just to ease my mind:

Surely this little CNC, though somewhat weak in the CNC world, is more rigid than my knee mills?

Is the basic coolant system total junk? It will be my first time consistently using coolant!

Also… just to ease my mind:

Surely this little CNC, though somewhat weak in the CNC world, is more rigid than my knee mills?

I don’t think the standard coolant is junk, you could probably update later if your trying to stay within a budget?

Although, I wish the air blast was available when I ordered ours!

As far as rigidity, no comparison as the previous poster said!

Kevin

I don’t think the standard coolant is junk, you could probably update later if your trying to stay within a budget?

Although, I wish the air blast was available when I ordered ours!

As far as rigidity, no comparison as the previous poster said!

Kevin

Thanks for that, encouraging!

I know absolute ZERO about programming or coding. Just to make sure: I don’t have to buy separate software to run this thing, right?
Meaning, Haas supplies it with the software it needs?

Back