Apologies in advance: TM-2P as a first CNC machine?? - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

so its your first machine and not really looking to turn a large profit with it, just learn, maybe grow? am i reading that correct?

first question, whats your OVERALL budget for this? machine, rigging, tooling, vices, cam package (MUST), new coffe cup.

if your out to learn but wanna skip the hobby step, personally a tm is a great choice, but I see no need for new or much bells and whistles. your coming from a bridgeport, anything is better almost always.

grab a cheap tm-1, with or without an enclosure, try and find one under $10,000, preferably 5 grand. it wont lose anymore value unless you trash it (or possible if its coldfire 1 moncon, thats another topic, pay less for those! (2007 or older)
    tool changer is a BIG plus, but still not an absoutle nessesity onless your gonna start small runs with plenty tool changes. cheaper the machine the better.
    this ill give toy plenty of leftover for some good tool holders, good workholding, fusion360 cad/cam and pay for material and mistakes.
    learn on it, have fun, low stress. ive owned 2 in the past and am looking at another just becouse its cheap. there great to learn and make parts on. by no means a beast but who cares. hsm tool paths and a 3/8 endmill get alot of work done!

in a year or 10, sell it for the same price as you bought it and move into a machine tha better suits the direction your machining has gone. now youll have skills, tooling, workholding already and can focus $$ on th machine. heck, maybe a old tm is all youl ever need.

my first one was a open style tm-1 with a 10atc and little coolant pump, tosses a plywood enclosure around it and ran it for 4 years (without a drip!) hourses for courses man, but it made me money, the only reason it was replace was a too good to pass up university lab vf-2 for cheap.

Have fun and dont sweat the big stuff! its to easy to let the price grow and grow and sell yourself on things you "may need later" with grand dreams. then never afford to even start out becouse its gonna be $70,000 to tool up.

2. Likes TheOldCar, mhajicek, TDFrier liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can one even get a TM2P these days ? (or TM1P, TM0P) I thought Haas was producing only larger machines for now due to the chip shortage issue. Yea or nea ?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    Can one even get a TM2P these days ? (or TM1P, TM0P) I thought Haas was producing only larger machines for now due to the chip shortage issue. Yea or nea ?
    I've heard that as well. I was told my machine was only delayed a couple months since I got it with bells and whistles; if I'd gotten it base I'd still be waiting.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can the chip auger option be user added to TM/P machines in the future, without too much fanfare ?

6. Likes TheOldCar liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can the chip auger option be user added to TM/P machines in the future, without too much fanfare ?
    Yes, take the cover off the hole, install motor/auger/chip shoot and plug the motor in. Pretty painless.

8. Likes Milacron, TheOldCar liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AJ H View Post
    Yes, take the cover off the hole, install motor/auger/chip shoot and plug the motor in. Pretty painless.
    Cool. I wonder if it cost more bought after the sale versus with the machine purchase ? (other than extra shipping of course) The "accessory" versus "part" aspect.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am sure wondering the same. The local dealer is working on finding a time to connect and discuss the machines. I took that to mean: 1) too busy, 2) none in stock, or 3) the models I’m interested in are small fry.

Do any of you know if a TM-2P comes with full way covers? Online doesn’t show either way.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It really sounds like you are trying to talk yourself out of this machine. You are reading into things too far...relax, go to it!

12. Likes TheOldCar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldCar View Post
    Do any of you know if a TM-2P comes with full way covers? Online doesn’t show either way.
    The local high school's 2007 TM-1 does not have way covers. The tail of the Z ballscrew is exposed at high Z values and the Y rails are open behind the saddle. The machine is not enclosed like the current offerings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rklopp View Post
    The local high school's 2007 TM-1 does not have way covers. The tail of the Z ballscrew is exposed at high Z values and the Y rails are open behind the saddle. The machine is not enclosed like the current offerings.
    We have one built in 2013, it has full way covers, IIRC it was a standard feature by then?

Kevin

15. Likes TheOldCar liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think you should buy an Integrex.

17. Likes TheOldCar liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldCar View Post
    I took that to mean: 1) too busy, 2) none in stock, or 3) the models I’m interested in are small fry.
    All of the above. They're late on deliveries, prioritizing higher priced models, and just announced a price hike.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mhajicek View Post
    All of the above. They're late on deliveries, prioritizing higher priced models, and just announced a price hike.
    I got the price hike email & reached out to the Utah rep today! Haven’t heard back!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bummer time!

Last night I was scrutinizing the options for the TM models, since I still haven’t been able to get sales to answer. As I looked at the TM-2P specs, I suddenly couldn’t find machine weight anywhere. It showed just days ago…this is weird. THEN I noticed the max weight rating for the table was 200 lbs!. Woah, must be a website glitch.

This morning, suddenly the TM-2P specs showed 350 lbs as max table weight. I tried sales again and no luck, so I called the main office (who originally transfers me to sales) and got a helpful tech engineer to answer my questions.

He said there are no more TM-0, TM-1, TM-2 or TM-3 mills available. He said that orders for those mills had to be placed no later than October 1st.
    He then explained that the TM-3 is discontinued, and that the other models are going to be revamped, based on 2 individual castings instead of the single main casting they “were” made on.

This was unexpected!!!

He recommended I look at a VF2. Sadly that one is out of my budget. I’m getting some extra service to my shop but it will only be 200 amp total single phase. Getting a VF2 would mean I need a dedicated line feeding a much bigger phase converter. Crap, the VF2 shows 30hp!

Not the best news today.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe I spoke too soon...

The salesman just called me back, and after hours! Very helpful. He gave me a glimmer of hope and said he will make sure on the TM-2 weight limit change. He also gave me hope that I still might be able to order one of the TM lineup. Hopeful!

22. Likes memphisjed liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

TM-2 is indeed only rated for 350 lbs max table load. And there are nine of the previous generation available. I’m STILL waiting to know if they can sell a TM-1P as shown on the Haas website.

Getting antsy, especially due to the price increase warning.

Haas sends constant “act now” emails, but my assigned distributor is very preoccupied.

I am almost tempted to look into a used VF1???

Buying a CNC used really scares me. And I believe the consensus here is that machine hours cannot be trusted, since they are often/easily reset?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is a set of machine hours easily reset from the main screen menus. The true hrs are locked in the parameters and afaik are not resettable.

25. Likes TheOldCar liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Booze Daily View Post
    There is a set of machine hours easily reset from the main screen menus. The true hrs are locked in the parameters and afaik are not resettable.
    I hope that is true! I have heard that software updates from the factory rep resets the hours (or the rep can, anyway)?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

New to this thread

Yes, it will run at full capacity on day one. Though the learning curve might be a little steep if you don't know G code. I bought one brand new as my first mill back in '08 and it's still running strong. BTW, they make these capable of running on single phase just so guys can put them in their residential garages. I couldn't afford a tool changer with it then and by the time I got one, I had changed tools manually 68,000 times. (there's a counter) Anyway, when I got mine they had a conversational feature that was pretty handy. I don't know if they still have that.

28. Likes TheOldCar liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Finally got news today that it is still possible to order an existing-design TM-1P.

I realize this question is a sudden derailment: Is it better to buy a used VF1 instead? I see a few (a 2007 & a 2011) in the 30K range. Seems like soooo much more machine, and I am planning on upgrading service to my shop so I think I could run a big enough RPC for it.
    Bad idea?