What's new
What's new

Automation on Haas Lathe

Anthony Cerrito

Aluminum
Trying to load a part with a front loader on a late model Haas DS30Y. The part has a flat and needs to load into the chuck with same orientation.

M19 releases when the door opens. Doesn't move much but just enough from time to time.

Any program suggestions or maybe parameter ideas?

can you orient, then brake? will the spindle brake stay on thru opening the door?

The brake is releasing also. Called Haas and they basically told us there is nothing we can do but that doesn't seem right at all. I have seen a lot of shops automate their Haas machines. It can't be the only part like this.

Back in the good ol days I was able to turn the door open parameter off. The newer machines, starting a few years back or so, don't have that parameter in the control anymore. Not that I can find at least?

can you orient, then brake? will the spindle brake stay on thru opening the door?

VF1 hours.jpg
I am also trying to confirm hours on a next gen control.The old "debug" routine isn't working. Would you happen to know if this is the correct & only hour page to pull up on the next gen control?

m19 does not appear to release on door open. i didn't check key positions on the side of the control

m19 does release at m01, m00, m30

there might be more details than that, but that's what a quick glance tells me.

FYI
The latest doors on Haas machines seem to be using a prox switch and a air plunger on the doors ,,, if the little shop mouse plugs the air line in the air/lube cabinet and adds a second prox switch and wires it into the factory switch the door does not get locked shut and the control does not know is the door is all the way open or all the way closed .... I get that your working with a lathe but for some things the control at least on the mills needs to see the door is open to hand load tools, so you just close the door a inch or so then its between the switches and thinks the door is open.

If worst comes to worst could you add an air cylinder somewhere radially around the chuck with a brake shoe on it that is either driven by a spare M code or independent switch? I don't know what absolute stability you need is, but a rigid bracket and robust cylinder with a grippy brake facing pad should work.

Just be sure it's a reliable implementation so you can't turn on the machine with the brake still activated.

If worst comes to worst could you add an air cylinder somewhere radially around the chuck with a brake shoe on it that is either driven by a spare M code or independent switch? I don't know what absolute stability you need is, but a rigid bracket and robust cylinder with a grippy brake facing pad should work.

Just be sure it's a reliable implementation so you can't turn on the machine with the brake still activated.

Thank you. I fwd that to our service manager who is going to be on sight. The machines Hydraulic system broke, waiting for Haas to come out before we can continue working on our system.

Back