AT/ATX to 1998 Haas VF-OE Power Supply substitute.
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default AT/ATX to 1998 Haas VF-OE Power Supply substitute.

Pulled this from an older thread to make its own topic...

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss710 View Post
    ...if indeed the power supply is the problem. you can buy a AT or ATX computer unit and the hardest part will be mounting it. I can walk you through the wiring if it needs done. if you look above the most left circuit breaker you will see 2 cables that are from the power supply. the AT or ATX needs the same 2 connector. most do but I was surprised 1 time by a odd power supply that didn't and had to splice the wires to use the original style connectors.
    Is there a particular brand or model of AT or ATX power supply that utilizes same connectors or works the best?
    Anything that will be more plug-n-play than others?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

no but I ha e noticed the earlier models have the right connectors. I was at a shop a few months back who purchased 1 new recently. we had to splice the old connections to the new power as they had different ends then the older models like Haas originally used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Look up ATX power supply in Wikipedia or elsewhere. You need the four pin Molex connectors. You also have to jumper pin 14 on the 20 pin MiniFit Jr. connector to turn the power supply on.

atxpinout.jpg

4. Likes countryguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, there are 2 main-power connectors out there if I recall. My 98 VF/4 has the 24pin type. The one above is a 20pin diagram. There are many links and images out there. We'll get ya going.
    psconnector.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Haas LVPS to ATX PSU. Modular?

Quote Originally Posted by countryguy View Post
    Yeah, there are 2 main-power connectors out there if I recall. My 98 VF/4 has the 24pin type. The one above is a 20pin diagram. There are many links and images out there. We'll get ya going.
    psconnector.jpg

Still trying to wrap my head around what all is involved. Confused about if the connectors themselves are used or what. Does it utilize the 4-pin type molex connectors too?
    Mine is a 98 VF also, looks like my LVPS was replaced at some point, but our boards are probably close if not same. Were you able to find a modular power supply that is close to plug-n-play? (see pics) Or are the pinouts NOT actually compatible from ATX to Haas?

My power supply itself (see pic) looks like it has a 24-pin female PC main motherboard type connector. Not exactly sure what is on the other end on the Haas CPU board. Same connector on both ends?
    Or would a plug from a non-modular 24-pin PSU just snap in place on the Haas CPU board end?
    What I'm wondering is if I could find a modular 24-pin PSU and replace with little to no wire modding? That way I just buy a couple and keep em in stock.

Thanks!

.jpg

capture.jpg

ab.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

that moles connector is not used with the ATX type power supply. what you ha e now is a upgraded power supply. have you determined it to be bad ot your issue, before we get into this to far ? if so you to do the ATX will need 1 additional power supply for your driver logic. unless you have the updated drives. if you have the updated drives you will not need the additional power supply.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss710 View Post
    that moles connector is not used with the ATX type power supply. what you ha e now is a upgraded power supply. have you determined it to be bad ot your issue, before we get into this to far ? if so you to do the ATX will need 1 additional power supply for your driver logic. unless you have the updated drives. if you have the updated drives you will not need the additional power supply.
    Hoss, I'm only trying to do some research on it in advance. Hoping it will hold up for a while. Still have the machine apart from other repairs. Will get it back together and operational before I "fix" anything else.

Responses from a previous thread of mine on here led me to believe that my power supply needed to be replaced at some point.
    (Machine only fully boots when I turn it ON-OFF-ON)

Yes, all (4) X,Y,Z & A drives are new style. Mfgd 9/18.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My son is up this week. We are working on the shop. I’ll post a short video on you tube of my innards and pm you the link a bit later.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My son is up this week. We are working on the shop. I’ll post a short video on you tube of my innards and pm you the link a bit later.
    Looking forward to it!
    Thank you CountryGuy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK- I did a short Vid and posted. Sent you the PM w/ the URL. Hope it helps-
    A little commentary- I know where Hoss710 is coming from. He's been a keen resource here for many of us haas-newbs. Since your rebuilding- and these lowe volt PS's can cause numerous issues- My 3cents on a machine your rebuilding is to replace it. but- when it makes sense. if you're not done diagnosing and troubleshooting- you may introduce something new to your woes. But- overall, a clean and new LV PS is warranted once you want to actually use it reliably.